Condor loads for the 25-35 Win - Data and pic added

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Condor loads for the 25-35 Win - Data and pic added

Post by Old Savage »

I am looking at loading 100 gr spitzer bullets for a Win 94 25-35 Win for hunting in the Ca. condor areas. Has anyone tried this. I realize it will be a two shooter.

Here are the initial results of loading for the 25-35. Due to the expense. I fired a shot and a second to confirm the first. Then changed the sight setting. I changed sights twice as I think will be evident looking at the picture. These bullet are capable of at least 7/8" at 100 yds as you can see that the three in the black area would have been that size with the sight change taken into account. This rifle was previously sighted with normal Silvertips and Sierra Pro Hunters. Don't know why they shoot so differently. With 3 243s and factory ammo and the 45-70 reloads this was not the case. I wonder if this velocity - 2250 at the muzzle is sufficient to cause expansion to 150 yds. Maybe I should maximize the velocity for this load. There is virtually no expansion on the cases. This caliber is a delight to reload for. The load was 27.0 gr of H380 and the TSX 100 gr bullet. The first shots are in the lower left. The next shot is the right most of the top three, then I moved the sighting one inch to the left.

Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Copper/Guilding/Condor loads for the 25-25 Win

Post by El Chivo »

should work fine - you might want to e-mail Barnes to find out what velocity they need to expand, it's probably pretty high.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

You should be able to drive those light TSX bullets to about 2700 FPS with relative ease. Ammo Guide lists no data for the Barnes bullets on their site. No modern load guides bother with the .25-35 WCF, not even Lyman 49 and Barnes 4. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I would think one could harvest a Condor with most any bullet. :P :P
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
2520WHV
Levergunner

Post by 2520WHV »

Bullard4075 wrote:I would think one could harvest a Condor with most any bullet. :P :P
Nope........

Only lead gets them!!! Ask the enviro-wackos!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are listed as Condor Bullets at the local gun shop so apparently you can only take condors with non lead bullets. Condors are so cagey that they can find animals that have been shot with lead bullets but not die quickly then eat the lead bullets - they must have quite a sense of smell because how many such critters would there be. And then the Condors would have to die right where they could be found by someone who could determine that was what had happened and that would have to be before the coyotes et al got the Condor carcass. I know it strains the imagination but the liberals have figured all this out and you see how they did on health care and the stimulus. :D :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

264 Win Mag
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 264 Win Mag »

Old Savage wrote:They are listed as Condor Bullets at the local gun shop so apparently you can only take condors with non lead bullets. Condors are so cagey that they can find animals that have been shot with lead bullets but not die quickly then eat the lead bullets - they must have quite a sense of smell because how many such critters would there be. And then the Condors would have to die right where they could be found by someone who could determine that was what had happened and that would have to be before the coyotes et al got the Condor carcass. I know it strains the imagination but the liberals have figured all this out and you see how they did on health care and the stimulus. :D :D :D
The people who have all of that Condor business figured out are probably so smart that its my opinion they are the ones we should be asking for the correct load data! :lol:

Thomas
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

264 Win Mag wrote:
Old Savage wrote:They are listed as Condor Bullets at the local gun shop so apparently you can only take condors with non lead bullets. Condors are so cagey that they can find animals that have been shot with lead bullets but not die quickly then eat the lead bullets - they must have quite a sense of smell because how many such critters would there be. And then the Condors would have to die right where they could be found by someone who could determine that was what had happened and that would have to be before the coyotes et al got the Condor carcass. I know it strains the imagination but the liberals have figured all this out and you see how they did on health care and the stimulus. :D :D :D
The people who have all of that Condor business figured out are probably so smart that its my opinion they are the ones we should be asking for the correct load data! :lol:

Thomas
Oh they can sure give you a load. If they do though you would be better off spreading it on your garden
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

SJPrice wrote:
264 Win Mag wrote:

Thomas
Oh they can sure give you a load. If they do though you would be better off spreading it on your garden

:lol:
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

I can not remember where I came up with this but I thought that the factory load for the 117 grain round nose bullets was 25 grain of 3031.Tried that with 75 grain flat points without a problem how it would work for the 100 grain barnes I'm not sure but will follow this thread. The condors should be tasty as they are apparently hand feed because the other group of nuts takes the whale carcasses off the beaches-which they used to feed on.You may want to look at hornady load data too they do list some loads with barnes bullets.Edit I just took a look at the hornady site they have several loads for 117 grain factory style bullets none with IMR 3031 but it could give you an idea about where to start.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Old Savage wrote:I am looking at loading 100 gr spitzer bullets for a Win 94 25-35 Win for hunting in the Ca. condor areas. Has anyone tried this. I realize it will be a two shooter.
While not a condor friendly bullet I shoot the Speer 100-grain JHP in my Winchester Model 94AE. I feed these through the magazine with no difficulty.
While this information does not help perhaps my load thoughts will be.
I use Alliant Reloder 10X and Reloder 15 for my highest velocities. From the 20” barrel the 100-grain delivers 2,640 fps with 26.0 grains of Reloder 10X. I have chronographed many of these and my load book has velocities recorded from 2,615 fps to 2,640 fps depending on the day.
28.0 grains of Hodgdon 4895 pushes the 100-grain JHP Speer bullets to 2,567 fps.

The bulk Remington spitzers deliver about 40 fps less velocity with the same powder charges.

If you are willing to give up about 50 fps 28.0 grains of Hodgdon Varget give me 2,494 fps and 29.0 grains of IMR 4320 gives me 2,497 fps. Both of these loads will deliver astonishing accuracy in my Winchester Model 94AE. The same loads would deliver equal accuracy in my TC barrels but they stick tight and must be started out with a cleaning rod. These loads are not would could be termed high pressure as they extract from the Winchester with no sign of stickiness but the TC barrel with its limited extraction capability cannot start extraction.

Unfortunately my TC barrels are fast twist barrels so I am unable to get the “gilt edge” accuracy from the lighter bullets. Greg Mushial from GMDR has explored the slow twist barrel and for 100-grain and lighter bullets the slow twist barrel delivers superior performance.
I hope this helps and I look forward to reading of your shooting with the TSX.
Slim
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thank you William, I bought a box of the 100 Gr TSX in .257 which I am intending to try in the 250 Savage - 24" 99 and in the 94 - the very one used in the Gun Blast tests. I see Ken Waters got 2600+ with the 100 gr Sierra in the Model 8 25 Remington with 30 gr of 4064. We shall see.

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

thank you! I want to try them in a 94 carbine and a 257 Roberts in a Mauser small ring.Mauser shouldn't be a problem ,the 25-35 just so little info.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Condor loads for the 25-35 Win - Data and pic added

Post by Old Savage »

Pic and data added to the first post.

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Here are three targets for your .23-35 "Condor loads". They came to eat a gut pile from a pig taken Saturday AM. Condors make turkey vultures look like crows.ImageImage
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Are those really Condors..? If so,..don't you have about 5% of the population residing on your place.?

After looking them up on Wikipedia, you can see a white number on atleast one them on the wing like this fellow.

I would have thought they would be few and far between...

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

OS - you might be close with the expansion velocity at 150 yds. I just checked my 30-30 load data, and at 150 yds those are going 1600 (muzzle velocity is the same, but you have a better BC). Anyway, some of those spire points need 1800 to expand, you might check with Barnes about yours.

With the copper I think maximizing the velocity would be a good idea.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

These loads should be going over 1800 in fact about 1950 according to one ballistics calculator.

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

well then you're good to go, start rubbing the sage all over you
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: Condor loads for the 25-35 Win - update data and pic

Post by Old Savage »

Tried upping the charge of H380 to 30 gr. Velocity jumped to 2418 - 2476 range. That changed the sighting somewhat. I used the new brass colored WLRs for some and some very old Win primers marked Standard or Magnum loads - no guarantee they were all the same. The first groups you see marked new WLRs are very different the the last group. The temp on the thermometer in the shade was 110 and another in the shade at the range house read 108. I made no attempt at leaving the barrel cool. The target speaks for itself to some extent. Anyway, I have a pretty good idea what to expect velocity wise. I will go back and try another group. On the 250 I cannot get it to shoot on paper at 50 yds with a 21 " target that normal loads are zeroed on so I will give up that project for now. I don't know if there is even enough adjustment in the scope and I am not going to use any more bullets on it.

Last edited by Old Savage on Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

A friend was trying to get his 250 to shoot the Barnes 80 or 90 grain bullets for his wife I'll ask if he had any success.Looks like you working into a good load in the 25-35!I wonder if the blue polymer tipped Barnes bullets would offer any advantage.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are more than a buck a piece and the TSX is working fine in the 25-35. I just have to redo my loads all with the same primers and get it zeroed. It looks like it is within 2 1/2" in high at a 100 yds and 2" low at 200 with the velocity staying over 2000 fps. Pressures are fine and the chamber on this rifle must be tight because there appears to be no swelling at the pressure ring level. I am going to simplify things further by not crimping. I will not be loading the tube.

With the 250 as far off as it is at 50 yds I doubt I could alter the scope zero enough to get it on. I have not seen this big a difference with anything before.

model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

My friend had no luck with the 250, the twist is just too slow on the older rifles 1 to 14 or there about.