CA Ab962 clarification

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

CA Ab962 clarification

Post by El Chivo »

One of the things that would affect a lot of us is the upcoming law AB962, which requires a face-to-face transaction for handgun ammunition.

There are several sections, some of which prohibit persons who can't own a gun from possessing ammunition. These sections state that 'ammunition' is defined as loaded ammunition, or bullets, or projectiles, or even magazines:

2) For purposes of this subdivision, "ammunition" shall include, but not be limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. "Ammunition" does not include blanks.

Too bad for those of us who get bullets from the internet! So I thought. But I read over the last section, the one that requires the face-to-face transactions. That section defines ammunition differently, it refers to an exisiting section of the code that says:

As used in this chapter, the following definitions shall apply:

(a) "Handgun ammunition" means ammunition principally for use in pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person, as defined in subdivision (a) of Section 12001, notwithstanding that the ammunition may also be used in some rifles.
(b) "Handgun ammunition designed primarily to penetrate metal or armor" means any ammunition, except a shotgun shell or ammunition primarily designed for use in rifles, that is designed primarily to penetrate a body vest or body shield, and has either of the following characteristics:
(1) Has projectile or projectile core constructed entirely, excluding the presence of traces of other substances, from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium, or any equivalent material of similar density or hardness.
(2) Is primarily manufactured or designed, by virtue of its shape, cross-sectional density, or any coating applied thereto, including, but not limited to, ammunition commonly known as "KTW ammunition," to breach or penetrate a body vest or body shield when fired from a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(c) "Body vest or shield" means any bullet-resistant material intended to provide ballistic and trauma protection for the wearer or holder.
(d) "Rifle" shall have the same meaning as defined in paragraph (20) of subdivision (c) of Section 12020.

So, it looks like we are off the hook for bullets - we should be able to get them as long as vendors are willing to sell to Californians.

If you would like to read the bill yourself, here's a link:

http://www.ab962.org/ReadAB962.aspx
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: CA Ab962 clarification

Post by Pete44ru »

Just ANOTHER excellent reason I'm glad I didn't take an offer of employment in Kali, back in the 60's...................................

All you gunnies out there have my deepest condolences. :cry:

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

After moving there in 1956 as a kid, I finally 'escaped' in 1980 myself. It was a really nice place to grow up back then. I'd take my 22s on my bike into the Coastal Range around Santa Cruz, plink to my heart's content, and small game hunt all afternoon. As a teen, I worked as an 'outlaw' in Frontier Village and rode a motorcycle, dressed in my all black costume, with a sixgun and holster slung over my shoulder to work without any issues.

(I did get stopped once by a CHP who only asked if it were unloaded. I told him yes, and that I was on my way to work so he asked how I liked my summer job a Frontier Village and then I continued to work.)

Things sure have changed. I sneak back every year or two to visit the relatives still 'captive' there but have no desire to stay long. To bad though, it is a beautiful state with a great history, however, the political bias has been anti-business for 35+ years and the liberal slant is a bit too left for my tastes. Good luck to all of you who still live there.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

One word for us at the southern end of the state. Arizona.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thanks El Chivo! :D

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Wrangler John
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wrangler John »

That entire part of the law that requires face to face sales is in violation of federal law, essentially prohibiting intestate delivery. It will wind up in federal court as soon as it becomes effective. Read here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=230676

There is also another suit filed on different grounds here: www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=318092

With the ruling in McDonald now in, the state is going to have to have a bit of explaining to do to justify interfering with legitimate shipments and purchases of a federally unregulated product necessary to the exercise of a "fundamental right" to keep and bear arms for self defense.

For now though, all reloading components are exempt from the law.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

John, thanks for providing that info. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel