on buying new guns...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

on buying new guns...

Post by Rusty »

All of us have purchased new guns from time to time without consulting the CFO of the house. I have made an amazing discovery about those purchases. It seems that sometimes our most basic instincts work against us. I know my wife has no interest in guns whatsoever. She couldn't tell an M-60 from a 10-22 so when a new long gun shows up in a corner somewhere she doesn't pay any attention at all.She assumes I have moved something around or forgot to put it away. One of my most basic instincts though, is to keep the boxes for the guns I buy and that is my down fall. I was always taught by those older and wiser firearms aficionados that keeping a gun's box will add to it's value if you need to sell or trade it down the road. That is the problem, because while it seems"she who must be obeyed" can't count guns in the corner, she can count gun boxes.
I guess it's time to break old habits and burn those boxes. :shock:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Re: on buying new guns...

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I always destroy boxes. A new box is a bit incriminating.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Put them in the attic.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There are places my wife won't go, the boxes will go there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Keep an empty, old, tattered, but well-padded gun case in your vehicle.

Then when you buy that custom Weatherby, slip it into that case before coming into the house.

Be sure and drop it a couple times or sort of scuff it around like it's just the old beater 'truck gun' you've had for years.

Just don't take it out of the case until she's asleep.

Of course, you could just do what we do at our house; whatever I spend on toys, she gets to spend on toys. It works out ok that way without having to go to the trouble of being sneaky. Besides, wives need to know what's there for the potential and unfortunate purpose of 'estate' planning. (Maybe if they know how much you buy, you'll get there too early, though... :? ).
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

Lamp for the living room.

Run an electrical cord down the barrel and out the action.
Attach plug.
Put a purple velvet lamp shade, with green and red ball attached, on the muzzle end.
Bring the lamp into the house and loudly announce "I got a new lamp for the living room"
You will be told. "Get that hideous thing out of my sight!!!

HOME FREE!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Hey Tom - good to see your post. That sage advice comes from personal experience, does it? :lol: How are things down the River Valley way?
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I always keep the box.
ED
Yer never too old
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

come on guys.....stand up to her.....
Go look in her closet!......:lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You have my condolences. Unfortunately, I have no direct access to my own money (our money as she would correct me) and my wife tracks me on those facilities that I have available to use. She usually knows the same day or the next day at the latest when I've bought something outside of the ordinary. On the upside, I don't have to worry about the bills as she handles all of that. But apparently, Direct Deposit is the downfall of man.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

RIHMFIRE wrote:come on guys.....stand up to her.....
No way, I don't think my heart could stand the shock of seeing just how many pairs of shoes, purses, dresses, etc. are in there. And, you will never get back more than she paid for them if she were to sell them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Tom Richardson
Shootist

Post by Tom Richardson »

GoatGuy, You ask "How are things down the River Valley way?"

Was hot and dry.
Now it is hot and wet.

Come on down.
Senior Levergunner

Re: on buying old guns...

Post by 2571 »

I was serioiusly into M1 Garands. Thought wife couldn't tell one from another and therfore couldn't tell when another one entered my inventory. Wrong! Wife was writing down serial numbers.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

firefuzz wrote:Put them in the attic.

Rob
yep, plenty of places to hide a few boxes there
----- Doug
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I keep all boxes and I really don't care what my other half thinks about the guns I buy. The house, her and my two children are well taken care of and how I spend my free money is my business.

Hey! Life is too short to have someone else run your happiness or to direct their misguided thoughts on his character. What I don't understand is that when a man does everything right for his family, why should he worry about what other people, (especially his wife) say to him on what he buys for his own pleasure.

She never complained a few years back when I sold a German G-41 for 4 and a half g's that I paid $500 for. I slipped her 5 c-notes :wink:

I call it "being your own man" and if she divorces you for it, well, your better off---then you can have ALL of the money for your pleasures :D -----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Streetstar wrote:

Rob
yep, plenty of places to hide a few boxes there

No No No NO!

It adds to the fire load! :shock:

Build a new shop (it needs to be twice as big as you ever dreamed it should be)
Fill loft of shop with gun boxes.
Build another shop.
Repeat.

I think my friend's wife noticed he had too many guns when he started taking his lunch to work (I'm not talking about me, I don't own any guns[in case the gubment is watching this forum and taking names])
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:
I call it "being your own man" and if she divorces you for it, well, your better off---then you can have ALL of the money for your pleasures :D -----------------Sixgun
Now, I've never been divorced, but even I know better than that!

Women control the world because they have half the money and all of the (censored)
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That is why they go to the storage unit.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have not bought a NEW gun in years. I have "picked up" deals on used ones that I couldn't pass up, and when asked, would answer "got it cheap".

Now I do notice a GUN BOX right on my desk that SWMBO left lying about when we went to the woods range to TRY OUT her new pistol yesterday, and upon returning, of course I was the one who got to clean it before putting it in the safe. (BP gun, gotta clean em, such a pity). Might be I gotta school the ole gal not to leave GUN BOXES lying around, so folks don't think we're too affluent, able to buy new guns......
Certified gun nut
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Well, I guess that goes both ways because my wife could lay six new pairs of shoes around the house and all I'd do is ask her to please put them away. If I come in and see six shoe boxes sitting in the den my heart skips beats. :lol:

Boxes are dastardly! :)

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Hobie wrote:There are places my wife won't go, the boxes will go there.
In my case, the kitchen would be a safe place.

Seriously, all blokes need a seperate account for discretionary purchases.

Cheers Mark
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

Sixgun wrote:I keep all boxes and I really don't care what my other half thinks about the guns I buy. The house, her and my two children are well taken care of and how I spend my free money is my business.

Hey! Life is too short to have someone else run your happiness or to direct their misguided thoughts on his character. What I don't understand is that when a man does everything right for his family, why should he worry about what other people, (especially his wife) say to him on what he buys for his own pleasure.

She never complained a few years back when I sold a German G-41 for 4 and a half g's that I paid $500 for. I slipped her 5 c-notes :wink:

HEAR,HEAR,I COMPLETELY AGREE,WHERE DID ALL THIS SENSITIVE NEWAGE GUYS COME FROM? :lol:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Hobie wrote:There are places my wife won't go, the boxes will go there.
Bingo! I always keep the box too. They are currently collecting dust in the floor joists in the basement (the joists for the first floor). Before this house they roomed in the attic.

I'm at a point where I inform the CFO of about 1 out of 20. Keeps the arguments down to a minimum. I think she suspects, and doesn't argue for the same reason. It is my one "vice", and compared to others, nothing she can actually complain about.

Of course, it costs me a bunch of jewelry over the years... :wink:
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

She has her mad money, and I have mine. As long as all bills are paid ,there's food on the table, and $$ going into the savings , there are NO issues . I never ask her, she never asks me ...life is good ! Like she has said so many times : At least your not sittin' in a " gin mill " or runnin' around on me ! That's ditto for me .......Did I mention , Life is good , Haaaaa ! :D
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

RIHMFIRE wrote:come on guys.....stand up to her.....
RIHMFIRE,

That would violate the contract I have with my wife. I don't look in her closet and she doesn't look in my gun safe :D . It seems to work for both of us.

What is hard to hide from her are the UPS deliveries from Midway, Natchez Shooters Supply, Wideners.......etc. That usually gets a "comment" from her.
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Rob
Those boxes are valuable, and they should be kept clean. Save them. Then, go hide in the attic.