seasonal/regional availability/popularity of levers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1historian
Levergunner

seasonal/regional availability/popularity of levers

Post by 1historian »

As a follow up of my recent discovery in Kittery Maine...what have folks observed on the used gun racks in their area?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Re: seasonal/regional availability/popularity of levers

Post by 86er »

Lots of Win '94s in all kinds of conditions starting at $325 for a well used 30-30 that shows it's use, more for pre 1940's rifles and carbines and more for other caliber like 25-35, 38-55 originals. Most pre 64's hovering in the $500 range for a well used but cared for gun. Commemoratives, mint conditions, in-the-box and unfired are in the $700-$800 range. Not an abundance of Marlins. The usual assortment of 336's in 30-30 start in the $300 range up to $450 depending on the exact features, scope included, condition, etc. 35's are bringing $100 more, especially in the pre-safety models. A few 45-70's in the 1895 model are running $425-$550 for guide guns and cowboys. Most overpriced in my opinion is the Win 9422's with Mags going for $500+ and RF going for $700 range.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

There is nothing close that has many Guns.However one of the shops We do have has a Gun I have My eye on, It is a Win 94 AE Trapper in 45 LC. The owner wasn't there and it wasn't priced so will have to go back.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

While leverguns (mainly Marlins, with fewer Winchesters) are commmon in our area, the shops are not flooded with used examples -- folks hang on to them for the most part. When a levergun does appear, it is usually a Marlin carbine, .30-30. Prices are reasonable, and sometimes darned low if the gun is just a bit rough-looking. The general attitude seems to be, "just a .30-30, nothing special", which suits me fine. The priciest stuff, and the items that attract the most interest, are mostly things like the Remington Sendero and other high-powered, specialized long-range stuff that ironically really has very little practical application in these parts.
allhands
Levergunner 2.0

Post by allhands »

I started my reply in the other thread, but you all need to check out Cabelas in maine!!!!!!!!! The guns are as cheap as ever! with most being under $400 for pre 64's in great shape. This is an odd market here, as the lever is going the way of rotary dial phones (although I know a few people who still have them)
Bill Nowicki
Headed "upta camp"
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Haven't been able to find any .357/.44/.45 caliber levers, myself...probably got sucked up by the cowboy action crowd here in CA, and by those that are looking for economy in reloading with the new handgun ammo bill that is supposed to go into effect Feb of 2011. I've only seen a few Marlin .30-30s, and one Rossi in .454 Casull.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Been seeing lots of Win 94's, plenty of 336's and 1894's. Even been seeing more Browning BLR's than usual.
NRA Life Member
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No brag---fact. The Southeast Pennsylvania area is the best area in the country for antique and classic guns still in great condition. Why? 1.) Pa. is and always has been very pro-gun. 2.) Hunting, shooting, and competing has always been a big thing here. 3.) Plenty of "old money". Hunters used their guns more for pleasure than a tool. 4.) With lots of jobs and a fair amount of money, people have been able to afford several guns. Most of these just sat around waiting for people like me to snag 'em up 50-150 years later :D

To this day, I/we/my buddy Tom are still snagging nice guns from estates/first buyers of the guns that have had little use. Single action Colts and all of the models of Winchesters (except 66's and Henry's) are constantly coming our way. But I must admit 86's, 73's, and 95's are thinning out a bunch. I did grab a kick-butt 73 made in 1882 a few years ago from a guy who had it laying around for the last 60 years. I turned down his pair of 1880's S&W's DA .32's as I can find them any day of the week. About a month after that a guy shows up at the house with a new unfired 1884 Trapdoor that was his grandfathers. Its mine now :D

All guns made after the war are so common I turn my nose up at 'em.

I could go one for hours about the goodies. OM Rugers, pre-war 'Smiths & Colts are common...if you know where to look.........and who you know. Even Revolutionary guns turn up as Brandywine Battlefield and Valley Forge are just a few miles down the road and the heirs to these guns want the money. In 1958 a huge cannon was found on my wife's uncles farm that was buried by Washington's troops who were getting away from the British during the Battle of the Brandywine. Its on display on the edge of their property. Old cannon balls are still being found.

If I want to drive 100 miles, there's a gunshow every weekend. Most are within 50 miles. Lots of guys walking around with nice stuff, often looking for money and a quick sale. Good gun auctions can be had once a month.

Yea, I bless my Daddy everyday for making the move from western Pa. to here right after the Great War. :D

My son is always pestering me to move to Colorado. Yea, they have the scenery but we gots the guns, and nice ones :D -----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[quote="darkwater"]. . . and by those that are looking for economy in reloading with the new handgun ammo bill that is supposed to go into effect Feb of 2011./quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT "handgun ammo bill" . . . ?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc,

I'm sure it's something to do with CA.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Winchesters are kinda scarce on the used gun racks, around here, but there are a few. Pre-64's bring a premium. Even the Marlins are not as often found as we used to see them. All of the pre-safety stuff is getting harder to find. I think people are hanging onto these guns more then they used to.

The average hunter in this area prefers a boltaction, with a big scope it seems, And you don't see as many levers in the field, although my own circle of hunting friends and relatives use Browning BLR's quite a bit, including myself.

However, the cheap people who hock their deer rifle after every season, are liable to be seen with almost anything, espacally those cheap topper singleshots, and low end bolt actions, or even old Mosin Nagants and SKS's.

However, the Remington 700 is probably the most prolific of any rifles actually seen in the field these days, in this area, with a minumn of a 3x9 scope on it. Also the Savage 110 with a black plastic stock.

When I was a young man, around here, the usual rifle seen was either a 30/30 leveraction or a Remington 742 semi auto, with a few British .303's and Swedish mausers thrown in.
NRA Life Member, Patron
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

AJMD429 wrote:
darkwater wrote:. . . and by those that are looking for economy in reloading with the new handgun ammo bill that is supposed to go into effect Feb of 2011./quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

WHAT "handgun ammo bill" . . . ?
Off-topic...

Realize that I'm talking CA here...not nationwide. However, if the lawsuits against it fails, then ordinary consumers in CA cannot order any handgun ammo by mail or internet. All ammo purchased would require a face-to-face transfer, a thumbprint and a whole bunch of personal info to be kept on file. This was AB962, passed by the legislature and signed by the Governator last fall and takes effect in February of 2011. Here's the text of the law: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bil ... tered.html This law mirrors what Sacramento and LA have had in place for a while, but makes it statewide. The law is being challenged in two separate cases, the first argues that it violates the Federal Interstate Commerce Clause and the second argues that it is poorly written and confusing, sweeping many rifle calibers into the definition of handgun ammo just because a handgun exists in that caliber as well.

And now, back on-topic...