94AE trapper in .45 Colt questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

94AE trapper in .45 Colt questions

Post by vancelw »

Saw a 94 AE trapper in .45 Colt at the guns show today. Was NIB and had a tang safety instead of a cross-bolt.

How much are these selling for nowadays? I'm not crazy about the safety but at least it's not an ugly cross bolt.
I can't remember for sure, i think he wanted $650 for it. I was thinking about trading him something for it.

Same guy also had a Winchester Wrangler (mfg. 1983?) in 32 Special. Large loop NIB. Wanted $750 for it.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 94AE trapper in .45 Colt questions

Post by olyinaz »

Sadly, $650 is not out of sight for that rifle if it's like new. If I got it for $400 I'd consider it stolen. Anywhere in between and you're on the reservation.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The only things I found for 400 or less were well-used Marlin .44 mag and .30-30s that had been spray painted (and other horrendous acts)

I've got japchester .45 Colt 1892 with a 24" barrel. It has no safety but has a rebounding trigger. I don't know if i want a trapper version badly enough to take a beating on trading or sell it/buy different.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I wouldn't trade the Browning for one, that's for sure. My 94 trapper is no where near as slick as my 92s and you can find a Rossi easily.

Just me talkin'...

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I paid $500 for Mine, as new with no box.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

pwl44m wrote:I paid $500 for Mine, as new with no box.
Now that's much more like it. When was that and where?

Thanks,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You musta been at Market Hall. I don't ever remember seeing any sort of deals there. That seems rather high. In the first two years after Winchester's dropping the 94 prices zoomed up.. but have pretty much fallen back to pre-closing pricing. The "...oh I have to have one..." syndrome and poor economy have met head-to-head and the poor economy along with "...they made over 7 million of them..." reality have won out.

He's on the high side for both. A "like new" (without the box & papers that all they can be), .45 Colt AE Trapper is worth up to about $500, depending on it's condition.

I bought a '76 BiCentennial commemorative at the height of the craze for $650, and it WAS NIB, with papers and hang tags. Did I steal it? No, I paid what I thought was fair, and seller apparently agreed. The .32WS would also be overpriced. I've always found that the "blue book" of Gun Values was tardy in both raising and lowering their values. Actually, they are VERY relunctant to lower any guns value after they've raised them. And many dealers like to hang onto that 2008 version that said a Winchester 94 was worth $1,000 and tell the unsuspecting, "...hey, at $750 I'm sellin' it for ¾ of the value TWO YEARS ago."

My advice, keep shopping.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Where was the gun show this weekend? You didn't call, you didn't write, you didn't even hook your horn when you drove by!!! Ok, I know where I stand now :cry: .

I bought mine about a year and a half ago for $425.00 at a gun shop in Euless. Not new in box but pretty good shape with the cross bolt safety. I removed the safety and plugged the holes, great little guns and a whole lotta fun to shoot.
Ricky

DWWC
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RKrodle wrote:Where was the gun show this weekend? You didn't call, you didn't write, you didn't even hook your horn when you drove by!!! Ok, I know where I stand now :cry: .

I bought mine about a year and a half ago for $425.00 at a gun shop in Euless. Not new in box but pretty good shape with the cross bolt safety. I removed the safety and plugged the holes, great little guns and a whole lotta fun to shoot.

It's in the big city of Paris, and you didn't miss much. Explains why I was wasting my time looking at over-priced guns. They were the only interesting things there. The last one they had here was a decent size for a little town, but once they start having a well-attended gun show, EVERYONE wants to have a guns show and the attendance drops off.

$500 sounds more like it. I can't spend any money anyway...I'm still trying to pay for bullets for the .348 :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

olyinaz wrote:
pwl44m wrote:I paid $500 for Mine, as new with no box.
Now that's much more like it. When was that and where?

Thanks,
Oly
About a month ago in Yuba City Ca.
I have picked up all the reloading supplies for it. Just have to get things set up.
Check My profile , there are pics on it.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Griff wrote:You musta been at Market Hall. I don't ever remember seeing any sort of deals there. That seems rather high. In the first two years after Winchester's dropping the 94 prices zoomed up.. but have pretty much fallen back to pre-closing pricing. The "...oh I have to have one..." syndrome and poor economy have met head-to-head and the poor economy along with "...they made over 7 million of them..." reality have won out.

He's on the high side for both. A "like new" (without the box & papers that all they can be), .45 Colt AE Trapper is worth up to about $500, depending on it's condition.

I bought a '76 BiCentennial commemorative at the height of the craze for $650, and it WAS NIB, with papers and hang tags. Did I steal it? No, I paid what I thought was fair, and seller apparently agreed. The .32WS would also be overpriced. I've always found that the "blue book" of Gun Values was tardy in both raising and lowering their values. Actually, they are VERY relunctant to lower any guns value after they've raised them. And many dealers like to hang onto that 2008 version that said a Winchester 94 was worth $1,000 and tell the unsuspecting, "...hey, at $750 I'm sellin' it for ¾ of the value TWO YEARS ago."

My advice, keep shopping.
That's some excellent commentary on values, pricing and the Blue Book.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

pwl44m wrote:About a month ago in Yuba City Ca. I have picked up all the reloading supplies for it. Just have to get things set up. Check My profile , there are pics on it.
Thanks. You done well.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

paid $500 for a NIB .45 Trapper 4 or 5 months ago ---- but (and this is a big but ) mine was the cross-bolt safety and not the tang safety. However, i wanted it, and was comfortable with the price , so i bought it, knowing full well what most levergun guys' perceprion of the crossbolt safety is.

Havent got to shoot it for sporting purposes yet, but its excellent fun blasting 4" clay targets off the 50 yard berm at my range
----- Doug
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If I remember correctly mine cost about 185$ brand new in 89 :P :mrgreen:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Don McDowell wrote:If I remember correctly mine cost about 185$ brand new in 89 :P :mrgreen:
Oh shut up :lol: I was busy back then and couldn't get to the store.

Everytime I go to a gun show and see 788s for $450 and up I can't help but think of my 1974 Remington catalog that shows the MSRP of $104.95 :cry:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hey Don, you gotta better deal on yours than I did. I paid $249.95 for mine in 86. :mrgreen: :D :) :P

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yeh at that time TNT guns n ammo in Gillette was pretty easy folks to deal with.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don McDowell wrote:If I remember correctly mine cost about 185$ brand new in 89 :P :mrgreen:
My mdl 94 44mag was only 39.99 on board ship in 1972. Some other guy had paid the other $60 of it's MSRP!

One of these other gents will probably come along and tell us about his NIB buy at $20-something back in the 1920's!!!! We ought not go there!!!! :P :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: Yup remember when 89$ would get you either a ruger blackhawk or a Win 94? For 100 you could get a brand new model p colt :o
And the big flurry for Model 29's after Dirty Harry and some folks paid more for them then than what they'll sticker for now :roll: :mrgreen: