Want a 22mag Lever, But They Cost More to Shoot Than 357mag

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Want a 22mag Lever, But They Cost More to Shoot Than 357mag

Post by COSteve »

It's aggravating! There are nice Winchester 94/22Ms, Henry 22Ms, and Ruger 96/22Ms out there that look fun to own. Also, I'm sure that adding a 22mag levergun to my stable would be great fun, however, here's the rub. Even in bulk, 22mag ammo is much more expensive than reloading my 38spl+P or 357mags! The only thing that comes close is Fiocchi and it has a bad rep for misfires. For the increased cost of ammo I just can't see buying one. What's a person to do? Grrrrrrrr!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Want a 22mag Lever, But They Cost More to Shoot Than 357mag

Post by J Miller »

I've never understood the much higher cost of .22 Mag ammo. In reality it just cannot cost that much more to manufacture. I've often thought the shooters were getting screwed when they bought it.
I guess that's why I still don't own a .22 Mag rifle, and almost never shoot the mag cylinder for my Super Single-Six.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

J Miller wrote:I've never understood the much higher cost of .22 Mag ammo. In reality it just cannot cost that much more to manufacture.

It likely has to do with the bullet. While .22 LR bullets are just lead, or in some cased lead lightly plated with that copper looking stuff, .22 mag bullets are loaded with the same bullets that could go in a .22 Hornet or .223.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

COSteve wrote:It's aggravating! There are nice Winchester 94/22Ms, Henry 22Ms, and Ruger 96/22Ms out there that look fun to own. Also, I'm sure that adding a 22mag levergun to my stable would be great fun, however, here's the rub. Even in bulk, 22mag ammo is much more expensive than reloading my 38spl+P or 357mags! The only thing that comes close is Fiocchi and it has a bad rep for misfires. For the increased cost of ammo I just can't see buying one. What's a person to do? Grrrrrrrr!!
You could always buy a 96/22M and replace the barrel with a 10/22 barrel. IIRC there are plenty of instructions out there for how to do it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Ya, but...You don't have to pick up your brass, clean it, prep it and load it. Add in your time loading at min wage and the .22 WMR is cheaper. Also fun, relaxing and capable round up to coyote sized game.
I must admit my Single Six's do not see a lot of magnum use, but my 9422M is one of my favorites!
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think what you really want is a 10mm levergun.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Old Ironsights wrote:You could always buy a 96/22M and replace the barrel with a 10/22 barrel. IIRC there are plenty of instructions out there for how to do it.
There are folks on RimfireCentral.com I think who have made their 96/22M's into an "all-four-rimfires" gun by getting swap-out barrels in 17 HMR (that one is easy, no new magazine or anything - just swap the barrel out), and in the regular .22 LR and .17 M2 (requires making a spacer so the shorter magazines will fit in the longer receiver hole).

Of course, if you wanted a .22 LR in the first place, I'm sure you'd just get a .22 LR...!

I like the 22 Mag I have (Ruger 96), but admit that for high-volume plinking, I use the regular .22 LR; I consider the .22 Mag for more "serious" work... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

bought some of this at a fun show,

http://www.rmammo.com/index.php?main_pa ... ho0p7b82h4

cheaper that factory .38s,
a little more than home built .38s, IF you only buy powder and primers.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I've got 5 22lr rifles so that isn't the issue. I want to give the 22mag a go but my 'cheap button' says that they aren't worth it as long as I can reload 38spl+p and 357mag for cheaper.

BTW, reloading isn't a chore for me but rather a separate hobby that I enjoy. I's still do it even if the ammo I produced cost the same as commercial ammo.
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I guess what it really boils down to is "Can a .22 Mag levergun DO anything better than the .357 levergun...?"

I guess, for the sake of discussion, a few things would come to mind...
  • It might be available in a lighter/smaller package (although the little Rossi 16" 92's are pretty compact!)
    It might be a bit quieter (would depend on the .38 load, though)
    It might be a bit less destructive, when you want that.
    It would shoot a little flatter than an equally-less-destructive .38 load.
...but most importantly
  • It would be an excuse to get a .22 WMR revolver...!
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

When it comes to guns I guess I don't often think along the lines of "does it make sense"? Or at least not for years now. You work hard and you've earned the right to buy whatever tickles your fun bone - if you want one just get it. Here's my .22 mag:

It doesn't make much sense when my Uberti 1873 costs about the same to shoot but I don't let that bother me because it shoots differently and that's the fun of it. I'm lurking about and trolling for a 94/22 at this time.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Want a 22mag Lever, But They Cost More to Shoot Than 357

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I know that's why I always keep a eye out for a .218 bee. :lol:
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

COSteve wrote:I've got 5 22lr rifles so that isn't the issue. I want to give the 22mag a go but my 'cheap button' says that they aren't worth it as long as I can reload 38spl+p and 357mag for cheaper.

BTW, reloading isn't a chore for me but rather a separate hobby that I enjoy. I's still do it even if the ammo I produced cost the same as commercial ammo.

Not a lever gun caliber ( Unless Browning males one ? ) but I think I can load .223 with cast bullets for ~ the cost of .22 Mag ?

Probably getting ~ 2,000 fps with a home cast bullet of ~ 50 grains . That should do about what a .22 Mag does ?

God bless
Wyr
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

This has always been the problem with .22 magnum ammo. Given this I really cannot understand why the 22 mag is not a lot less popular than it currently is, and the 22 Hornet literally on its last legs.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

WyrTwister wrote:Not a lever gun caliber ( Unless Browning males one ? ) but I think I can load .223 with cast bullets for ~ the cost of .22 Mag ?

Probably getting ~ 2,000 fps with a home cast bullet of ~ 50 grains. That should do about what a .22 Mag does ?

God bless
Wyr
That's a whole 'nother thing as I reload 55grn .223 for about a third of what 22mags cost (8.1¢ea or $4.05 for 50). To be fair, I'm speaking of the 22mag in a levergun rather than a semi-auto or bolt.
Steve
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

.22 Mag has never made any sense to me either, I would never have bought one if I hadn't found the perfect sister to my 9422 XTR pre-checkered and for a price not too much over what I wanted to pay. Now the pair of them makes a very pretty sight, and I'd hate to give it up, but the chambering still makes no sense.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

COSteve wrote: To be fair, I'm speaking of the 22mag in a levergun rather than a semi-auto or bolt.
The cost of 22 mags is why I instead went the route of cast in a Marlin .218 Bee. 1800-2000fps and 2" at 100 yards is fairly easily achieved. The cost is mainly the primer as a 50gr cast bullet and a few grains of Unique don't cost much.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
FF1063
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FF1063 »

I like the .22 mag, flat shooting and accurate.
As far as ammo goes, Fiocchi has been very reliable for me, even better is Federal's 'Champion' load (40 grain FMJ), highly accurate, hot (over 1900 fps) and under $8.50 a box.
I think ya just gotta have both.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I got in on a group buy for one of Ranch Dog's molds. It's a 50 gr. with his characteristic wide flat nose. It should be here any day and I'm going to try and duplicate 22 mag. performance in my Marlin 218 Bee. Should be a hoot, and a lot cheaper to shoot than a 22 mag.
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

TedH wrote:I got in on a group buy for one of Ranch Dog's molds. It's a 50 gr. with his characteristic wide flat nose. It should be here any day and I'm going to try and duplicate 22 mag. performance in my Marlin 218 Bee. Should be a hoot, and a lot cheaper to shoot than a 22 mag.
I was wondering about doing that with a .22 Hornet, but the only rifle I have is a big ol' heavy Ruger Varmint one. If'n I had a handy little carbine-levergun, that would be good!

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I can buy .22 mag for around 18 cents a piece. While it is more expensive than reloading .38/.357, the minimal extra cost is not objectionable to the point of justifying my time at the bench IF it does the job I need doing. For all around woods bummin including coon and fox it is great. I'll also take a shot a coyote with one but IMO it's far from perfect for that role. A .38/.357 is great too but I have a hard time in my head shooting a centerfire up in the air at coon and squirrel.

But what it comes down to is a .22mag will do 80-90% of what I do in the woods. The other 10-20% being dedicated predator and deer hunts. The downside is a .22LR will do ALMOST as much as the .22mag at the closer ranges which I usually hunt at and a what are traditional woods bummin ranges around here. Thus, while I'm in the market for a good deal on a .22mag in a lever or semi (hint, hint) I'm currently mag-less. Sold a Marlin bolt off years ago.

LK
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

just make it a part-time gun, take it along to the range and shoot 10 rounds and quit. You can then move over to .357.

You may find the cost is worth it when you are hitting targets 50 yards farther with no extra holdover. Or you may decide you prefer the cheaper stuff.

Another idea is compare it to 267 WinRemMag Improved, which costs $4.89 per round (but will quarter a hog on the spot). Then you will feel you are saving money.

I still have my 35 Remington, even though I have to use expensive jacketed bullets to get an accurate load. I just shoot a few with that gun and stop, and move over to something else where the bullets are cheaper.

I also just bought a .243 Handi-Rifle, and don't plan to reload for it. I don't plan to shoot it for kicks, once it's sighted in I'll hunt with it and maybe shoot 5-10 periodically to check the scope alignment.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

Since I bought my .357 Rossi I have hardly put a round out of my .22 mag bolt rifle. Just know I'm refinishing the stock and will probably sell it for a pittance. No use to me owning a rifle I'm not going to use. Shame really as the .22 mag was my first rifle. Guess I got a practical / cheap bone as well

regards Jacko
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Jacko wrote:Since I bought my .357 Rossi I have hardly put a round out of my .22 mag bolt rifle. Just know I'm refinishing the stock and will probably sell it for a pittance. No use to me owning a rifle I'm not going to use. Shame really as the .22 mag was my first rifle. Guess I got a practical / cheap bone as well

regards Jacko
I'd hate for you to do that. You know you'll regret it.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Jacko, I'm like you. I can't see owning a firearm I don't shoot and shoot often. I guess that's why I don't have a very large collection as I've sold off many firearms over the years I didn't have a need for. (Funny, I don't miss them.) While a 22mag levergun would be a hoot, I just can't see what my two Rossi 357mags won't do as good or better using considerably cheaper ammo.

Thinking about it more, a 22mag levergun falls between my 22lr Henry and my Rossis as far as performance goes. It'll only perform a bit more than a 22lr and no where near what a 38spl, 38spl+P, 357mag, or .223 for that matter. I guess I've concluded that it's really a 'master of none' cartridge; too expensive to shoot for fun and not enough of a power increase to come close to justifying it's relatively high price.

Besides, in truth it's not about the cost of ammo; I can afford any ammo I really want. I guess it's more about reloading vs buying someone's bulk offerings for more money. For me reloading is a great hobby that I find relaxing and intellectually interesting. I'm also a tinkerer and love giving a new recipe a go at the range.

For instance, I currently have 4 different 158grn 38spl loads and 2 different 158grn 357mag loads. I have 5 different 40s&w loads, 4ea 45acp loads, 3ea 10mm loads, 3ea AR loads, and 2ea 30carbine loads. I guess that truth be told, I'd much rather make my own loads exactly the way I want them than buy the factory stuff even if it were cheaper than my own loads. :lol:
Steve
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the stingers and the velociter's, along with others, pretty much negate the magnum. while the magnum's ballistics are always gonna be better, is it worth the difference?
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

A .357 with 75gr "collar buttons" or 110gr HPs or ANY 100gr or less non-lead cast bulet will be infinitely cheaper and more useful than a 22mag...

I never understood the caliber other than as a marketing tool.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jacko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jacko »

I sold that .22 magnum Marlin 782 bolt rifle back when I was a teenager. Near 30 years later I was looking around in the local gun shop 5 or 6 years ago I guess and low and behold - there it was, much as it was when I sold it - I could not believe it :shock: so I bought it back. Since then the cost of ammo has kept any sentiment out of the occasion. I also have taken a lot of pleasure and satisfaction in learning to reload and developing loads for my Lever Rifles

The .22 magnum is a remarkable little cartridge, well capable of filling a big part of any shooting / hunting I do and it kills out of all proportion to it's ballistics but at $20+ for a box of Super X JHP which is the most accurate ammo out of my rifle - no thanks - that's half a pound of powder, part of a couple of hundred .357 loads. 125gr + p.38 special loads do a better job also. I have a Browning BL22 for cheap plinking and small game the .357 or .38 +P is too much for

regards Jacko
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

COSteve wrote:Thinking about it more, a 22mag levergun falls between my 22lr Henry and my Rossis as far as performance goes. It'll only perform a bit more than a 22lr and no where near what a 38spl, 38spl+P, 357mag, or .223 for that matter. I guess I've concluded that it's really a 'master of none' cartridge; too expensive to shoot for fun and not enough of a power increase to come close to justifying it's relatively high price.
True. I like to 'streamline' my overall gun collection with the idea of "How can I cover all reasonable needs with the MINIMUM number of cartridges, and calibers...?"
I suppose you have to think of the .22 LR as the 'floor' of the power-spectrum, due to common availability and low cost, and then decide how many 'increments' to go up from there to your "what if an elephant from the local zoo charges my house some night" scenario (justifying that .416 Rigby Encore barrel 8) ).

The .22 WMR is awfully close to the .22 LR in that case, unless you want ten or twelve 'increments' between .22 LR and .50 BMG.

Minimalist-thinking would have the bare-bones Mel Tappan or Jeff Cooper type 'battery' as including:
  • 12 ga shotgun (because it HAS to include a shotgun, and 12 gauge does about all of it reasonably well...

.22 LR (because it is widely avaliable, inexpensive, and at least lethal enough for most needs)

an 'accurate' and perhaps 'long range' bottle-neck round of some sort - .223 to .338 Lapua - gotta hit the proverbial 'gnat' sometimes!

a 'powerhouse' with more accuracy than the ordinary 12 gauge - say .45-70 or .444 Marlin.

a 'day-to-day' round like .32-20 or .357 Mag or .35 Rem, which does it ALL except for the really FAR away or really BIG stuff... In other words, the gun you REALLY 'reach for' most times, despite the theoretical arguments favoring others... :oops:
Hard to fit a .22 WMR in there, to be sure... :(

...but they're still FUN.... :wink:
COSteve wrote:I guess it's more about reloading vs buying someone's bulk offerings for more money.
It is a bummer you can't reload the .22 WMR, and are stuck with a few basic 'factory' offerings; THAT makes me like the .22 Hornet as much or better, but it just isn't available in as many 'light, handy carbine' type of guns.

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

AJMD429 wrote:
TedH wrote:I got in on a group buy for one of Ranch Dog's molds. It's a 50 gr. with his characteristic wide flat nose. It should be here any day and I'm going to try and duplicate 22 mag. performance in my Marlin 218 Bee. Should be a hoot, and a lot cheaper to shoot than a 22 mag.
I was wondering about doing that with a .22 Hornet, but the only rifle I have is a big ol' heavy Ruger Varmint one. If'n I had a handy little carbine-levergun, that would be good!

The Ranch Dog mold showed up yesterday. I set right in and cast a whole bunch of little tiny bullets. I'll tell ya what now, those little 22 cal. gas checks aren't a lot of fun to work with! Got some loaded tonight and hopefully will have a report this weekend.
NRA Life Member