OT-How far do you have to travel to shoot?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-How far do you have to travel to shoot?

Post by Jason_W »

I was spoiled in Vermont where no matter what town you're in, you're no more than 20 minutes drive from a range. Where my wife and I will be living soon, the closest range is a little more than an hour drive.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-How far do you have to travel to shoot?

Post by jnyork »

At our mountain place, about 50 feet. In town, 3 miles.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Same Here, about 50 ft. Big Oak tree that has to come down anyway. Might as well try to shoot it down. Actually if I went to a range it is about 30 miles. Perry in Bangor ________-----++++++++++=======Ca.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

10 minutes away is the largest, private, shooting facility in the Pac NW. www.tcgc.org
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Indoor range range aprox 30 round trip
Outdoor range just over 90 round trip.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Shooting out to 100 yards, I walk out on to my front porch.

Over 100 yards I have to drive up about 1 mile on a logging road above my place.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

In the front pasture I have range set up out to 200 yards. If I step out front door I can shoot the gong that's at 170 yards from my yard fence.
Ricky

DWWC
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

For distances up to 45 yards, all I have to do is walk 50' from my front door. For 100-yard shooting, it's about a 20-minute drive. If I want a solid bench and target butts out to 300, I need to go an hour.

The first site is, of course, in my yard, and I use that "range" the most. The 300 yard range belongs to a firned, and it is completely private -- the biggest crowd there is me and Jim. The 100 yard range is public and free (national Forest). It's fine during the off-season, but jammed right before deer season.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It took years of setting money aside, driving 20-year-old cars, etc., but now we live where we have a 100 yd outdoor range about 300 yds from our back door. Our family uses it, and I've introduced countless 'newbies' to the world of shooting here, as it is a quiet, non-threatening environment where a newbie can focus on his/her gun and learning, and not worry about what folks next to them are doing with their Semiauto Blast-o-matic, or be distracted by someone 20 feet away with a Loudenboomer Magnum. So, even though it is a 'private' range, it's actually enabled me to introduce more shooters to the hobby than would have happened if I had to arrange to meet them at a public range each time.

In some ways I miss going to public ranges, because gun owners need to 'network' more, not less, (at least the internet has helped there) but so darned may of the gun owners I meet 'out there' get me depressed, because I see how many are totally clueless or apathetic about the political shakedown going on. They spend lots of time and money on their hobby, yet aren't the least bit interested in helping preserve it for their grandkids, much less defending the freedoms they have (saying they don't have the time or money, ironically).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

25 miles for me to the closest 100 yard Land MAnagement range . Takes 45 minutes due to the back roads. -- range is only 100 yards. Pretty peaceful during the week, but on weekends and getting closer to deer season it gets more crowded.

I use my Henry loaded with .22 Shorts to plink around my property -- its 10 acres, but is too close to town and other generic sub-divisions to crank out too many centerfire rounds
----- Doug
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I can shoot in my yard, tho its close for now, about 20 yards. Need to get some dirt moved then I can have 125 yards. I don't shoot too much right here, as there are some neighbors close enough to hear. I can drive about 4 miles and have room to shoot out to 1200-1500 yards or so. There's more room, but that's about as far as I can see hits without a spotting scope. We have a plate at 300 and 600 yards out there.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

25 miles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Formal range, 22 miles. Informal woods range used for load testing, etc, 5 miles. One of the (few) neat things about NYS is we have a LOT of those blue and yellow "state forest preserve" signs. On state land we can shoot, so long as no houses within 500 ft.
Certified gun nut
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Private range: 10 minutes drive with 10 position pistol house, 100yd open plinking range, 8 position 100yd covered range, 10 position 200/300yd covered range, 'running dear' sled, and two shotgun ranges with throwing towers for firearms plus a bow hunting 'range' and walking hunt target course.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

The Wolverton Mt. Gun Club ( I`m Vice Pres.) has 235 members with about 100 active and is 24 mi. away.

Members have a key and can go in and shoot whenever there is no scheduled event going on. 50 ft., 50yd.,150 yd., Trap,
archery ranges. :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

about 5 minutes to the private skeet and trap fields..
and 15 to the public rifle and pistol range
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

About 30min. Would take about 10 if there was a straight-shot road, but there ain't. County roads stop at one set of farms and we have to go around.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

Few, if any, public ranges in the UK. One of my clubs has a range about 25 miles away and another 35 miles. members have keys and can shoot any day of the week.The National Shooting Centre at Bisley is 40 miles away and one can shoot there at up to 1000 yds.many gun clubs have arrangements to shoot long distance rifle on military ranges.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

When we bought this place in 1977 we shot what ever here up to 100 yards. Several years ago the city took in a large area around us, we are still in the country but not aloud to shoot. I do shoot when working up a new load for something light. The nearest Forest Service range is about 60 miles with a 200 yard line. Sometimes we can shoot at a friends house and with friends at church which is 40 miles from home. A raiding party of varmits is a different thing, have to protect my laying hens.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Old Ironsights wrote:About 30min. Would take about 10 if there was a straight-shot road, but there ain't. County roads stop at one set of farms and we have to go around.
Similar situation in coastal Maine. Your destination could be 5 miles away as the crow flies, but all the inlets and peninsulas make it an hour's drive. Not complaining though. Lobster is cheap here, and Mackerel fishing is a blast.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

10 miles away is a Wildlife Managemant Area range. It hasa 100yd+ 200yd rifle, 25 yard pistol, and trap and skeet space. It costs $27 per year. As long as you dont show up at 10 am on a Saturday it is usually not too crowded.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:About 30min. Would take about 10 if there was a straight-shot road, but there ain't. County roads stop at one set of farms and we have to go around.
Wow - must be BIG farms...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

20 mins to indoor range, 40 mins to an outdoor range.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Wow - must be BIG farms...!
It IS Wyoming... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

The members-only shooting club that I belong to is a 32 mile round trip from my residence. It boasts a 550 yard rifle line and a 175 yard pistol/rifle line. You just put out your target and shoot. The only problem is that the rifle line has six concrete benches, the pistol has nine wooden benches. There is also archery, trap, sporting clays, and a 50 yard pistol range as well as a 600 yard range for high power/bench rest matches and black powder cartridge rifle silhouette.

The down side: due to limited seating, it can get crowded, esp. weekends during this time of year when all the hunters start showing up for sighting in. It is funny to watch them try to sight in a heavy magnum rifle that they are afraid of or try to consistently position themselves behind a lead sled.

Being retired, I usually go to the range twice a week, Tuesday through Thursday. I don’t go on Friday or Monday as if someone is going to take off from work to shoot/sight in, it is more likely to be one of those days. Sometimes I go up 3 days a week. I get there at about 7:30 AM to set up. The range opens at 8:00 AM, closes at dusk. Usually done before noon. It is not unusual for me to be the only rifle shooter or maybe have one other shooter on the line. Very enjoyable as I can concentrate on the shooting and not need to be concerned whether another shooter is following the safety procedures.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

About forty feet out mt back door for out to 150 yards
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Heaven was front or back porch...Now it's 20 mins to indoor range ..yuk!, 40 mins to an wonderful mountain outdoor range...$18.00 bucks a day...Pistol & rifle out to a hunnert...No 200 hundred though...All covered shooting stations except the tin can plinking range.. Concrete & cinderblock benches for rifle & 50yd pistol...also bench boards to stand behind too..All are well supervised..Parking is steps away...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I can be at the 100 yard public range in 12 minutes. If I want to shoot farther than that, or be able to set up "other" type targets like phone books for capturing bullets, I drive out to the folks farm, which is an hour from here.
NRA Life Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Zero distance---------------can shoot right out the Anderson crank out windows(its why I choose em :lol: ) or off the deck or the patio! :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

that's the funny thing about my area of Los Angeles, indoor range is 7 miles away, outdoor range is 12. They both take about a half hour to get to.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

too far :( :cry: :x
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

10 feet out the back door on my deck up to 200 yards and 10 minutes to our other place where we can shoot out 1000 yards. no neibors to gripe and fees or waiting just shooting.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

When I lived near Los Angeles, the outdoor range was 1 1/2 hours drive, or more depending on traffic. One reason I fled CA. Now I gotta drive 20 minutes to shoot, mostly 'cause I drive slow...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

As of around 1:00 this afternoon I ‘m about 8 min. away from
another local farm that I have permission to Dove hunt on.
Baby steps, I will work on the other seasons. :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:20 mins to indoor range, 40 mins to an outdoor range.
Mike, I can help you cut that time down to about 15 min. from your house
for .22 rimfire indoor and a 200 yrd. outdoor range. :wink:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

35 mins to indoor 50 yard range.
40 mins to 200 yard outdoor range.
Drove 360 miles to shoot for two days this past weekend :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

20 minutes to one ranch and 2 hrs 45 to the other. We are camping locally at our boat dock in the Delta this weekend. Great company, food, beverages, and lots'a shooting. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Sixteen mile round trip to the range where I belong. 7 or 8 covered benches, target frames at 25, 50, 75, 200 & 300 yds. plus a few metric distances too, 50 & 100 M. Also has a 50 yd pistol range, archery ranges, indoor archery/small bore range and a bit of trap shooting too. Range is open year round, being closed only during club events.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.