OT - North Carolina

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

OT - North Carolina

Post by bsaride »

Well, my daughter is smarter than I, she wants to move out of SoCal
and possibly head to North Carolina!

She offered to take her ole man with her too!

So what can y'all tell me about North Carolina?

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT - North Carolina

Post by Martini450 »

Great barbecue, and the Outer Banks are great. Oh, and did I mention, great barbecue?
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

Its north of South Carolina. :lol:
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Mmmm, barbeque north of South Carolina, sounds good so far.

What's the hunting and fresh water fishing like?

Oh, might need a job too.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Combat Diver
Levergunner

Post by Combat Diver »

Good climate, shall issued CCW state, some NFA toys allowed, just about every county has game lands to hunt on. Good fishing for cats and bass. I'm on the coast just above SC when I'm home which also has a black bear season (more bears on the coast then the in mountains). BBQ not bad but I'm a Texan!

CD
De Oppresso Liber
Iraq 91,03,04,05,06,08, 09, 15 & 16
Afghanistan 09,10, 11 & 14
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Moutains are absolutely incredible. Chiggers, do you know what chiggers are? If not, find out and be prepared to unpleasantly surprised. Hotter than he..., uh, very HOT in the summer inland. The deserts of SoCal are nice and dry, this is a WET heat that I don't like but it is what it is. Mild winters. The coast is not striking like the California coast, but the water is nice and warm unlike California - very pleasant. Great fishing both inland and off the coast. Incredible history - absolutely incredible for a buff. Southern hospitality and civility is great, southern legacy sometimes not (VERY different than California, you'll quickly figure out if you like the culture or not). Lots of great hunting and off roading. Gun friendly culture.

Drive in any direction for pretty much as long or short as you want and there's a never ending list of places to see and things to do. That's probably what I miss about N.C. more than anything.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not far from the wonderful Commonwealth of Virginia! Home to Tycer and Yance (and others on the forum).

While there are aspects to southern culture some might not like, most everything is pretty good. You don't HAVE to eat okra. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I lived in Charlotte for about 10 years then moved 5 miles south into South Carolina. Still essentially in a suburb of Charlotte, but my kids are in an infinitely better school system (the main driver to move), and we have lower property taxes, lower sales taxes, and lower state income taxes. NC has the highest of all three of these in the southeast outside of Atlanta metro. The cities are worse (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham) for higher taxes, but compared to southern California, they will seem like nothing no matter where you land in NC or SC. The weather does get awfully hot and humid during the summer, but not too cold in the winter - again, depending on where you live (the Blue Ridge mountain can get a bit tippy!).

Very gun-friendly in both states, especially SC. If I could live anywhere here, I would probably pick Charleston (SC), or up in the mountains. You're never more than 1/2 a day's drive from the coast or mountains, and tons of historically-significant locations.

Make the move! :D
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Yance and I are in the Asheville area on the West end of the state in the mountains. No chiggers in the mountains. Asheville is a tourist destination year round, the third week in October is usually peak Leaf Season and very pretty. The economy is service and govt. and medical with not much mfg. Cost of living is out of proportion to jobs as this is a big retirement area and NC taxes are pretty high. Awesome topography and weather. Varied types of people, Mountainfolk and Rednecks to Tree Huggers and a fairly large LGBT community and they all seem to coexist OK. I've lived in eleven states and this is where I plan to end my days.

East of here is the Piedmont region and they have chiggers. Hot, humid and good hunting and fishing. Lots of industry, medical research in an area of about 1M people in the Raleigh/Durham/Greensboro area.

East of there is the Coastal region and they have sand fleas, perfect for catching Sheepshead fish, YUM! About the third week in October the fish start passing South in migration and you'll wear your arms out hauling Spots and Drum and Blues out of the Surf and onto the piers. Big fun for us when we head to Topsail Island. Don't know much about economy or demographics.

If I can be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

No hunting on Sundays though.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Avon Skin So Soft is pretty good goo against chiggers. Some reliable friends use Dr. Bronner's Pepperment soap, too.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

LGBT? Never heard of that one before.

My wife and I were thinking of heading up that way a few years back because she doesn't care for Florida. Not enough mountains here for her since she's from WV.

While we were looking around up there an acquaintance told us that if you die in NC it's because you planned poorly. They were saying that state death taxes are a bear, or at least they were at that time.

Personally I'm more likely to move to TN as there is no state income tax.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

All of the above statements being true.The best thing is IT AIN'T KALIFORNIA and that oughta be enough reason to move without further consideration.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Floridians move there to retire!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

LGBT.

I knew I'd throw y'all with that. Let's just say Asheville city proper 'aint really that far from San Francisco.

You'll have to Wikipedia it as I 'aint comfortable spellin it out here. :shock: :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I learnt that "You'uns 'aint from around here." is similar to "I hate you, go away.", and that a Yankee is someone who is visiting from North of the Mason/Dixon line, a Dam Yankee is one that moved here and a Halfback is a Yankee that moved to Florida and only made it halfway back.
Kind regards,
Tycer
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was stationed there in the early/mid-60's - It'll be the best move you ever made, especially from PRC. :mrgreen:

I liked the Western area / Smokies the best, but YMMV - if you ldon't mind dealing with the occassional hurricane, the coast can be good, too.