Mystery (to me ) 44 mag Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Mystery (to me ) 44 mag Powder

Post by otteray »

I was given several hundred rounds of 44 mag ammo from my late friend and neighbor's son.
I know he bought a lot of Miwall ammo and this may or may not be some; but I don't recognize the shiny, silvery, flat flake disc powder. No dark powder like the picture may mislead you to believe.
It's about 6 grains behind a 240 Gr cast bullet with a purple/red crayonlike lube that I removed to weigh the lead.
Any clues on what I may have?
I'm interested because the bullet is a good fit for my 629 magnum Mt Gun at .429" and I may want to duplicate it if it is accurate.
Way to small for my S&W 29-2 that is about .432"!
Image[/img]
By the way, the book title in the background is worth it's weight in gold to me for old Colt SA information.
otteray
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Looks like Unique to me!
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Could be WW231. 6 grains would be a decent plinker load.

I have never loaded Bullseye. I think it's a finer powder also.

Byron
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

the absolute safest and easiest way of identifying it is to weight the powder, bullet, and chronography the speed. then go to the books and find the appropriate powder for given bullet weight.

good luck. i have been on the same search as you have when i have been given reloads. i usually don't shoot reloads unless i know the person who has loaded them. too many people out there don't know what they are doing for me to risk it. this is just my opinion though.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Old Time Hunter wrote:Looks like Unique to me!
Nope, not Unique which is dark- this is shiney and silvery, but about the same size as Unique.
Not Bullseye, either. I have some to compare.
I do plan to chronograph it this weekend if it's not still raining here in sunny central coast California!
I did know the late person well and I went with him to the range frequently.
He was into mellow loads, nothing very hot.
In fact, I made some light loads for him once and he thought they were to hot...
But, I will proceed with caution and probably run it through my Super Blackhack first!
otteray
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

I would pull the bullets and use the mystery powder for

Post by Tumbleweeds »

fertilizer. You still have the primered cases and bullets, all you need is a can of H110.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Re: I would pull the bullets and use the mystery powder for

Post by otteray »

Tumbleweeds wrote:fertilizer. You still have the primered cases and bullets, all you need is a can of H110.
If you are saying it is H110; no, I compared that too. H110 is much finer.
I use that for my M1 carbine.
Or, are you saying to pull the bullets and reload with H110?
otteray
Tony
Levergunner

Post by Tony »

It looks allot like TiteGroup. I've been doing a little work with it lately. You don't need to use much of it, so 6 grains sounds like a light plinking load in a 44 mag. TiteGroup is a flat silver disk powder simular to your picture.

Tony
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

A very knowledgeable & experienced reloader once told me "if you didn't reload it, don't shoot. Break it down for the brass & bullet."

Adhering to the above advice, I don't shoot anyone else's reloads. Anyone can make a mistake.

Same thing w/ powder. A few times I was offered opened powder cans from a deceased reloader's cache. I always respectfully decline as I recall when Ol' Pokey Davis mistakenly mixed two different powders & blew up a Springfield 1903A3....
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ray Newman wrote:A very knowledgeable & experienced reloader once told me "if you didn't reload it, don't shoot. Break it down for the brass & bullet."

Adhering to the above advice, I don't shoot anyone else's reloads. Anyone can make a mistake.

Same thing w/ powder. A few times I was offered opened powder cans from a deceased reloader's cache. I always respectfully decline as I recall when Ol' Pokey Davis mistakenly mixed two different powders & blew up a Springfield 1903A3....
+ 1! Watched a guy blow up a fine Parker double when he ran out of his ammo on a stage at a cowboy shoot! Glad I was far enough away at the loading table. No one got hurt, but IIRC, split the barrel from the web, bent the hinge pin and blew off the forend.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Well, my lawn could use some fertilizer anyway.
Think I'll break 'em down and reload with a known powder.
Looks like the 240 gr bullet could be used to make some .44 special rounds that I needed to cast anyhow, since I'm out of them.
I already have hundreds of .44 mag rounds anyway.
If Dad was still alive, I would have called him and asked his opinion.
I think I know what he would have said- "You knucklehead!" (That's what he called me when I screwed up as a kid. Somtimes he called me knothead.)
Ain't worth taking a chance...Thanks for reminding me of what could happen, guys.
otteray