Got rid of cable would like to find sites to watch TV shows

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kid_couteau
Levergunner 1.0

Got rid of cable would like to find sites to watch TV shows

Post by kid_couteau »

Hi All

Wife and I discovered that we can save about 75 bucks a month by getting rid of cable TV

Since we are in a recession and since there is very little on TV now a days we are getting rid of it.

We do like to watch some tv shows like Mythbusters so I am asking if you know of any FREE websites that you can watch shows on please list them here.

PLEASE no sites that you have to take surveys or the like. I want to simply click on the site and watch stuff. Advertisements are ok but I do not want to fill out forms and stuff.

Little help please
Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth. Be friendly to others. But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

My knife and leather website

www.kidcouteau.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: Got rid of cable would like to find sites to watch TV shows

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Hulu is a good place to start.!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In 1988 I finished residency, and 13 years of liviing in cities (actually, ghettos, most of the time) in apartments and having nothing to do but study, work, study, eat, study, sleep, and study. I'd watch network television (the only kind back then unless you rented a fancy 'cable-included' apartment) once in awhile, because they still had decent shows on at the odd times of day I was usually there.

After 1988, we moved to the sticks, too far out for network unless you put up a mast, no cable on our road, and nearest sky-view ok for satellite 100 yards away. At that point we started having kids, and were too busy with that and garden and house-building to watch television. Then as the kids got into their teens and wanted to watch movies, we subscribed to NetFlix, and after the weekend, whichever kid was most helpful chore-wise, got to pick a movie to watch for the upcoming Friday, and whichever kid had the best grades the prior week, one for Saturday. Many exceptions, parents picking extra movies for a snowed-in weekend, or no movies for a busy one, but it worked pretty well.

If I could get a good 'outdoor', 'guns', 'history', and 'nature' channel, and skip all the others, I might get a satellite hookup, though...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

All the major networks have their own websites. You can watch shows on their sites. My wife just told me that from time to time questionnaires will pop up but she just closes them out and goes on. We haven't watched broadcast TV since the signals went digital. Personally I only used to watch about 2 shows on PBS in a weeks time so I could care less. We can still check out DVDs from the local library and such.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

I've caught some TV shows and made-for-TV movies on Youtube, too. Most get taken down by the networks and studios for copyright infringement, but there are still some that can be found.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

A few days ago I stumbled across http://www.cbs.com and all the original episodes ofStar Trek, commercial-free. The site also offers The Twilight Zone, and several other current and classic shows. Maybe other networks or studios have similar sites.

EDIT I see Rusty is well ahead of me.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

A digital antenna will pull in the new HD broadcasts and it's a one-time buy to set it up.

A good source for pay-per-view (the occasional movie etc.) is Apple's iTunes and Amazon offers something similar.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Get what free internet TV ya can, while ya can. The networks are finally getting saavy, and the dish and cable outfits perturbed. The end result is unless they can SELL access to the stuff, the networks are gonna either cut the feeds, limit them to old shows, or to partial or specific "come-on" episodes. They ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

If ya got signal, as above, digital TV antennae are cheap enough and actually work in urban environments.
Certified gun nut
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

We just started a Netflix subscription. $8.95 per month, so far we really like it. You can watch streaming video on your computer or on your television (through a Wii or other device) and you can recieve 1 DVD at a time. I dont know how long it takes most people to receive their DVD's , but for us if I mail out on Monday I will have another one in the mailbox on Wednesday.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I am getting ready to dump bright House....
those **** just took the sportsmans channel, the outdoor channel and
a bunch of other sports channel of the air....and if you want them back
it will cost you extra....

I dont think so
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
kid_couteau
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kid_couteau »

Hi
Yeah I have Netflix and Hulu

Netflix is very cool

Thank you all
Kid
Live with honor, ride with truth. Be friendly to others. But always carry a gun on your side and a knife in your boot because there are those that do not feel the same as this.

My knife and leather website

www.kidcouteau.com
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

check out isohunt.com