Question on Buffalo Bill 94 Winchester Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Question on Buffalo Bill 94 Winchester Rifle

Post by Pop Watts »

Any of you fine people out there shoot a Buffalo Bill 1894 Winchester?

Calibre is 30-30.

I believe these were an early release commemerative and not sure what the quality was like.

A local dealer rang me today as he has an unfired rifle for sale and wanted to know if I was interested.

26 inch Octagon barrel I believe.

I have been trying to get an original 1894 rifle in 30WCF for years now without success. This may fill the gap.

If anyone has experience with these rifles could you let me know.

Thanks, Pop.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Question on Buffalo Bill 94 Winchester Rifle

Post by Malamute »

They are fine quality, tho they were made in the time period when stamped carriers were used. Many never had trouble with the stamped carriers, but they are simple to replace with cast/forged/machined carriers. Most that shoot them report excellent accuracy. Some of the commemoratives can be bought new, unfired for similar or less money than comparable standard grade guns of similar vintage are priced. I think many of the commemoratives are excellent guns and values, and about the only way to aquire an affordable exmple of a standard type 26" octagon barreled rifle as a shooter.

Is this a standard grade Buffalo Bill? They had nickel trim, plain, straight grain wood, and a medallion in the butt stock. The first 300 Buffalo Bills were high grade, with gold trim, no medallion, very highly figured wood, checkering, and a mahogany presentation case. I see standard grade Buffalo Bill guns selling for $500-$600 USD NIB. The high grade guns book value is $2650 USD. I've only seen one of the high grades for sale, or even in person.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you go to www.castbullet.com junior has several articles there about "Bill" his favorite shooter. You can also write him and he will answer. He used to post here on this board.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IMHO, the best bargain you could get in a 26" 30WCF mdl 94. Every one I've seen has been worthy shooter, accurate and fun. A local candy store teased me w/a call about the 20" short rifle version... and sold it before I got there!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks for the replies.

Looked at it today and bought it.

NIB 26" Octagon barrel. It is not the high grade but looked ok to me.

Will take 2 or 3 weeks for paperwork to come through and I can get my grubby hands on it.

Pop.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have the Canadian Cent. rifle with all the same features and of about the same vintage. It is a very accurate rifle and much fun with cast bullets.
Enjoy!! :D
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Pop,

The Buffalo Bill Commemorative rifle was manufactured in 1968. There were 112923 of them made and they were available in either the octagon sporting rifle version like yours or a 20" barreled carbine. There are typically lots of Winchester commemorative rifles for sale on Gunbroker but not much bid activity. The catch with commemorative rifles is that they do trade at a "premium" price for post 64 rifles as long as they are NIB and unfired. Once you start shooting it the value will drop by 50% as it becomes just another post 64 Model 94.

Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Pop Watts wrote:Any of you fine people out there shoot a Buffalo Bill 1894 Winchester?

Calibre is 30-30.

I believe these were an early release commemerative and not sure what the quality was like.

A local dealer rang me today as he has an unfired rifle for sale and wanted to know if I was interested.

26 inch Octagon barrel I believe.

I have been trying to get an original 1894 rifle in 30WCF for years now without success. This may fill the gap.

If anyone has experience with these rifles could you let me know.

Thanks, Pop.
As luck would have it - I'm your man - I bought this one new in 1968 - the year of manufacture - these rifles - both octagonal barreled - one with 20" barrel and the other 26" barrel with consecutive serial numbers were offered for sale in pairs.

My friend gun dealer had sold the one with the 20" barrel and apparently, that customer didn't want the one with the 26" barrel - my good luck.

With the Williams FP94/36 aperture rear sight - caused agony for my gunsmith who mounted it for what it did to the "collector value" - my guns are shooters for me to enjoy.

and, the taller front sight needed -

I don't see how you can go wrong there - it's a superb rifle - I shoot mine at least every six weeks or so - have to stop frequently for other shooters to admire it, though (don't you hate that?). Accuracy is superb - much like my Winchester 95 in 30-06.

One other thing I hesitate to mention for the agony it can sometimes cause - my guess is that my gun dealer friend made all his profit on the 20" barreled one and had concern he might have trouble selling the one with the 26" barrel - he charged me $90.00 for it - that's not a misprint - $90.00 - he sold me a Browning BL22 rimfire lever rifle the same day for $100.00.

Get it as soon as you can!!!
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Did I waste my time posting the info that was requested ???
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I bought one for my youngest son Cody, when he was a toddler, he's 23 and in USAF pilot training now. It's a 20 inch barrel carbine, and had been shot and hunted with before it came to the pawn shop where I bought it, I paid a whopping $125 for it.

It's a fantastic shooter, he took his first deer with it and it would take a LOT of money to get him to part with it.