Cannalured Groove vs. none

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Cannalured Groove vs. none

Post by getitdone1 »

I may not have spelled cannalured right but you know what I mean. The groove they often put around a bullet. You crimp the mouth of the case into it.

Reason for this post. I see Hornady offers a 110 gr, .277 bullet with AND without this groove. I'm guessing for top accuracy the one without the cannalure would be a little better.

Of course this applies to all calibers and be good to know which type of bullet is the most accurate.

Would the non-cannalured bullet shoot a little faster due to the case mouth fitting more tightly, to the bullet? Assuming a good, tight crimp on both types. I believe the main reason for the cannalure is to help keep the bullet from being pushed down into the case under recoil so it might really only be needed for he hard kickers.

Don McCullough
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Cannalured Groove vs. none

Post by El Chivo »

I seem to have better accuracy with those copper-plated bullets that don't have cannelures vs the lead ones that do. However, I like crimping to a groove; it gives me a consistent OAL and must be better for a tubular mag.

I think it's time for you to order both and do tests at 200 yards, and report back.

You're shooting .277, is that for a bolt rifle?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I think the bullet is offer both ways to accomadate shooters both the .270 and the 6.8 SPC, the latter would require a cannular in auto rifles.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For tubular magazines or military duplication ammo I crimp in the crimp grove.
For bolt action sporting rifles I don't crimp at all. Crimp grove or not.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't crimp on non-cannelure bullets. I may use a very light taper crimp on my 7mm magnum to eliminate any bullet jump for rounds in the magazine.. Otherwise I rely on neck tension with this type bullet.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

I do the same as Griff and have had no problems at all.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.