OT--African Bolt Guns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--African Bolt Guns

Post by getitdone1 »

Most of you here know about controlled feed, etc. as the way to go with a gun for African or dangerous game hunting.

I've been of this persuasion too but am wondering if this is correct. How often do the non-control feed bolt-actions fail to feed or eject? Not often I'm sure. Never, in my limited experience.

Now to get to my main reason for this post. Would it be poor judgement for me to use my Browning A-Bolt chambered for 375 H&H magnum for dangerous game hunting? If so, why? This gun is about a pound lighter than most bolt guns chambered for this round. With limbsaver pad it's no problem and a pound lighter is nice. I really, really like the short bolt handle throw of the A-Bolts, Weatherbys, Colt Sauer, etc. mainly because it sure avoids the hassle of the bolt handle being close to scope when feeding another round. Faster too and my A-Bolt II is an anti-bind type. Slick.

Or course the, generally, preferred bolt guns for African hunting are: Winchester model 70 w/controlled feed, etc. Rigby and Mauser. Anyone priced a Rigby bolt gun lately? I haven't but know they cost a bunch. A Rigby chambered for 416 Rigby ctg. Now wouldn't that be a gun to have?!! I'm told that cartridge kicks a whole lot more than a 375 H&H and I believe it. Impressive cartridge.

Don McCullough
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--African Bolt Guns

Post by madman4570 »

Don,
That Browning A-Bolt and in .375H&H sure I would use it. :wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Wow -- good question. Not sure about "poor judgement" --- have you tried to simulate a "panic shoot" at an out-of the way range ? With so many people using leverguns in big calibers (well, a handful of people that is) i dont understand how a push feed bolt gun would be any more of a handicap -- and handicap is not really the right word.

I am admittedly not safari- savvy, but i dont think anyone is going to kick you out of Africa for using a Mark 5 Weatherby, so why would there be a prob with the A-Bolt? -- that is, if you've done your best to simulate some stress firing and trust it implicitly

I always thought if the opportunity ever came up, i would take twin Mark 5's in .375 and .460 as a 2 gun battery with an additional lighter rifle , say a .30-'06 for plains game (guess that makes it a 3 gun battery)
----- Doug
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Can't remember where or when, but it was recent that they had a controlled round vs push feed comparison for cycling at 90, 180, 270, and 360 degrees orientation. The push feed failed to cycle correctly a couple of times I believe upside down, and straight up. Not a lot, but on a dangerous game rifle no failures of any kind are acceptable to me. Hense the CRF 70's in the safe. YMMV
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

First of all, it seems you are the client not the PH. Second, I have not had a problem with push feed guns over the years but I have had a Mauser 98 extractor breakd and one spring come loose causing malfunctions. Your rifle would be fine. There are a lot of pros and cons for CF vs. Non-CF. What I choose is for different reasons that what you need to use. Shoot straight with the right ammo and you'll rarely need a second shot. If you do, you can very likely count on your rifle to get it done.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

My first choice would be my ruger 77 458wm -- non crf! I bought it in 1981 and its fed and fired every time. My 375 is a remington 700 and I'd take it too. The one that would stay in the safe at home would be the winchester 70 in .470 capstick!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe much of the "advantage" of the CRF action has more to do with operator error than actual mechanical reliability. Short stroking the action on a push feed action can jam it with 2 rounds trying to chamber, (if you push a round in and don't close the bolt all the way, then pull it back and pick up another, it will jam) it is said it can't happen with a Mauser type. Coopers thoughts come to mind, work that bolt like you MEAN IT! Long ago I got in the habit of what amounts to slamming it open and closed at all times, the brass be darned. I can pick it up later. Trying to delicately operate a bolt just to save brass is a bad habit if you ever take your gun out in the field where critters can grow sharp edges, or if you feel you need to be concerned about your rifles reliabilty. My Mauser brass ends up 10 feet away or more. I couldn't care less if I lost any, I try to practice to develop good field habits. I don't even look for brass until I'm done shooting and ready to go home. It's all about forming habits.

I simply don't are whether my rifle is a CRF or push feed. I've never had a problem with a Ruger 77 action functioning. I have had a couple glitches with Mausers and 1903 Springfields.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I can't answer your question, but bear in mind that the new Rugers are controlled feed as well.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

kinda funny, i was waiting in line (drive thru) at the bank today and was flipping through an issue of rifle magazine in my glovebox --- Brian Pearce wrote an article about PF vs CF in the November '09 issue (also demonstrates how often i organize my glovebox, or that would have hit the round file long ago - :lol: )

I couldnt get through the whole article , but if you guys have it in inventory - its there, or the article may be available online

EDIT+ doesn't look like Wolfe Publishing puts old articles online -- bummer . Now i have to read the article and paraphrase it later, sorry :o
----- Doug