Rebounding hammers/ tang safety on the new Winchesters

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Rebounding hammers/ tang safety on the new Winchesters

Post by RDB »

Hi guys I am new here but been lurking for awhile.

A member here had asked that I repost this info. Hope it helps someone else out.

After being quoted $600 plus the $100 shipping bill to convert the Miruko/Winchester's newest rebounding hammer and tang safety to the original Winchester half cock version I thought I'd look around.

Turns out it is actually a fairly easy fix with 2 new Browning '86 parts and a few minutes with a hand file. Not back to the original Browning design but close enough for what I wanted.

Parts are available from Midwest Gun Supply @ 636 475 7300.

Browning 1886 parts:
Part #PO70150 Hammer $62.67
Part #PO70290 Trigger $48.30

plus shipping.

Cut and pasted..directions and a link:

'92
http://home.roadrunner.com/~ji...gs/win1892/index.htm

'86
http://reloadingandlevergunnin...rmiroku-86-mods.html

Not my writing but thought it worth reposting here.
TMC4232 sez:
"I would like to share an exciting modification that I came up with for my Miroku 1886 Winchester Take Down 45-70 that goes beyond the rebounding hammer fix. I don't think anyone has done this so far.

In searching the internet about this oddity I ran across the excellent articles with photos from "Steveb" at [url=http://reloadingandlevergunning.blog...u-86-mods.html]http://reloadingandlevergunning.blog...u-86-mods.html[/url] and SAA Jim at http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jimstags/win1892/index.htm.

As they suggested, I first removed the long arm of the hammer strut that was causing the rebounding action and was happy to see that the rebound was truly gone, but also discovered that the hammer could still be made to operate from this "half cock" position with a firm pull of the trigger. Not good. After more research I received an email from a gentleman, Mike D in northern California, who told me that I could replace the politically correct Winchester hammer and it's two piece trigger / sear with the correct Browning hammer and one piece Browning trigger / sear. I could not call Midwest Gun Works quick enough. The two parts were about $115 if I remember correctly.

The parts arrived and I happily commenced removing the Winchester parts and installed the Browning parts, only to discover that the Winchester tang Safety bar was now preventing the Browning hammer to fully cock. Soooooooo, instead of considering to remove the Safety or to have it welded up and re-stamped with the correct period wording, especially in this economy , I spent about an hour thinking how I could salvage the Safety since it was already there. I removed the Safety bar and realized that the Safety could still work if part of the Safety bar were removed to allow the hammer to pass in it's arc to full cock. So, I placed the Safety bar in my bench vise, and filed it in such a way (at an angle) that when installed and in the "Fire" position the Safety bar does not obstruct the movement of the hammer at all, and when in the "Safe" position, the Safety bar moves over in the path of the hammer and PREVENTS the hammer from moving any further back than the half cock position. Therefore, when the hammer is resting on the inertia firing pin OR when the hammer is in the half cock position, the Safety can be easily engaged. When it is engaged, the hammer will not move back nor can the loading lever be actuated. The gun is essentially LOCKED and SAFE. When the Safety is moved to the "Fire" position, the hammer glides all the way back into full cock without obstruction.

The whole job took a couple of hours only because I would file, test fit, file, test fit, etc., plus I like to take my time on my gunsmithing. Once finished I used G96 Cold Blue on the Safety bar so it would blend in with the rest of the parts, then applied some GI surplus M1 Garand grease to all moving parts.

My 1886 Winchester now has a true half cock and a Safety which is the best of both worlds. I thought about welding up the tang and having it re-stamped with the "Model 1886", but afterall it is what it is, my design works, and I can put that kind of money towards another rifle.

My 1886 Winchester now functions and looks like it is supposed to and I LOVE IT.

Here are the "After" photos:"

After eliminating the rebounding hammer on my own gun here are a few impressions. Adding a Browning 1886 hammer with a true half cock notch and one piece trigger/sear was very easy. Getting off the stock without damaging it was the hardest part of that. I cleaned up the hammer hooks and sear engagement surface with a felt wheel and got a very crisp 3# trigger. But it took addressing a few additional areas to get it perfect for what I wanted. Trigger pull on these guns is primarily controlled by the leaf spring that is also the mainspring foundation for the strut. All of that is bolted to the lower tang. Not the best idea IMO but very simple in function. I removed a tiny cross pin that stopped upward travel on the leaf spring and then bent the leaf spring up a bit to take some pressure off the trigger. That worked and drastically dropped the original trigger pull weight. A nasty heavy trigger is the biggest single thing everyone seems to hate on the tang safety Winchesters.

I also took one of my polishing wheels to the back side of the MIM trigger/sear piece to allow that leaf spring to travel more freely on the engagement surface. Easy to see where you'll want to do that while you are putting the gun back together. Take your time and polish the engagement surfaces of the springs, strut and sear hammer hooks. It will pay big rewards towards a crisp trigger when you are done.

I removed two coils from the mainspring but that was a huge mistake! You need more mainspring power if you are using the Browning hammer and original Winchester strut that came with the gun. The strut arm holes in the hammers and the hammer shapes are quite different between Browning and Winchester. The Browning hammer is much lighter in weight and lacks a lot of mass/material compared the the heavier Winchester hammer. Because of that the Winchester strut is short for the Browning hammer.

Leave the mainspring stock length if you are using the Winchester strut with a Browning hammer.

No need to cut the mainspring anyway once you address the right springs that adds wieght to the trigger pull.

The infamous tang safety? Well it now locks the hammer on safe in either the down or half cock position. But remember that you also have the added safety of a spring loaded and shorter than the bolt firing pin which betters the original '86 design. (think a tried and true 1911 firing pin design here) After shooting the gun a bit it is painfully obvious to me that at some point you will unintentionally engage the the tang safety during rapid fire with this gun. And that will lock the gun up solid. Dismal thought at best for what I might use a lever gun for. After that discovery I decided to pull all the internal tang safety parts and glue into the tang the sliding filler until, or if, I ever have it filled more permanently. YMMV..that is mine :D

I had also ordered the complete mainspring/strut set up for the '86 Browning. Another half dozen parts and $60 or so but the best way to correct weak hammer strikes with the Browning hammer installed.

Nice gun other than that the tang safety/rebounding hammer issue. But it gets a little more complicated that described on the previous web site links once you add the Browning hammer if my gun is any example.

If I were to do it again on a rifle used purely for hunting with no worries for cosmetics I would buy only the Browning sear and remove both the tang safety and the rebounding hammer and live without a fully functioning half cock notch.

this part is new and a sales pitch

After playing with this whole thing and looking at the options I will be producting precision machined filler pieces (both hot blued and in the white) to fill the tang safety slot and the slot cut in the Winchester '86 hammer. You can easily set them with red/271 or green/640 locktite or epoxy them in place. Tang safety can be welded in from the back side of the tang as well. Same parts are going on my personal EL high grade shooter so you know they will be done right.

Prices are yet to be set but it will a good bit less than the original Winchester or Browning replacement parts and keep the Winchester hammer in service while not looking so out of place on our guns. PM me if you are interested.
Last edited by RDB on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rebounding hammers/ tang safety on the new Winchesters

Post by 1886 »

Welcome! Good deal. Thanks for sharing. Mike D. has modified a couple of the new 86s. Get his feedback. 1886.
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Thanks 1886...hopefully others will chime in on their own experinces with the new Winchesters.

I shot mine for the first time on Friday. I was in a hurry and had other guns I had to shoot and then ship out so I just wanted to verify where my 300g and 400g ammo would be hitting from this gun.

At 50 yards both shot exactly point of aim, one round into the center of the paper plate and then I used that as the aiming point for the next two rounds. The '86 virtually made one hole groups with both factory loads. The 400s (two in the same hole the third a 1/2 cal out of that hole) just shooting a tiny bit better than the 300s (tight clover leaf) this time out. Can't tell ya how thrilled I was with the accuracy and the gun shooting point of aim after deciding to turn a high grade into my new shooter.

Next chance I get I'll do the same at 100 yards and then start working on my own 400g loads.
45/85/410s :)
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Fantastic!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Good show and thanks for the post.

Oh yes, welcome to Leverguns.com.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

"The infamous tang safety? Well it now locks the hammer on safe in either the down or half cock position. But remember that you also have the added safety of a spring loaded and shorter than the bolt firing pin which betters the original '86 design. (think a tried and true 1911 firing pin design here) After shooting the gun a bit it is painfully obvious to me that at some point you will unintentionally engage the the tang safety during rapid fire with this gun. And that will lock the gun up solid. Dismal thought at best for what I might use a lever gun for. After that discovery I decided to pull all the internal tang safety parts and glue into the tang the sliding filler until, or if, I ever have it filled more permanently. YMMV..that is mine :D"

I did the swap on my EL and when I reassembled the safety components, I tightened the screw holding the safety in place a little more than it was from the factory and this stiffened up the throw of the safety. It WILL NOT accidentally engage, requiring a very stiff down and slide motion to move it. That said it just stays off safe and I use the half cock as intended. The folks at midwest are awesome to deal with by the way.
H_Talon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by H_Talon »

Great .. now have you thought about doing the same thing for the 1895's ?????

Talon
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Considering how the legal system works these days, your method is probably safer from a legal standpoint that my remove and weld over the slot job. I have used 1886 Winchester for so many years that my fumble fingers weren't coordinated enough to work the darned safeties. A couple of times I dropped the hammer on a buck and CLICK", nothing. More than once the gun wouldn't fire, even with the tang safety off. The Browning hammer and trigger made a whale of a difference, but I remain wary of the two piece firing pin. Sooner that later, I'm going to replace the Miroku bolt with one from an original late 1886 .33 rifle. I would also prefer the older style flat mainspring, too, but that would mean replacing the tang with an old one and using an original hammer with fly. I still might modify the lower tang for either a Model 71 hammer and spring or the Browning spring setup. I have both, so either option is a possibility. I don't believe that an original one piece firing pin will fit the Miroku bolt, either, but I possibly could try that, too. I love to mess with the new guns, too. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had one 1886 Extra Lightweight, and a couple of 95's with the top tang safety. They are all gone now, and replaced by a couple of fine Browning pre-safety models. I have made up my mind that I just won't buy one with the rebounding hammer or top tang safety, anymore. I am glad I finally found about everything I want, in the older models, for me it's worth the extra money, and the hunt.

However, anyone that manages to get one fixed, I am happy for them, and good luck to the anyone who is trying to eliminate those nusances.
NRA Life Member, Patron
gunner69
Levergunner 1.0

Post by gunner69 »

darn, cought these posts too late....... I just bought TWO winchesters with the tang mounted safety. That sucks.......
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

Never too late :) I have owned older Winchesters, Brownings and now the new Winchesters. Like 1886 I am too old to change so the tang safety needed to go.
Rebounding hammer makes no sense to me. Firing pin some...but would like to hear anyone's experience if they change out to a Browning or original Winchester one piece part. I see Turnbull does just that on some of the conversions.

Easy enough...well sorta any way.

I also bought the complete Browning system for the hammer strut. It won't work without drilling an extra hole or adding the Browning lower tang. Thinking about buying the tang this morning.

Only reason I bought a new Winchester that I knew would need to be "fixed" is I loved the format on the EL. Been wanting a EL for several decades..the engraving just sent me over the top. Still need to color case the hammer, lever, butt plate and end cap though. But that will have to wait till after Elk season. Hopefully my 45/85/410 reamer will make it here before the season opens. No worries if not as 45/70 will get the job done easiy enough.

My rifle :)