Browning 53 makeover ideas

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Browning 53 makeover ideas

Post by kaschi »

I've got two Browning 53's, (caliber 32-20), and want to give one of them a makeover. Here's what I have in mind: I want to install a straight grip stock and add a full length mag tube. The straight grip stock will have a curved buttplate. Here are my two main concerns. 1) How easy is it to swap out the lower tang and replace it with a straight one? 2) Which lower tang could a guy utilize in place of the curved one? My thought would be to try and find a Browning "B92" lower tang and a lever since they would probably be dead ringers for the Model 53. What about the later USRAC 92 lower tangs and levers or did their retarded safety wreck that idea? Rossi ones might even work in a pinch. Any sources for these parts?
Looking forward to some of your suggestions!
Thanks,
Kaschi

P.S. As an afterthought, where is a good source for a stock and forearm since I'll be selling the ones presently on the rifle?
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

My suggestion would be to trade one of them for a Browning 92.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Do you know what the Browning Model 53 32-20 slugs out for in groove diameter? Is it typically .314?

The Browning 53 is such a beautiful rifle I wouldn't do anything to it except to refinish the wood so that it isn't so shiny.
Papa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Papa »

What Kirk said +1

Papa
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I already have two B92's-one in 357 Mag and one in 44 Mag. I was just wanting s/thing a little different so the transformed rifle I'm considering would best resemble a standard looking 92 in an original caliber, the good old 32-20. Sorry, can't tell ya what the bore slugs out at.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

No Wait!

I think it's a great idea!

BTW, I just happen to have a late Winchester 1892 high grade, with nice wood, checkered, crescent butt, and straight grip stock, that I'd like to make into a shotgun butt. I would trade parts with you if it will work for both of us. I think our parts will interchange for the most part. Levers will probably need to be swapped also.

[img][img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/ ... Grade2.jpg[/img][/img]

I don't have a pic of the buttstock itself, but can take one sometime tomorrow.
Last edited by Malamute on Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If these are typical Miroku guns, the parts will swap easily. I have changed Browning with Winchester and vice-versa.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There is one small difference in how the hammer spring seat fits the lower tang. I have the parts to convert mine to a Browning half cock hammer, and the mainspring and seat parts, just haven't had time to do it. I compared my Miroku Winchester with my Browning 92 and it looks like a fairly simple conversion.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

Don't know about your ideas but If I can get another 53 I am going to have it sleeved for 25-20. Sure wish they would make one of those.
Dave in TX
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I do appreciate the input. I often thought about the 25-20 route as well since it is a sweet but unfortunately forgotten cartridge. Malamute, maybe you remember me from a couple years back. I had a Browning 1886 converted to 50-110 and sold Muddy Bottom the barrel and the buttstock from it. If I'm not mistaken, he was planning on trading you something for one of those two items. I haven't seen him posting here lately. His computer went kaputt and was moving to Montana or somewhere thereabouts. Hope he's OK!
Anyhow, I was wanting to put just plain walnut wood on the 53 (when I get around to doing this project). There is a manufacturer who makes it for some obsolete guns including Winchesters, but can't remember who they are. I'll post their name when I run across it.... I also just found out that Midwest Guns probably has a "Browning" lever and lower tang for my project. When I have the 53's buttstock, lowertang, lever and forearm off and ready to sell, I will give you first chance for a reasonable price. Does that sound fair enough to you, Muddy Bottom?
Take care all.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Fellows, when you both get your swapping done and your rifles built, I'd sure enjoy seeing the finished result.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Kashi, Yes I recall. I bought the 86 parts from you and traded the crescent butt to Muddy Bottom for his shotgun butt, which now resides on my Browning 1886 short rifle. I still have the barrel.

I would be happy to buy the 53 butt stock and fore end, and lever and tang parts from you. I have the 92 high grade that I want to make a shotrgun butt, and I have a 92 Browning carbine I'm thinking about converting into a short rifle if I can get a decent butt stock. Your 53 stock and fore end would make both possible.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

OK, Malamute, please be patient since I can be a procrastonator, and when I get things all squared away, which could take a while, I will get in touch with you. You get first crack at the parts. Kaschi P.S. I'll have to talk my wife into a picture taking session and let you guys see the transformations to take place!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I understand Kaschi, I have projects that have been ongoing for a couple years,......

Would be glad to have the chance to buy your parts, whenever you are ready. Thanks.