OT- Making a Dummy Round

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

OT- Making a Dummy Round

Post by RustyJr »

Several years ago when I recieved my grandfathers 270 from my uncle he still had one round left from a box of ammo that my granfather had. I am wanting to turn that last round into a necklace. Pulling the bullet and deactivating the primer should not be an issue but when it come to drilling a hole through the case to put a piece of leather through I dont know how I could do it wihout collapsing the case. I'm wondering if putting a piece of dowel in the case would support it enough.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT- Making a Dummy Round

Post by J Miller »

Pull the bullet, dump the powder, pop out the primer then put a rotating ring in the primer pocket through the flash hole. Hook the chain to that. No drilling needed. Reseat the bullet and your done.

Or something similar. I've got a couple key chains made like that.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

What J.Miller said, take the cartridge case and drop in a your wife's favorite crafts shop, show them what you have, they will very likely have just what you need.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I've drilled 45-70 cases on a drill press - no probem. If you were to try to "punch" a hole, there might be a problem, but they drill very easily.
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

First, you gonna need to use an intertial bullet puller to get the bullet out without damage, then pop the primer in a gun. NO OTHER SAFE WAY to deactivea a primer that you can trust so it don't go bang when it gets hot from drilling. When yer done, you seat the bullet back in the case with a press, or using a small hardwood block with a small hole in it that ya put over the nose of the bullet, then tap the block to run the bullet in with a hammer.

I've done em both ways. They drill easily enough. Hint, use a scrap or two of old belt leather to cushion the case when chucking it in a vise. Don't crush heck out of it, but get it snug. Then start with a arrogant idiot punch

(GRRRR! ATTN: Mods, this is silly. ya see how the stupid auto censor changed the name of a PR, 1CK punch. Come on, when in the interest of sanitary language, we lose the ability actually communicate using the proper names of things, we run the same risks as they did in the Dark Ages, losing the formulas for concrete, etc) punch to make a mark, then a small sharp drill run fast to pilot the hole, THEN the big hole when cross drilling.

Drilling in from the back side, you can get the little swivels etc that are threaded, so yeah, drill and tap the web of the case at the bottom of the primer pocket and bingo. Or what I did for more crude "jingles" was to simply open up the flash hole some and use a "U" shape with little ears on the top (think fancy script "U", to make a "harp" out of SS wire. The wire is caught in the hole, and the "loop" sticks out....
Last edited by adirondakjack on Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified gun nut
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

When drilling cases to make practice rounds I first fill them with Cerrosafe chamber casting alloy. Melts out easily after drilling.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

adirondakjack wrote: Then start with a arrogant idiot punch

(GRRRR! ATTN: Mods, this is silly. ya see how the stupid auto censor changed the name of a PR, 1CK punch. Come on, when in the interest of sanitary language, we lose the ability actually communicate using the proper names of things, we run the same risks as they did in the Dark Ages, losing the formulas for concrete, etc) punch to make a mark, then a small sharp drill run fast to pilot the hole, THEN the big hole when cross drilling.
You could have just used another name for it like 'center punch.'
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

COSteve wrote:
adirondakjack wrote: Then start with a arrogant idiot punch

You could have just used another name for it like 'center punch.'

The point is I shouldn't HAVE TO. They don't have to sell us turkey "chests" just because some knidergarten somewhere won't allow the use of the word breast.

It never ceases to amazee me how folks so adamant about FREEDOM when it coms to guns can so ready fall into line behind the most restrictive rules with regard speech, etc.
Certified gun nut