Temptation is a-knockin' .... help me boys!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Temptation is a-knockin' .... help me boys!

Post by KirkD »

Last night I spent an hour on the phone with an old retired gentlemen, talking about hunting and old guns. He has a collection of old Winchesters and is thinking of starting to downsize it. He told me that he is willing to sell me an original Winchester 1886 45-70 Extra Light solid frame, straight stock in 'real nice condition with lots of blue', an original Marlin 1893 30-30 rifle with full octagon barrel in '90% condition with lots of case color on the receiver' and an original Winchester Model 1873 38-40 in well used but completely unmessed with condition. He hasn't given me any hard prices yet, but the numbers he's bandied about seem very good to me.

Now I have to say that I'm really struggling with temptation today and I need you boys to talk me out of it. I'm especially finding it hard to stop thinking of that '86 extra light and that 90% Marlin 1893. Truth be told, I already have two '86's in 45-70 one of which is an Extra Light take-down, pistol grip semi-delux. I do prefer, however, the solid frame version for durability sake, although I never take down my '86 anyway. I've also got a sweet little Winchester 30-30 carbine made in 1954, my only gun that I've named (Old Savage). I ain't parting with that light, compact little carbine, but I could be talked out of the pistol grip Take Down Extra Light if this other solid frame extra light is as good as the fellow says.

Edit: What is a fair market value for a Marlin Model 1893 30-30 with full octagon barrel in 90% condition?
Last edited by KirkD on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Temptation is a-knockin' .... help me boys!

Post by Mike D. »

Speaking for myself, it would be hard to pass up the .45-70 ELTD. I take my '86 TDs down quite often for cleaning and transport and have not had a problem with doing so. They assemble perfectly every time. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Tough decision for sure....but if you can get them at a good price
I would get them as an investment...and sell them later...
or trade them for another gun you really want in your collection

afterall....they are like having money in the bank...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Kirk,
Don't fuss around. Just give in and buy the Winchesters. If you don't you'll always regret it. IF you don't like them after a few years, you can always sell them.

There. I hope I helped you in your decision to feed your addiction! I am only trying to help.... :twisted:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

+1. They will go up in price, and investments which go up in value are always a good idea.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here is a well seasoned fellow traveler who finds that he could be advantaged by a transfer of assets to cash and you a healthy young man in your earning prime find yourself in a position blessed by the creator with the opportunity to help him. Now let's see ----- what should you do in these uncertain times when the value of cash is going down. Is the fog clearing????
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As always, if you can afford it and you want them....carpe de to your checkbook 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Sounds to me like this situation can not be correctly described as "temptation". It appears the Invisible Hand is moving a few things that need to be stewarded in your direction.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Invest! :D
PM sent.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Old Savage wrote:Here is a well seasoned fellow traveler who finds that he could be advantaged by a transfer of assets to cash and you a healthy young man in your earning prime find yourself in a position blessed by the creator with the opportunity to help him. Now let's see ----- what should you do in these uncertain times when the value of cash is going down. Is the fog clearing????
OS, you have a way of putting things that makes good sense. 8)
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Kirk, I will help you, here goes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

That good enough?

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Here is a well seasoned fellow traveler who finds that he could be advantaged by a transfer of assets to cash and you a healthy young man in your earning prime find yourself in a position blessed by the creator with the opportunity to help him. Now let's see ----- what should you do in these uncertain times when the value of cash is going down. Is the fog clearing????
What an excellent bit of wordsmithing! I doff my cap to you, Sir!

Kirk, I do believe your course of action is clear. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

It don't knock twice. Don't let it slip by. :mrgreen:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Kirk: I think that would make an excellent 30th Anniversary Gift!!! Congrats on that!!! *

Old No7

* ps: If you already got one... Then make it an early 35th Present!!! You'll just have to promise to keep the rifle -- and your bride -- for the +5 years!!! :wink:
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Amen, and well said OS :)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Kirk, A few Years ago a salesman and I were talking about shooting and old guns and related stuff. We were about done as I had to get to work and He says I have an old Winchester You might be interested in. stop over tonight, and hands Me his address. as it turned out it wasn't far from My usual route home so I did.
We go down to the basment and He had a nice heated reloading room with 3 gunsafes in it. opening one, He brought out a Winnie 38-55,made in 1896,and laid it on His pool table,it had the original Lyman tang sight . I was speechless,then He got a box of 150 pc of brass, a box of 250 cast bullets, and a set of Lyman Dies. I got this years ago and maybe You would like it.? What could I say. Don't look that Horse in the mouth.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

BlaineG wrote:As always, if you can afford it and you want them....carpe de to your checkbook 8)
He can't use the checkbook,She would know.
Man the only way I could make that on fly is "Honey I can just sell one of them and get My money back"
Edit: What is a fair market value for a Marlin Model 1893 30-30 with full octagon barrel in 90% condition?

I will give a hunert and a half --- sight unseen
Last edited by pwl44m on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Let me get this straight: You want us to talk you out of it?!! HA thats a laugh!! :lol:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don't look at me to help you,you should get them. I'm guessing that those being in Canada is a good thing, for ME! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Kirk, I can only wish someone would make me that offer. As far as advice...buy'em, man. Don't think twice about it as everyone has said, they'd be an excellent investment if you never shot a one of'em. Which I know you'll shoot. Sorry, I can't talk you out of it.
Old Law Dawg
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

You are talking to the wrong people unless you want to give me the contacts to talk to this man. lol
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You're not actually looking for help from this bunch of enablers, are you Kirk? :lol:
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

so, did you buy them yet? :wink:

and where's the pics? :D
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Young man, if you really want to be talked out of these gems, then go to the ARForum. You're speaking to fellow addicts here you know! :)

Cat
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

pokey wrote:so, did you buy them yet? :wink:

and where's the pics? :D
This is going to be a several month process. He is an older fellow who does not use the internet, so most things are happening by letter, printed photographs, and telephone .... kind of like in the old days.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Kir, let me know if you are gonna pass on the LW .45-70. I'd sure enough go to the effort to own it. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln