Any good recoil pads for the Rossi 357 lever ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvcman
Levergunner

Any good recoil pads for the Rossi 357 lever ?

Post by cvcman »

My Rossi has the metal butt plate, does anyone make and sell a good prefit pad ?
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Any good recoil pads for the Rossi 357 lever ?

Post by Booger Bill »

Try these. I ordered two for mine. I needed a longer length of pull. So far I like them.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,848.html
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Rossi makes one that they fit to their .454 lever guns. I wont vouch for the fit but if you can find the part it would work.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

cvcman wrote:My Rossi has the metal butt plate, does anyone make and sell a good prefit pad ?
Tender shoulder with a 357mag levergun?? They ain't got no recoil to speak so I'm wondering if you've got an injured shoulder there.
Last edited by COSteve on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I was thinking the same as Steve. Recoil is almost noticeable in mine.
Now if the butt is short/long or you need a different shape, there are many replacements that can be FITTED. :wink:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I actually PREFER a rubber recoil pad, so the gun's butt doesn't slide on the floor if I lean it against something.

Sometimes, I like one to lengthen the pull, as well.

The 'John Masen' ones made for the Ruger 10/22, 96/22, 96/44 and Mini-14, look to be a near-perfect fit for the Rossi 'Puma' carbines...Rimfiresports.com has them, as does Cabela's and MidwayUsa and Natchez I belive.

Here's pics of the one I use on a Ruger (next to is it a Puma 92); if you want, I can try to actually swap-fit mine to see if there'd be much work to finish-fitting it. If so, PM me and I'll put it on my to-do list.
Buttstocks-1.JPG
Buttstocks-2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Maybe I missed the post. But have you fired this weapon before now?

If not I sugest you try it before looking for recoil solutions.
While I admit that when I fire a full box of 50 rounds through my 44 mag carbine my shoulder lets me know ( not like it did before ataching a limbsaver) the 357 I would expect to be rather gentler. To the shooter that is. To whatever is on the recieving end is pretty much toast regardless of which is being used.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

The Rossi 357 that I have kicks about as much as the Daisy Red Rider BB gun that I had when I was a kid. What are you loading in yours that delivers so much recoil that a pad is necessary, anyhow? I have to admit that the Rossi 44 mag rifle that I have kicks more than my Winchester trapper in the same caliber--but my 357 is really mild.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I have both 44 mag and 357. The 44 kicks some and the 357 needs no pad, very light recoil for me. However both have far too short of length of pull. I am a fat 6 ft, and I would think anyone over 5 ft 8"s might also need a pad to help the length of pull on those 92s. I find them unreasonbly short.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Booger Bill wrote:I have both 44 mag and 357. The 44 kicks some and the 357 needs no pad, very light recoil for me. However both have far too short of length of pull. I am a fat 6 ft, and I would think anyone over 5 ft 8"s might also need a pad to help the length of pull on those 92s. I find them unreasonbly short.
They have the same length of pull (LOP) as a std Win '92. They are carbines after all.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I would like something fitted, maybe leather to cover the metal butt plate for non slip and to protect the thing. Mine is a 45 Colt for which I have some heavy loads not a problem but the butt slips under the recoil.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Well, I do have 37" sleeves. So I guess I aint quite normal--hey that dont sound good! Years ago I had a original 92 long octogon barrel rifle that I had converted to .357. Alas, its long gone. I also have a 94 I bought new as a kid in the 50s. I soon put a pad on that too for LOP.
Off thread, my rossi has the rear sight some degrees off to the right, as the rear sight lines up with the right corner of the hammer instead of square in the middle like my browning 92. I havent wringed it out much yet, but guess I will just live with it as long as it hits POA. But it do bug me some!
ChuteTheMall
Levergunner

Post by ChuteTheMall »

I'm thinking of lacing on a recoil pad primarily to reduce slippage out of my shoulder pocket.

Second benefit would be to keep it from slipping when I lean it vertical.

Third benefit would be length of pull, but I can adjust myself either way.

Fourth benefit would be training new shooters.

After my Mosin-Nagant M44 in 7.62x54R with it's steel buttplate, recoil is no concern in .38 or .357. :shock:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I use the same ones that Booger Bill shows in his reply - mine are from Cabelas. Didn't know that Buffalo Arms has em too - good to know that!

Mine are for recoil - not to lengthen pull. I have em on my 95 in 405 Win, my converted .356 Win Marlin, etc. but they do work well for lengthening - you can put a spacer in there too to create even more length.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

More carbs. :P Less exercise. :P Put an extra layer of fat on them bones, fellas! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Now I'm thinking 'bout getting one of those Buffalo Arms lace on pads; look good. Way back when I was young and crazy, I fell off my Harley and broke my collarbone. A few years later I had to have a plate/bar installed, w/6 screws, and grafts, to fix it right. So happens to be my shootin' side and I can only let off 15 or so .44 mags in my Puma before it gets too painful. Or mebbe I'm just a wusss... :oops:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

mikld wrote:Now I'm thinking 'bout getting one of those Buffalo Arms lace on pads; look good. Way back when I was young and crazy, I fell off my Harley and broke my collarbone. A few years later I had to have a plate/bar installed, w/6 screws, and grafts, to fix it right. So happens to be my shootin' side and I can only let off 15 or so .44 mags in my Puma before it gets too painful. Or mebbe I'm just a wusss... :oops:
No, you're not a wuss. I've got a bad neck result of too many parachute feet-butt-head landings and a motorcycle crash, thus I find a .44 Puma eventually painful to shoot and the .454 was intolerable. Same goes for some jack-slap bolt guns I've got (Norwegian K98 in .30-06, Finn M39 etc.) - a few rounds from the bench and I'm done.

I know some folks chew up a .454 Puma or a .45-70 Marlin guide gun and spit 'em out with a laugh but it just aint me. Wish it were.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright