OT - Feds Prosecuting Kansas Guide Outfit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Feds Prosecuting Kansas Guide Outfit

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Thought this was an interesting read ...

Feds Target 60 Hunters in Kansas.

My bad. Link fixed.
Last edited by Rimfire McNutjob on Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Feds Prosecuting Kansas Guide Outfit

Post by TedH »

Your link goes to a Gunbroker auction.
NRA Life Member
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Here's a Link..!

What in the world is going on up in Kansas....?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I don't condone poaching but why are the feds investigating and not Kansas? It seems they should be prosecuting terrorists or something. :roll:
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

The Feds are involved, according to the article, because of alleged interstate transport of poached deer. The Feds have a statute concerning lying to federal agents to assist them that is not usually available to states. So, most likely they'll get a few caught in some lies, plea bargain, and get stronger testimony against the main violators, who ever that happens to be.

rimrock
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm certainly not for unethical or unsafe hunting, but somehow I'm skeptical that our nation's founders stayed awake nights worrying that the Constitution wouldn't cover things like deer poaching, pasteurizing milk, and what font size and color of ink are 'acceptable' to have on an advertisement a drug rep hands a doctor.

Do you think our nation will ever truly be free again...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

they deserved it i have known them all my life and delt with them as a law enforcement officer her at home they live about 5 miles from me and i hope they put them under the jail.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

That first lawyer that was quoted sounds like a real pinhead. He must have come very cheap. Kevin
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

willygene wrote:they deserved it i have known them all my life and delt with them as a law enforcement officer her at home they live about 5 miles from me and i hope they put them under the jail.
I dont doubt this at all ---- i have met "hunting guides" like this before. They make the other 90% who do an ethical, humane job look bad
----- Doug
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It irks me to no end, that people participating in some illegal activities are constantly referred to as "hunters" and/or "guides" - which IMHO unfairly dis' every ethical guide/hunter extant.

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I was concerned because the title insinuated that the Feds are pursuing the hunters as well as the guides. I guess it depends on the offense as to whether the hunter should have known that it was against the law in that particular state to take some particular action. I know, a hunter is supposed to know all of the laws in the state in which he intends to hunt. But I would bet that a lot of hunters rely on the advise of the guides in this regard.

I reminds me to recent Teg Nuggent flap.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Poachers are often known but manage to avoid prosecution or conviction due to a lot of different little things. Some families have been doing it for generations. These same families have now expanded to distributing meth and some other things... Reading this, I'm thinking these POACHERS deserve what little they'll get.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not a bunch of people who deserve any quarter. Do Libertarians really support No Game Laws as a freedom to be touted?? You're not making a very good case for converting Republicians, Dude :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Blaine,

I think we're in agreement that they need to have the book thrown at them. Unfortunately, IME, poachers don't get squat compared to all the problems they cause. It doesn't matter, give 'em all you can whenever you can.

PS - taking their trucks and guns doesn't do diddly, they just get more, legally or not.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
choctaw
Levergunner

Post by choctaw »

It irks me to no end, that people participating in some illegal activities are constantly referred to as "hunters" and/or "guides" - which IMHO unfairly dis' every ethical guide/hunter extant.
My thoughts exactly. Criminals would have sufficed nicely.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yep. I don't think you'd find any 'sympathizers' here, other than the comment above that some of the 'hunters' (vs. 'guides') may have indeed been told that they were not violating the law, when in fact they were.

My only issue with it is just the concept that everything these days has become a 'federal' issue, and although the offense may be a crime, and offenders may need appropriate punishment, if it isn't necessary to be a federal issue, I think it should be left to the states, and if the state needn't do it, leave it to the county, and if the county needn't be involved, leave it to the family. We've seen numerous examples of how turning that upside down hasn't been a good thing...

I think the state police, state game wardens, state courts, state prisons, and so on are more than capable of dealing with issues like this. If not, some changes need to be made in the state!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Too bad we can't use SSS for poachers. Actually, I would put them out in the sun staked out over an ant hill if I got to impose punishment upon a finding of guilty, then leave 'em for the buzzards.

rimrock
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Don't be messin' around with the game warden!
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry