Beware the NEW gun may be pitted and rusty.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Beware the NEW gun may be pitted and rusty.

Post by AJMD429 »

I just thought I'd post the observation that several times over the past few years, I've bought a new levergun (blued), and upon disassembly, found quite a bit of rust on the outside of the magazine tube, even to the point of pitting, and often a bit of rust on the front of the receiver and underside of the barrel as well.

I assume this is due to moisture from the forend wood or some acidity or something from the stain in the forend.

One thing I dislike about leverguns is that they usually have two-piece stocks and are easier to get water or debris in place that aren't easily exposed for cleaning.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Beware the NEW gun may be pitted and rusty.

Post by darkwater »

Did you keep the guns and correct the issues yourself, send them back to the factory, or back to the gun store? I assume it would be covered under the factory warranty if it's new.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

were they Henrys by chance?

Friend of mine who owns a gun shop here in florida
has been having rust problems with Henry rifles
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I guess I've been lucky so far. I've never had this trouble with a new gun. I have bought some really old ones that had rust and crud under the wood, a thorough cleaning and oiling took care of it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I have had the same issue and unfortunately it's been with brand new Rossi guns. I've sent them back (Davidson's has have a very good exchange policy) but one was so bad that it had already developed some pitting. Very little was visible above the wood line - most of the disaster was hidden.

Something else to remember is that gun cleaning sprays like "Gunblaster" etc. are very good at displacing moisture but you have to then make sure that you douse your piece with an oil that has good migration tendencies so that it'll creep down under wood and into crevices etc.

If only stainless lever guns weren't so ugly! They sure make a lot of sense from a practicality perspective.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

One thing I like about the Ruger's is the one-piece stock you can remove quickly and expose all the action and barrel for cleaning. Just wish they made them in stainless, and in other chamberings, and without the barrel band.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "