OT Fired a .357 for the first time

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT Fired a .357 for the first time

Post by Otto »

I am pondering the purchase of a DA revolver, possibly for concealed carry. I am leaning toward a .357, such as a 4" model 27 or 28. I realize an "N" frame may be a bit on the large size.

I have a 6-1/2" New Model Blackhawk I bought several years ago. I had put a handful of .38's through it, and never done much else. I put 18 rounds through it today, and was surprised how much recoil it had compared to my .45 Vaquero. It had much more of a snap to it. I didn't expect such a difference between a 158-grain bullet at maybe 1200-1300fps, and 250 grains at 800fps or so. I think I'll keep the .357's for my Rossi 92, and use either .38's or light-loaded .357's in the revolver.

It was much accurater than the Vaquero. I can keep the .45 on a sheet of paper at 25 yards, but the Blackhawk made a group about 5 inches across.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT Fired a .357 for the first time

Post by J Miller »

The .357 Mag has recoil when shot from a wheel gun ...... :o :shock:
I been shooting them for 40 years and never knew that.

Seriously although the 357 has a sharper recoil it's not really bad. Try some 300gr CorBon loads from your Vaquero (NOT New Vaquero), that will get your attention. :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Full on .357s are pretty snappy indeed. The small 5 shot wheel guns that make good CC pieces get really sporty with full house .357s (not just the recoil but the flash as well) and I personally carry .38 Special +Ps in mine because I think it's plenty of protection and I know I can control it better.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

J Miller wrote:The .357 Mag has recoil when shot from a wheel gun ...... :o :shock:
Yeah, exactly my thought. When I compare the momentum of the two bullets, they are roughly equivalent. If anything the .45 should have slightly more. I wish I had a chronograph.

Seriously although the 357 has a sharper recoil it's not really bad. Try some 300gr CorBon loads from your Vaquero (NOT New Vaquero), that will get your attention. :mrgreen:

Joe
I have shot a few "Ruger-only" .45 loads, and while they were stout, the .357 seemed to have more of a snap. I guess I need to investigate further.

I don't mean to suggest that it was unpleasant, just that it was more than I expected, and enough to make rapid shooting difficult.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto,

You're right, the recoil is pretty close to the same for a full house 357 and a normal .45 Colt in similar guns. It's just the .357 is as you said snappier and much louder. I think the muzzle blast actually make the recoil feel worse than it is.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

It's snappy but controllable. I don't mind it in a heavy revolver that fits me. The snappiest round I've ever tried from a handgun was the .357 SIG. It may have been the SIG 229, it may have been the round itself but I didn't care for it at all. I'm betting it was the round itself since the 229 I had in .40 was much more pleasant to shoot.

For me, a 4" M28 is just about perfection. I don't remember where I ran across the statement, but for a long time my sig line read "The Python may be a better combat arm but when you run out of bullets, nothing screams pistol whip like an N Frame!". I still get a kick out of that statement, I may go back to using it... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

J Miller wrote: I think the muzzle blast actually make the recoil feel worse than it is.

Joe
Not the same as the satisfying boom from the .45 :wink: .

Otto what is the bbl length on your 45 Vaquero? The one I have now is 7 1/2" and it handles heavy loads very well with the longer bore. I had a Bisley with a 4 5/8 bbl on it and with the warmer .45 loads that thing had a lot of snap so much so that I let it go.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

JReed wrote:
J Miller wrote: I think the muzzle blast actually make the recoil feel worse than it is.

Joe
Not the same as the satisfying boom from the .45 :wink: .

Otto what is the bbl length on your 45 Vaquero? The one I have now is 7 1/2" and it handles heavy loads very well with the longer bore. I had a Bisley with a 4 5/8 bbl on it and with the warmer .45 loads that thing had a lot of snap so much so that I let it go.
The one I used for the hot loads was 4-5/8 inches. I only tried them once, because other than woodchucks and nuisance deer I am mostly a recreational shooter. Ain't no grizzlies 'round here.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

awp101 wrote:
For me, a 4" M28 is just about perfection. I don't remember where I ran across the statement, but for a long time my sig line read "The Python may be a better combat arm but when you run out of bullets, nothing screams pistol whip like an N Frame!". I still get a kick out of that statement, I may go back to using it... :lol:
.....Just about perfection, but that's why I recently upgraded to Model 27. :wink: Those "N" frames do double as a "hammer" don't they. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWIW...

I carry a 2.5" SP101 when not working.

I carry Federal Premium 180gr SJHPs in the cylinder because I find 180s to be more controllable (less "snappy") than 158s or 125s.

Yes, I know that the 180 probably won't perform to spec from a snubby, but I like hits.

Also, FWIW, the SP101 will eat Buffalo Bore 180gr WFNs - and spit them out at 1200fps - all day long.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The 686P L-frame, 3" barrel makes an excellent carry .357.

Back when the FBI carried wheelguns, the 3" Model 13 i believe, was the gun of choice. Nice compromise between concealment and actually hitting anything past bathroom stall distance.

I'm an auto guy, if i have a wheelgun for carry it's J-frame, but the 3" .357 is a nice setup.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I know I said I was considering the 27 for concealed carry, but if I were more serious about that I would look at a used model 36, a new M&P 360, or a Ruger SP101. I can't see myself shooting .357's though.

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I carry a S&W 638 bodyguard w/2.5" bbl. in 357 for my second and with full house loads it'll get your attention. That's for sure and for certain. It feels akin to someone pujtting your hand on an anvil and smacking it with a 2 lbs. ball peen hammer. Not something I do very often. Usually I shoot 38's, but I have to qual with the rounds I carry and those are full house Federal Hydrashoks.
Old Law Dawg
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

How about a Ruger LCR in 357 for your concealed carry?

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5450.html

I think snappy has been redefined. :D
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Otto, here is another very good shooter that several guys at the gun club use for ccw and love em.
priced around $350 and lifetime warranty.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jdad wrote:
awp101 wrote:
.....Just about perfection, but that's why I recently upgraded to Model 27. :wink:
Let's just say I can't have nice things... :oops: :lol:

I had a 27-2 for a bit but the 6" barrel just never did hang right for me.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Otto wrote:I know I said I was considering the 27 for concealed carry, but if I were more serious about that I would look at a used model 36, a new M&P 360, or a Ruger SP101. I can't see myself shooting .357's though.
Problem is as crime gets worse and the drugs being used are much more potent.(like pot now is they say 12X more potent "THC levels" than the stuff in the 70's along with the Meth/Heroin cocltails they do.
Hitting them in the chest/gut whatever with the .38 when their wacked beyond belief(they might get you)

You need somthing that will stop them first shot. If not a .357 then a .44spl or .45colt
If that time ever came(you wont even notice the recoil)just make the first shot count and you wont need a second!
You can handle a .357 in one of those Otto! :wink:
Also that .44spl loaded with those Grizzly Extremes kinda might seem nice, and them making a hole about the size to stuff a golf ball in or through :shock:
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

if I could successfully conceal a N frame I wouldn't think twice about a .357, I'd be carrying .44 Spl. .45 Colt even better.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Idahoser wrote:if I could successfully conceal a N frame I wouldn't think twice about a .357, I'd be carrying .44 Spl. .45 Colt even better.
How does a 4" N-frame compare to a 1911, for example? The only N-frame I have ever seen up close is a 29 Classic at the local gun store. I was surprised at the fact that it didn't seem as heavy or as bulky as I had expected, but of course I am accustomed to handling "old" Vaqueros.

It is highly unlikely that I will ever carry concealed. I lead a pretty milquetoast lifestyle in a quiet area, and go out of my way to avoid trouble, including bad areas. I am mainly looking for an excuse to buy another gun, when I am SUPPOSED to be downsizing my arsenal.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Length wise it's about the same as a 1911. The bulk of the cylinder and grip (depending on the stocks) makes the difference.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I recently acquired a S&W 686 in 357 Mag with the 8 3/8" barrel.
It's nowhere near as snappy as a 4" revolver. It's actually pretty
comfortable to shoot, and REALLY accurate. I've been playing with
158 gr. JSP bullets over either 14 gr. of 2400 or 16.0 - 16.2 gr.
of H110. The 2400 load is a little bit more comfortable. Both powders
seem to give accurate loads.

-Stretch
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Dude!!

"It was much accurater " :o Really?

Come on Man. A little work on the grammer is in order. Please!

As far as the .357m goes I have a Mode 66 S&W with a 2 1/2" Barrel that
with the right grips is as controlable as my .44 Magnum with bear killer loads.

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

2ndovc wrote:Dude!!

jb
Dude, lighten up! It was an (apparently unsuccessful) attempt at levity!

A little work on your spelling is in order. Please!

(wink-wink)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Otto wrote:

jb

---------------

Was trying to be subtle.
Successful?
Got your attention didn't I?

jb
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

2ndovc wrote:
Otto wrote:

jb

---------------

Was trying to be subtle.
Successful?
Got your attention didn't I?

jb
Abort as suttle as a 44 mangum. Wear our yew hunting bares inn Ohio anyway?

End buy the weigh, ewe also spilled "grammar" uncorrectly.

Stump Buster
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Stump Buster »

Otto wrote: It was much accurater than the Vaquero.
Hey Otto....PLEASE Don't take this the wrong way as I like your way of putting things "more better" than my old favorite sayin'....mind if I use it? :wink:

Stump

PS - Keep shooting those 357's and the 45's...they're the last two revolver cartridges I've settled on keeping. :D
Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, live like you ain't afraid to die and don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "The Ride" performed by the very much missed, Chris LeDoux.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Stump Buster wrote:
Otto wrote: It was much accurater than the Vaquero.
Hey Otto....PLEASE Don't take this the wrong way as I like your way of putting things "more better" than my old favorite sayin'....mind if I use it? :wink:

Stump

PS - Keep shooting those 357's and the 45's...they're the last two revolver cartridges I've settled on keeping. :D
I once told my Plt SGT he had just said "the idiotic-est thing I've ever heard".

He was mad at first, but after a couple minutes he admitted I was right.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Nothing's a guaranteed first round stop short of a 12ga slug center mass or a small nuclear weapon.

I've seen a guy hit with one 9mm FMJ center mass who dropped in his tracks crawled up onto a porch and bled out. And another who was hit with 2 .40s, adrenalin kicked in and he didn't know he was hit. He was about 5'6", 130lb and after being double tapped at muzzle contact distance with .40 Hydrashoks, center mass, nearly fought off 3 large cops (6', 200 lb real cops not some 110lber hired to look good in the papers).

Some people take a hit from a .22 and stop, others take 15-20 .45s and don't.

Carry the biggest thing in the general size you can, and keep hitting them till they stop. If 2-3 in the chest don't do it, aim for the head. Brain dead is brain dead. It even stops zombies. :mrgreen:

I generally carry a .45, but with hollowpoints (or even without) a 9mm can get it done. There's something nice about having an entire box of ammo in the magazine sometimes.