What makes LEVERgunners 'different' ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

What makes LEVERgunners 'different' ?

Post by AJMD429 »

Reading Hobie's "Other Forums" post, and others, over the past couple years, I've come to the conclusion that yes, "Levergunscommunity.com" is different, and better, than many other 'gun' forums, at least in terms of civility, format, widespread knowledge shared with humility and humor, and just more 'easy going' than many other forums.

If I have an "AR-15" question, I'll post it here, (duly marked "OT" of course :roll: ), rather than on an "AR" forum, because not only will I likely get an answer-without-a-lecture, but I think many times I'll get a more ACCURATE answer, or at least a more practical one.

This could be just happenstance, or a Divine Plan of some sort, but I wonder if it has something to do with the NATURE of "leverguns" themselves, as reflected by those who enjoy them.

I think perhaps "we" tend to be more interested in PRACTICAL firearms issues, because leverguns are not "extreme" anything unless it is "extreme practical"; bolt-guns are more accurate, and more powerful, semiautos have more firepower, and so on.

Also, "we" tend to be more interested in U.S. History, as these guns happened to be developed by Americans, during pivotal years in this nation.

We have a wide variety of jobs, family situations, and educations, but many of "us" live in rural areas, and most of us would probably do so if we were able, so we tend to be a bunch of self-sufficient types, who are likely to find a weekend tinkering with an old engine or fishing reel, or making a forge, or outdoor pizza-oven, or digging a pond, or having livestock, far more enjoyable than a trip to the Chicago discount malls, or to Disneyland.

Many of these things converge to make "us" perhaps more easy-going, less likely to judge others unfairly, and more likely to take our OTHER hobbies and interests to a level of competence that makes us able to share that knowledge, yet do so with polite humility, vs. the something-to-prove style so often seen elsewhere.

Our leaders/moderators here seem to be very patient individuals who quietly LIVE their faith, vs. some elsewhere who have a more 'exhibitionist' style of expressing their faith. The result is that you really have to TRY to get kicked off this forum, and that tolerance-by-example keeps the tone civil here for the most part.

I'm not trying to 'brag' on our site or on us as individuals, but just really interested in the 'cultural' and intellectual phenomena which contribute to the 'ambiance' of this forum vs. others.

I know there are lots of good 'wise-guy' quips we can come up with for why Leverguns is such a friendly place, but has anyone else thought SERIOUSLY about just WHY the forum is like this? Any other ideas? It fascinates me...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Re: What makes LEVERgunners 'different' ?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

"What makes LEVERgunners 'different'?"

A touch of insanity? :wink:

No - wait, I know. A common love of slippers!!! :lol:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I think those that like and collect leverguns respect history and are old school types. There is so much that goes along with leverguns that also carries a lot of history. You can never know all there is to know about leverguns so you must have humility. You put all that together and you have a person that treats people like he likes to be treated and that makes for a great forum. That's my two cents. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The majority of us are, but short term caretakers of history.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A community here that have known each other over a few years and have a common set of values and standards.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've often wondered that myself. I've tried other forums over the years, but this is the only one I like to call home. Most of the regular members here seem more like a good neighbor, than a screen name in cyberspace. I think you all are more down to earth type folks than most people I've actually met. It's the nature of the person that draws them to a love of leverguns. Kind of old fasioned, basic, and reliable.

That, and the slippers thing. :D
NRA Life Member
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I think that, by in large, we on this forum are respectful of the CONCEPT of firearms regardless of era/mechanical operation (lever vs tacticool) and are likewise (mostly) respectful of variances in belief as well.

Maybe it's because (I believe) we are a statistically older/more mature bunch than elsewhere and are therefore more willing to use logic more often than government/media/provacateur manipulated emotion... or so I hope anyway... ;)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Terry Murbach and his infernal CAPS key!!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

COSteve wrote:Terry Murbach and his infernal CAPS key!!!
Heck, Terry is more of a Geek than the rest of us... he uses Voice Recognition Software to do his keyboarding.... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

At the risk of being banned from the forum let me come right out in the open and say

"I DO NOT LIKE SLIPPERS"

Now - that feels better.

One comment on the effect lever guns has on people. Last week I met a foreman on a construction site. One of his boys who I knew had told him I shoot a 7mm-08. This guy shoots a 7mm rem Mag, so he gets introduced to me and starts right out bagging the 7mm-08 as being a puny round when compared to the 7mm Rem etc, etc. He is paying out on me for being afraid to shoot a powerful rifle and I meekly chimed in and said that I do enjoy shooting my 444 and 45-70 and was sure the 7mm Rem would not be much more difficult for me to handle.

FINALLY I GET TO MY POINT!!!

The guy changes like that. Now he tells me he has a 30-30 and loves it but cannot get comfortible with the original sights, could I reccomend what he could put on it? Now I have to ring him before I go back to his job site so he can bring his 30-30 and I can bring one of my levers with a receiver sight on it and we can have a little show and tell.

Honestly gentlemen, if we could get everyone in the world to own a lever gun peace would reign, because the guns themselves impart a feeling of comradeship that effects all that own them.

Sorry about the font shouting.

Pop.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Definitely the slippers thing. :lol:
And could it also be attributed to the couple of hot ladies that pop in now and then.
(though not often enough and could use more of them in my opinion) :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I joined Leverguns.Com just because I wanted to learn about lever action rifles from people who know lever action rifles.
However I have learnt far far more from this forum, from slippers to politics and everything in between.
We share each others sadness and happiness, we take knowledge and if we have any ourselves we freely give it. We may sometimes be green with envy and even angry by what we read here but it's not long before an OT humor post gets us laughing again.
I can't think of any other group of guys and gals I'd rather sit round the campfire with. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I was about to write what rangerider7 did.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

For the most part I believe we have had our 600whizbangsupermagnumdeerassassins, and our tacticool rifles and killed lots of stuff ect,ect,ect, and are for the most part trying to remember a simpler, less complicated time. I want to hunt, you know stalking, walking,thinking about my Dad, grandfather, even times with my GGF, not killing from 1000 yards away. My family doesn't need the meat to survive, but it is nice to have gotten it myself. I think I am at a time in my life where I don't have anything to prove to anybody, and if you want to knock your hat off and loosen your teeth with every shot so you can have the latest and greatest direct from the pages of Guns and ammo, I will clap you on the back and be glad your happy, all the while knowing I could pick one of the old girls from the safe and make that deer just as dead with a chunk of old roof flashing and some wheel weights.
What makes this site the best ONE WORD: ATTITUDE. and thank you all for letting me be a part of it. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Amen to all said. For many of us, there was someone in our Levergunnin/Single Action/Double Barreled past who took time with us as kids, and who instilled in us a love for those old time likes, beliefs and values. Shooting these irons is often a link to the people we hold very dear....it's continuing on with their memory and the enjoyment we had with them, and passing it down to the next generation. I think most of us are a bunch of romantic fools, and I mean that in a good way.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Read the post about Dave's dog dying and the responses,and you don't have to think real hard about why this is the place it is. Do you think on Evilblackriflesrule.com(fictional I hope) they would claim to actually care about somebody's dog, where as here I know it is a genuine sadnees from the others because we have all been there. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I landed here in a round-about way. I had but one centerfire sporting rifle that I used professionally and personally (recreationally) for over 25 years. Never visited a gun site because I didn't need information and avoided influence. When we started really concentrating on bear hunts about 7 years ago I had some issues stopping bears with my rifle. There was no problem killing them - but this was not in a hunting situation but as the outfitter fixing a problem the client created - the wounded bear. A simple solution would have been to go to my double rifle that I used in Africa and on bovine in the US when guiding. However, I always took an interest in leverguns and the 45-70. I researched the topic extensively and found the best balanced and straight-forward information here on the forum and in the articles on Leverguns.com. After purchasing an 1886 I introduced myself and explained what I wanted to do. The feedback was or seemed genuine whether it was positive or negative. The combo worked and I began to report my uses. I also set a goal to shoot the next 100 animals with that 1886 and I continued to report the successes and failures too. Let me back up a bit. As an outfitter I have always catered to levergunners, handgunners and muzzleloader enthusiasts. This is because I personally appreciate the hunt more than the killing and I appreciate and respect the effort made more than the precise long range shot. My clients know I will let them do it their way and be right along side them with as much enthusiasm. My style of hunting complimented the open sight, short range, traditionalist needs of levergunners, among others. When I advertised some hunts here on the forum many clients came forward, some active posters I knew by name and others that lurk in the "read only" mode that I didn't know were members. I found that the caliber of client was very high among forum members. I have never had a totally sour personality, never a whiner, never an unsafe person, never a totally negative experience. There have been different levels of satisfaction among clients form the forum but none have vowed never to come again because we didn't do something they wanted/needed/expected. It has been a blessing to get two best friends out of the deal, RKrodle and CRS. There are many more of you I consider personal friends. There is an underlying commonality that sometimes crosses boundaries. Some appreciate the magic of the shotgun as much as I do, some have similar occupations and experiences that create a bond, and others are just interesting people in their own way. So, I kind of set up shop here for personal and business communications. I prefer to hunt with people from the forum because I have come to expect a quality client and therefore I offer deals, discounts and group hunts here that I do not advertise or offer elsewhere. From a personal perspective, I am confident of fair deals when making purchases off the classified and I offer fair deals when selling and item. I get good information to personal questions and I make it a point to answer honestly and objectively instead of with bias. The comfort level is what keeps me here.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I think the difference here is maturity. I've not seen any snappy smart aleck, childish answers to questions on Leverguns.com, and there seems to be an underlying sense of honor. The experience of the members here with all aspects of firearms is probably measured in the thousands of years...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

I purchased my first levergun in 1978. A Marlin 1895 45-70. At that time I was living at the foothills of the Arkansas Ozark Mountains, a stone's throw from the Ozark National Forest. The friends I made there were dedicated hunters and they welcomed me into their "clan". When I purchased that Marlin I received a few kidding comments, but packed it around those woods as it seemed very appropriate for the game and terrain. Several years later I relocated to a community in the Sacremento Mountains of New Mexico. After one or two hunts with new friends there, I found myself acquiring a few magnums of the Weatherby and Remington persuasion. Wow, what a short love affair. Oh, I collected several of the available species of game while living there, but with the exception of a couple of Auodad could have taken the rest with that Marlin. That includes my three antelope, one brute of which I have as a mount hanging on my wall.

After retiring and returning to Arkansas to the area where I now live, I remade the acquaintance of one of this site's most notorious lurkers and an inducted Shootist. He's the one that guided me to this site several years ago, before the big switch this the current format. Don't know if I've ever thanked him, but if not, hope he's checking this thread out as he will know of whom I'm writing. This bunch of Levergunners, with very, very few exceptions, never cause my blood pressure to rise, get my goat (no pun intended) or make me want me to enter into any disagreement or choose sides in an argument. Great bunch of folks, full of knowledge, wisdom, spiritual strength and humor. I've signed onto other forums, but rarely do I ever go there after a few times spent reading some of the acrimonious bluster and filthy responses posted and replied to by other members. Life's too short to deal with that stuff.

Thanks to all of you folks who inspire me, make me laugh, shame me with my lack of spiritual openness, inform me, confirm many longheld opinions, and generally welcome me every time I log on (rarely a day goes by without it). I'm one of the few here who has such a low post count, but I generally withhold posts and replys unless I believe I can add something to the discussion. And as an aside, I have added to my levergun inventory :wink: over the last decade or so. Additionally, I have taken with a couple of my leverguns the only two deer I bagged since relocating back to the region. One with my old 45-70 and the other, last year, with my 1955 Model 94 .32 WS. A single shot each. Pretty economical game collectors, these leverguns. Thanks again to all and God Bless!
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I think most Levergunners are Kids at Heart. A really great Group of People.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe, I always enjoy reading your point of view. "The feedback was or seemed genuine whether it was positive or negative." And some of the stuff "I found that the caliber of client was very high among forum members. I have never had a totally sour personality" just hits the funny bone while you are being perfectly serious just in the way you phrase it. I hope you continue to get a lot of business here and I know you will. EVERYONE who has reported back here seems to have had a great and special time.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now - I like the pictures of the pretty girls. :D

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Its been a while now since I was welcomed to the fire. It has been warm and friendly for the most part. Friends are found as I sit, mesmerized by the fire's glow, and look around the circle. I see gun writers, cowboys, truckers, and LEO's, educators and doctors, lawyers, railroaders, fork lift drivers, salesman, chiropractors, farmers, engineers, military, pilots, construction workers, game keepers and retired folk. Hundreds of other jobs could be counted. Each person has a story that we have heard. Each has a struggle, a wish, a desire, a memory, a fondness, strengths and weaknesses. Each around the fire have opened up to a community of like minded people, a tribe if you will. A common vision of what the world once was, what potential lies in each, the value of other opinions, a desire to learn, a code to follow, core values lived out in daily lives. We sit sometimes on opposite of political idealogy yet discussions are civil, our thoughts are heard and understood. We are fathers, sons, brothers, (and some are daughters, wives and mothers), we vary in religion, color of skin, age, country, experiences, likes and dislikes. We are cross-cultural yet we share the same camp fire. We laugh and joke, we cry and pray. We drive hours to meet each other for dinner, or drive days to hunt with one another. We share a day or two at the range, a meal, our last dollar. We encourage and empower. We uplift and support.

What makes levergunners different? we are family.

Blessings to all my extended family, may the God of provision fill your life with every bessing.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Booger Bill wrote:I was about to write what rangerider7 did.
I was about to write what Booger Bill did...

:lol:
TedH wrote:It's the nature of the person that draws them to a love of leverguns. Kind of old fashioned, basic, and reliable.
I'm getting more and more old-fashioned every year... :oops: 8)
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

This:
rangerider7 wrote:I think those that like and collect leverguns respect history and are old school types. There is so much that goes along with leverguns that also carries a lot of history.
And this:
Old Ironsights wrote:I think that, by in large, we on this forum are respectful of the CONCEPT of firearms regardless of era/mechanical operation (lever vs tacticool) and are likewise (mostly) respectful of variances in belief as well.
And this:
86er wrote:The feedback was or seemed genuine whether it was positive or negative.
I think the respect and genuiness of the members here is the major difference and what makes this place great. It makes no difference the topic; guns or cars or whatever, a prayer request or a beloved pet that's died, the responses are heartfelt and genuine.

There's not a man or woman on this forum that I wouldn't enjoy meeting and share a cup of coffee around the camp fire with. Can't say that about any of the others I occasionally visit.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

It's just fine to ride back into this camp & it's like I never left. Even through hard times like these when G-D takes me out to do some work or another. I ride back in and am right at home. Shared values, faith & a love of all that is being a true american...faithful to the family.

Coffee's hot, the fire's going, Pards to ride the river with...a sense of being home. Leverguns...sixguns...good horses...good fishing...just being out in G-D's creation.

It don't get no better than this...all because of Paco. Thanks Pard!

Oh...I almost forgot...one real good dog.

LB
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win38-55 »

People that shoot lever's are different breed of gun owner. I have all different types
of firearms everything from pumps to semi to bolt you name it I got it.
My very favorite of them all are my lever's always have been, always will.
Besides that chicks think they are cool. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I can't add much that ain't been said, and I probably wouldn't say it as good anyway. But let me try. We're an older mature crowd. I say that with pride. We love our country and our history. We're old enough to have seen tough times and the simpler times, but we all probably do enjoy an air conditioner on a hot humid night. For the best description about the love of these old and outdated style of rifles, just look up John Taffin's article entitled' Life's Too Short To Spend With An Ugly Gun.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

AJMD429 wrote:
Booger Bill wrote:I was about to write what rangerider7 did.
I was about to write what Booger Bill did...
and i was about to write what ajmd429 did. :wink:

[dang, late again.]
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

"Life's too short to spend with an ugly gun" You got that right.

This is my favorite website, of course leverguns are my favorite also, but one thing I believe counts for the most is that the people here in general hold themselves to a higher standard, and treat others with the same respect that would be given if talking to someone in person.

As a group on here, we are respectful of each other, and demand that others be respectful also. We don't have too many heated arguments, and I think that is a good thing. It's just a different atmosphere, then many other boards have.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

It would appear that I am a young whippersnapper here compared to most of you, but as with old leverguns, that is part of the allure. The vast wealth of knowledge that is within this group gives me great hope that all is not lost with our country.

It also shows me that we need to get back the basics and understand what we believe, why we believe it and where we come from. This group ultimately understands the fundamentals of knowing who you are and what you stand for. It is these two traits that define us LEVERGUNNER's and the common thread that binds us.

I love it here so far. I check this sight several times a day, it is my homepage. I have learned more from this group (real world knowledge) than any other group and though I am new, it still feels like home. You can't buy that...

This is what makes a LEVERGUNNER, in my opinion.
"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I too am younger than most folks here, but I am old school at heart. I think the levergunners' commeraderie is not totally unique, but it is rare. I believe it is the same commeraderie that is shared by my sixgunner brothers. A love of the old style and the old ways. Practical and simple, yet highly effective. These are the traits of the tools we love. I think most of us are not trying to out-do each other, as it is with a lot of the "tactical" shooting crowd. It is a combination of these things that makes this site different and appealing to the folks that frequent here.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I was planning on posting that I was proud to agree completely with all of the points that somebody-who-is-smarter-than-me had posted.

And then I was going to point out two other excellent posts. But in re-reading all of the above, each entry is a gem; I appreciate the points brought out by everybody here, and the thought that is behind each post (including the ones about slippers and girlie photos!). The breadth and depth of the contributions, the overall attitude that infects and affects those who visit here - the breath of fresh air and fun while visiting and learning something new - that's all part of what keeps me coming back.

Thank you, Paco, Hobie, ArmBraCol, other behind the scenes guys, sponsors, and contributing members/posters (by the way, membership is free for those readers tuning in!). And thanks in no small part go to the Great Webmaster Who figures prominently in many threads here. This is indeed a different site.
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

For me it is best said as follows...

"Down home is down home"...

The Leverguns Ranch...

LB
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Sometimes the simplest thing just works. I've never believed one type of action-- bolt, slide, semi, s X s, lever was any more accurate than another. It's the person. Very few EBR owners could make Billy Dixon's shot. True, many levergunners can't either, but levergunners are gonna tinker around and try, at least. Part of the difference of the attitude of this forum relates to a lot of collective experience with shooting irons where people are interested in mastering a skill. Too many younger people need instant gratification and have no patience to master anything.

rimrock
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

"What makes LEVERgunners 'different' ?"

LEVERGUNNERS LOVE TO WEAR "SLIPPERS" 8)
win7094M1
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win7094M1 »

I really can't add a great deal to what has been said already, but this forum is the one I visit the most. There is a very caring atmosphere here that is missing in most other firearms forums,even when discipline is administered by the moderators to participants who cross the line, so to speak. This gathering of kindred souls is very special and makes this forum what it is.
Winchester M94 30-30 (1980)
Winchester M70 Westerner 30-06 (1982)
Winchester M1 Garand (1942)
Too many others to list - hope to add more levers soon.
papasan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papasan »

Well, in my case i joined the forum in June 08. After browsing around and checking it out i made a post. Which was I don`t need a Guide Gun, but i want one. Anyway the responses were
get one, you`ll love it, or the 45/70
is a classic, or you won`t be disapointed,ect ect. And i got one, and everyone was right. I Love It! Plus after i shot it i realized in fact i did need it!

So what makes Lever Gunners different? Just as Rush Limbaugh makes the claim he`s right 99.6 percent of the time, i find that also
applies to the members who post
here. Great knowledge, sound advice,
very helpful, willing to include people they do not know or ever meet
in their prayers! Best Gun/Firearm
site on the internet for sure.

papasan
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I landed here as Game keeper said, to learn about Leverguns after I had owned two of them!

I think that levergunners realise more is not allways better, chasing bigger numbers (read speed/ft/lbs) just ain't needed.

A contact with a heritage, a link to the simpler past,,,,,,

This place especially is of an extra ordinary high standard and as poor the net is for conveying empathy, support and kindness you can not get any better than this forum.

The staff that keep this place running are shining examples to us all.

Thanks for the privledge of visiting here :)

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

So many great posts here it's hard to come up with something to say that hasn't been said far better already, but I'll add something I like about this place:

Have any of you been to, been part of, or witnessed a gun shop that has a cadre of folks who hang out there and that treats the new/uninitiated like dirt? I have and I just don't get it. How the heck are we supposed to draw new blood into the fold and new partners into the fullness of our American experience if we treat them like vermin? I just don't get it!

Well, with the exception of a very few individuals here you just don't see that kind of thing on Leverguns. The crowd here strikes me as very mature but it also strikes me as very kind and welcoming and those two things do not always walk hand in hand. That's sad given what the Good Book teaches but it's part of the human condition nevertheless.

Thanks for the great site to those who run it and thanks for the great atmosphere to those who strive to keep it so.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I think it's because most of us were born 100 or so years too late, while most others in our society were born 20 years too soon.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Different? How?

Oh, yeah, our version of the "Golden Rule" isn't; "... do unto Others before they do unto you." That kinda different. I hafta agree.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Goat »

I do not post here a lot but I read/lurk here everytime I get on the internet. I have found this to be a wonderful place to hang out around the fire. When I do have questions there is always someone with an opinion to share without making me feel dumb about the question. I am likely younger than most and only with reservation would most say that I am mature. I echo the sentiments of those who say we were born too late and would love the simpler time of days gone by. I was once a young man with the idea that faster bullets are always better and bolt actions were the only acceptable guns for those who wanted the best tool available to hunt with. Somehow in the last ten years or so my perspective has changed. I now prefer the levergun to any other action and intend to hunt with them 'til the day I die.
I believe it was well summed up by Rangerider7 early on in this thread when he quoted or at least refered to the golden rule of treating others as you wish to be treated. This entire concept seems to be lost on most of my generation and the ones that follow. My hat is off to those who have created this place and those that continue to maintain the high standard kept arpund here. Thanks to all for allowing me to sit around the fire with you and never having to worry about what my wife or kids may see/read looking over my shoulder. What makes "us" different? others have said it so much better than me ... Keep up the high standard and the good work!
Goat
"To know HIM and make HIM known"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

olyinaz wrote:Have any of you been to, been part of, or witnessed a gun shop that has a cadre of folks who hang out there and that treats the new/uninitiated like dirt? I have and I just don't get it. How the heck are we supposed to draw new blood into the fold and new partners into the fullness of our American experience if we treat them like vermin? I just don't get it!
Just thinking about that the other day. I was in a gun shop and the SALES guy was blow-harding on and on about stuff that just wasn't quite true, trying to talk a guy into buying a particular gun. It wasn't the "treat like dirt" thing you refer to, but it was another kind of not-nice behavior that I see all too often in gun stores. I was SO tempted to interrupt the conversation and 'educate' the would-be consumer about what he REALLY needed to know about the gun(s) he was looking at.
JohndeFresno wrote:Thank you, Paco, Hobie, ArmBraCol, other behind the scenes guys, sponsors, and contributing members/posters (by the way, membership is free for those readers tuning in!). And thanks in no small part go to the Great Webmaster Who figures prominently in many threads here. This is indeed a different site.
+1, +1, +1, +1...!