Throwing hawks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Throwing hawks

Post by Gobblerforge »

Out side my shop I have a tomahawk target that I built a while ago. There is always a hawk stuck in it so that I can, at a moments notice, throw a few. Last May a friend of mine, Jim, was at my hammer-in and did a quick demo on making a small hawk. Well it made it to the target so now I pick up both and throw one after the other. I started getting the feel for throwing two different size hawks and after a while started hitting the first with the second on some throws. This let me know my grouping was good. Yesterday I picked them up and after about the first half dozen throws this happened. The small hawk never made it to the target.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Re: Throwing hawks

Post by firefuzz »

Cool. That's a skill I've long wished to develope.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice job!
NRA Life Member
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Neat trick!

now if you can get good enough to do that on purpose, we might get you on "America's Got Talent" next year. :D
Throwing knives, hawks ans spears can be fun, entertaining and good hand-eye training. But truth is, I've never much cottoned to the idea of throwing a weapon to an enemy, even if it approaches sharp end foremost.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

That is awesome. I have been trying to come up with an idea of bracing a throwing log to make a target in my back yard. Love your set up there. I have been playing with a hawk and a throwing knife for a couple of months now. Thanks for the post.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Simplyrugged
Levergunner

Post by Simplyrugged »

You have "split the arrow"! Very good. I enjoy throwing hawks, have a small pile around the shop , Looks like I need to build a target.
These are the good old Days

Simplyrugged.com
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Well I be hanged... he done Robin Hoodded a hawk :shock: .
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Worthy of some photos! :mrgreen:

Now, go out and kill a ground squirrel with one. It only took me 6 weeks of lunches and about 2000 throws...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

You ever play "handles"..? Bunch of guys line up, first guy throws and everyone else throws at his hawk handle. The trick is to learn to throw the hawk backwards and when it lands, the handle falls out and lays on the ground where nobody can hit it. Fun if you can do it...
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That is good throwing, and also looks like a fun way to spend a few minutes whenever time permits during the day.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Having spent time at various local rendezvous for over 30 years, I have seen a 'hawk handle or two stuck by subsequent knife or 'hawk throws, but never one like that! Definitely worth a picture and thanks for sharing.

I don't practice tomahawk & knife throwing much anymore, but when I did do a lot of practice, I had two sets of blocks set up so that I could throw at one block, go retrieve my 'hawk and knife, and turn around and throw back to the other block. This effectively reduced my time spent retrieving and increased my time spent throwing. Yep, I am lazy! :lol:

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

8) 8) 8)