Win 94 AE, 45 Colt

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Win 94 AE, 45 Colt

Post by pwl44m »

Picked up My 45 Tues.I need to look My guns over a little better. I was thinking it was an earlier version 94 , ser # 6529xxx puts it at 94 or 95 from what I can tell.Blue Book only goes to 93. It has a tang safety and rebound hammer which doesn't bother Me.( now I know what a rebound hammer is )
Any how I shot it yesterday,very light recoil,pictures of the brass might explain part of that. was way off target.I finally got things adjusted to where it finally got on paper, but with my Eyes still couldn't keep it close to center. A scope will be the only option I have for that.
I was shooting lead and did notice with a couple jacketed bullets it had a little more recoil.
By the looks of the brass, am I dealing with unsized brass or a very loose chamber,there was even powder residue on the rounds coming out of the magazine(not much but some)
Pics of the Gun and fired brass inc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by pwl44m on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Win 94 AE, 45 Colt

Post by J Miller »

Perry,

Congrats on your 94. Looks like a 16" barrel in your pics. I have one just about like it only mines an 85 vintage.

If you scope it you'll ruin it's lines and handling. Put a Williams FP on it. They make them that use the scope base holes and they work quite well.

The brass you showed is a light load. Insufficient pressure to expand the brass to seal the chambers. Probably cowboy loads. You'll need to shoot standard pressure or above loads to stop that.

My Trapper is fond of the 265gr Keith SWC pushed along by 9.0grs Unique. Shoots really good with that load.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

J Miller wrote:Perry,

Congrats on your 94. Looks like a 16" barrel in your pics. I have one just about like it only mines an 85 vintage.

If you scope it you'll ruin it's lines and handling. Put a Williams FP on it. They make them that use the scope base holes and they work quite well.

The brass you showed is a light load. Insufficient pressure to expand the brass to seal the chambers. Probably cowboy loads. You'll need to shoot standard pressure or above loads to stop that.

My Trapper is fond of the 265gr Keith SWC pushed along by 9.0grs Unique. Shoots really good with that load.

Joe
+1 See what your bore size is and go .001 over with the cast. Congrats on a fine little gun. Are you sure it has a tang safety, or just the safety which disengages when you pull up the lever? I thought tang safeties came along in the 2000's, just before Winchester's 94's went away.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

@ Joe, thx so much for the re. I was hoping it was something simple as the gun is like new. I hear what U r saying about the scope but will a Peep suit My eyes ? I'm far sighted so I need glasses to see up close then I can't see the target and visa versa.
I have another box of 250 gr JHP + P hunting load . I will try some of those and see how it acts.
Oh it is indeed a 16in barrell- barely. when I originally posted before I bought it I would have sworn that I read on it 94 AE Trapper, but it doesn't. Just says 94 AE cal 45 COLT
Last edited by pwl44m on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rebounding hammer introduced 1981
Angle Eject introduced 1983
.45 Colt Trapper model introduced 1985
Hammers drilled and tapped for offset extension introduced 1986
Bull barrels introduced for Trappers 1991
Link pin retaining screw returns in 1991
Cross bolt safety introduced 1992
Tang safety introduced 2004
Mdl 94, 70 and 1300 discontinued March 2006

Dan
'94 Winchester Fan
"Slow down, you'll get a more harmonious outcome...."
Tang safeties were introduced in '04 according to this time line by OD. I couldn't get the pics clear enough on my monitor to see the top tang, but if it does have a tang safety the dealers date of manufacture is off quite a bit.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pwl44m wrote:@ Joe, thx so much for the re. I was hoping it was something simple as the gun is like new. I hear what U r saying about the scope but will a Peep suit My eyes ? I'm far sighted so I need glasses to see up close then I can't see the target and visa versa.
I have another box of 250 gr JHP + P hunting load . I will try some of those and see how it acts.
Well, I'm near sighted, I can see the sights great without my glasses, but ..... where's the target? With my glasses I can see the target great, but .... where 's the sights?

I use peep sights and things work out. Your rifle will have a post front sight on it. Most likely if you put the Williams FP on it you won't need a new front sight, so it would cost less to try than a scope costs.
Remember though, you look through the aperture, not at it.
Because you are looking through an aperture, the front sight will appear crisper and brighter.
There are many sizes of apertures to choose from, or adjustable ones as well.

Those 250 gr hunting loads will probably shoot very well. But a small hint of warning. If you try the 300gr and above +P hunting loads that little Trapper will tell your shoulder all about it. :twisted: :shock:

Joe
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Awesome rifle, congrats !!

PWL, I have the same eyes as you so my Trapper is scoped: Burris 3-9x40. I tried a peep sight but my eyes just wouldn't work with it, gotta have a scope.

I don't reload and my most-favorite ammo is something I found & tried recently: 250-gr Hornady XTP/HP, +P powder load, about 1400 fps. Took it out shooting last month and love it. I put a bowling pin at 100 yards and couldn't miss. I send Kevin my used brass and he loads it up for me at a reasonable price. (I also have some of Kevin's 300-grain ammo but haven't tried it yet).
http://underwoodammo.com/Home.html

Cheers,

Carl