Need your ideas: Rifle sale for another's benefit.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Need your ideas: Rifle sale for another's benefit.

Post by LeverBar »

Once upon a time, I purchased a '94 Winchester rifle through a GunBroker auction. The rifle was not as described--nowhere near what I was expecting, the seller was a dishonorable person, and GB folks didn't come through as I had expected. So I did not live happily ever after. (But I did learn a few things from my blunder.)

I expected to give the rifle to a person who would appreciate it as it is, but now, I may have found another way to clean the stink off this rifle. I'm thinking of selling the rifle and giving the money to another Levergunner to help with his son's college expenses. He isn't aware of my intentions, but I figure if a bank check were to appear in the mail, that might be acceptable. This Levergunner is much like many of you--A good soul, generous with his time, giving assistance to others while expecting no payment in return.

Your ideas on how to sell this rifle would be appreciated. I could offer it here on this site, but I'm hesitant: the rifle is not in that good of shape. Home-made, welded on upper tang, corrosion on outer barrel, sanded wood. The barrel would be a .30WCF on a .32WS receiver. The inner workings seem to be in great condition.

I could list it on GunBroker with photos and a detailed description of its condition.

Maybe this way, the bad Karma would leave that rifle, and we could get closer to that fairy tale ending.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I think a somewhat distance, almost anonymous transaction on Gunbroker or a like venue would result in potential buyers steering clear of the gun or holding you out as less than scrupulous in spite of an honest description. I think you are better off here in a niche group that respects you and your candid description of the gun. Someone here can probably make use of the gun with a little TLC. Otherwise, I would take it to a gunshop or show and turn it over to a dealer for whatever you can get. Send the gun somewhere else and seperate yourself from it. Take the money and do whatever you wish, especially if it means helping someone else.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

LeverBar,

Post an add in our classifieds with your price and give the members a chance at it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

LeverBar: I recall your post about buying this 94 and the bad taste it left. Your attempt to turn this situation around speaks loudly as to the high quality of your character. I like your style.
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

I am with J.Miller on this one.I do think that your good will(karma) goes a long way to "take the taint" off Doug
a armed man is his own master
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

octagon wrote:LeverBar: I recall your post about buying this 94 and the bad taste it left. Your attempt to turn this situation around speaks loudly as to the high quality of your character. I like your style.
+1
I'd buy you the beverage of your choice at my campfire any time.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I'll pitch in $10 for the college education. Maybe throw my name in a hat.......I could play with a gun like that.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

how much are you looking for? i remember the original thread and i am proud that you have found a way to settle this honorably. how much did you invest in the rifle?

i may be interested in purchasing it. i am looking for a shooter so it doesn't have to be nice.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Stick it in the classifieds here for a while. You've nothing to loose.
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

I'll throw in my two cents. I agree with the others. Post it here for sale. We're suckers for a good cause :) And, a fellow can never have too many Winchesters.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Post it here, warts-and-all description with an explanation of why you're selling it. It'll move.

I'd be reluctant to take it to GB, on account of a potential buyer's expectations may not be in line with you full disclosure description. Then there's more "taint" to the rifle and your rep. No good deed goes unpunished, remember.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Can you do a raffle, I would also by a chance.
Ricky

DWWC
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

RKrodle wrote:Can you do a raffle, I would also by a chance.
I believe that a raffle would be against one or more laws, it seems this has been gone over in the past. It's a great idea, but won't work in our context. :( More's the pity...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

I was reluctant to list it for sale on this site. It is a sub-par rifle in appearance. But with your urgings, if people know what they are getting and don't need a beautiful piece, then that might be the best way to go.--I just wouldn't want to impose on you members' good will.

One method might be to list it on GunBroker and inform members through a post here on the forum. Would that be against forum etiquette?

I'll let the suggestions stew a while, clean the rifle, and wait for more comments/ideas.

Thank you fellows for your compliments. I take them to heart.
Campfire, drinks? You wouldn't happen to have an icy rootbeer in that cooler, would you?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

octagon wrote:LeverBar: I recall your post about buying this 94 and the bad taste it left. Your attempt to turn this situation around speaks loudly as to the high quality of your character. I like your style.
+1
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

LeverBar wrote: One method might be to list it on GunBroker and inform members through a post here on the forum. Would that be against forum etiquette?

I'll let the suggestions stew a while, clean the rifle, and wait for more comments/ideas.
I think that's a good way to go. Work on your description, emphasize the problems and let the folks here know what's going on. I'd say that, knowing what it's for, this would be something to list in the "General Discussion" area and not on the "Classifieds" - kind of like the Sword Fund, etc...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I had to sell my last levergun, a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt to pay some medical bills. Would jump at the chance to buy an inexpensive lever. Put it in the classsified!!! Thanks, Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i hate to sound like a resounding drum, but how much? inquiring minds and nosy people want to know :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Either here or on Gunbroker, I think a good thing. Photos and description as "fixer-uppper" along with full disclosure would alleviate the issue of its condition, although would lessen its potential for sale... although...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tumbleweeds
Levergunner 1.0

Sounds like a great base gun for a 7-30 to me, except you

Post by Tumbleweeds »

already have a customer for a shooter.
OK, OK, I made the jump.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

The plan has a new problem.

Please see the post: viewtopic.php?t=3068&start=0&postdays=0 ... highlight=