OT I shot a 460 wby today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

OT I shot a 460 wby today

Post by brno602 »

I did it I finally shot the big one lol.
Went shooting this morn before it got too hot. I pulled up to the ranch at the same time as a other shooter did, we know each other as we bow and musket hunt on that ranch. Both of us thinking the same thing get out early site some new loads in.That's when he pulled out the big gun a 460 WBY that is his dads gun he used in the late 70's on a African hunt has not been fired since?
I wanted to see it shoot he fired it three times and said that's enough want to try it? I was sure not being recoil shy well I loaded the big 500fmj factory loads that looked 35 years old still had the Elaphant on the box,into the gun. First shot I killed a Clay trap bird target at 100yds second I missed third I missed. That rifle scared the h*** out of me I was shooting bad with my other guns too as I developed a flinch so did he lol. My Rifle for the day was my little 375H&H and his was the light kicking .338 win plus some little guns we had with us you know stuff like 06 and .280.
All I know I met my match I really could not take the recoil of that beast.
p.s the gun was light too about the same wieght as my .375!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT I shot a 460 wby today

Post by 2X22 »

Wow! I have to admire your intestinal fortitude in shooting it 3 times :shock:

I can handle up to the 375 H&H which I find to be a wonderful round, recoil not bothersome at all. BUT, I found that MY limit is the 458 win mag. I had one for a few years in a M70 and just couldn't handle full power loads.

I did swap it straight across for an original '86 in 45-70 made in 1891, however........ :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well, some experience. Largest I have shot is a few 458s. Good for you, now you know. 338s and 375s are fun.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Old Savage wrote:Well, some experience. Largest I have shot is a few 458s. Good for you, now you know. 338s and 375s are fun.
Ya they are okay to shoot I have to admit I have shot 50 rds of full power 2600 fps 300gr bullets at gophers :lol: If a gopher get's a hold of you things could get ugly fast. The largest I had shot up to this point was a .416 Rem and thought it only had a we bit more kick than my .375. but that 460 really hurt to shoot.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

2X22 wrote:Wow! I have to admire your intestinal fortitude in shooting it 3 times :shock:

I can handle up to the 375 H&H which I find to be a wonderful round, recoil not bothersome at all. BUT, I found that MY limit is the 458 win mag. I had one for a few years in a M70 and just couldn't handle full power loads.

I did swap it straight across for an original '86 in 45-70 made in 1891, however........ :mrgreen:

2x22
you guy's down south always find the nice 86 wins!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:shock: Good on ya, but I'm not sure I would want to shoot that beast in a light rifle. Maxed out 45-70s in my Guide Gun are not even much fun anymore....I guess I've turned into a Recoil Wuss :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Timothy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Timothy »

Well heck, now I want 460! Who's up for a group buy? :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Gotta use enough gun on critters like that.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Savage wrote:Gotta use enough gun on critters like that.

".......Tho I walk thru the valley of the Shadow of Death I shall fear no evil....... :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Old Savage wrote:Gotta use enough gun on critters like that.

Thats my gopher gun Marlin 39!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Yep, when you take that .460 out lookin fer gophers you better aim between the eyes, I hear they charge when they're wounded.

I think after I nail the first clay I'd have just handed the rifle back and said yep, pretty nice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Timothy wrote:Well heck, now I want 460! Who's up for a group buy? :D
Not this lover, been there done that. Had one back in the 70's I bought off my company first shirt when I was in the Army. It was one of the original one's made on a magnum Mauser action before Roy made his own and NO MUZZLE BRAKE!!! Killed on one end and crippled on the other. Bloodied my nose the first time I ever shot it! My cuz shot it twice pretty quick one afternoon and walked around kinda dazed the rest of the day. I understand the new one's with the brake are a little tamer. Wish I had it back, not to shoot tho, I understand the originals are worth a mint now.

2X22, you commented about the .458, had a couple of those too. From my experience it's like shooting a 12ga bird load compared to a slug. No more for me.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

firefuzz wrote:2X22, you commented about the .458, had a couple of those too. From my experience it's like shooting a 12ga bird load compared to a slug. No more for me.
Yep. Don't know if I got older or smarter. The two aren't mutually inclusive for me..... :oops: :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BlaineG wrote::shock: Good on ya, but I'm not sure I would want to shoot that beast in a light rifle. Maxed out 45-70s in my Guide Gun are not even much fun anymore....I guess I've turned into a Recoil Wuss :oops:
Blaine,

In my experience, a 405 grain cast bullet at 2050 fps in a 6.75 pound rifle will make a brass billy goat into a "recoil wuss!!"
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

All I can say is good on ya! I've got one that I bought off of a friend who was floundering in need and it's never been shot thank you!

My neck and spine have been wonky since my days in the 82nd so recoil just isn't my friend at all. Noooo thank you sir.

Cheers,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

brno602
Friend of mine has a great Weatherby collection and also two 460 Weatherby Magnum MK 5 rifles. He said it ain't that bad with factory 500grs. Soft Point ammo. But I think the 460 Weatherby Magnum is a real hammer both ways. A 1/2" steel plate is piece of cake for the 500grs. factory soft point bullet at 50 yards!
My Winchester 70 Super Express 458 Winchester Magnum did not even penetrate the same steel plate with Winchester 500grs. fmj ammo.

Two weeks ago he did some 200yrds silhouette (size IPSC target) shooting with the 460 Weatherby Magnum. Same Weatherby factory ammo and he made some nice hits.
He said that the 378 Weathery Magnum MK 5 with scope without muzzle brake and factory ammo is a real handful. :shock: And the 416 Weatherby Magnum nothing to shoot the whole day. :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Doc Hudson wrote:
BlaineG wrote::shock: Good on ya, but I'm not sure I would want to shoot that beast in a light rifle. Maxed out 45-70s in my Guide Gun are not even much fun anymore....I guess I've turned into a Recoil Wuss :oops:
Blaine,

In my experience, a 405 grain cast bullet at 2050 fps in a 6.75 pound rifle will make a brass billy goat into a "recoil wuss!!"
That was the load :lol: 51gr of H4198, IIRC. 43Gr for 1650 is just fine and dandy these days. I do have 100 of the old Nosler Partition 300s that I'd like to work up to around 1900 for hunting elk or a bear if I ever get around to it.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Ravenman wrote:brno602
Friend of mine has a great Weatherby collection and also two 460 Weatherby Magnum MK 5 rifles. He said it ain't that bad with factory 500grs. Soft Point ammo. But I think the 460 Weatherby Magnum is a real hammer both ways. A 1/2" steel plate is piece of cake for the 500grs. factory soft point bullet at 50 yards!
My Winchester 70 Super Express 458 Winchester Magnum did not even penetrate the same steel plate with Winchester 500grs. fmj ammo.

Two weeks ago he did some 200yrds silhouette (size IPSC target) shooting with the 460 Weatherby Magnum. Same Weatherby factory ammo and he made some nice hits.
He said that the 378 Weathery Magnum MK 5 with scope without muzzle brake and factory ammo is a real handful. :shock: And the 416 Weatherby Magnum nothing to shoot the whole day. :D
We talked about loading it down say a 400gr at 2200fps should be nice to shoot. The rifle had a scope a old 4x Zeiss on it and it just kissed me on the first shot I am sure if it was open sights it would be less scary? I would be even more afraid of the big gun if it had a brake on it I shot a 45/70 Marlin with the factory brake and it was very very loud! I also own a 6.5x55 with a brake and I really hate to shot it without ear plugs I bought it for the Wife but the 6.5 does not kick hard so will cut off the barrel and recrown it.
P.S at least that gun does not have the big ugly white diamond inlay's Weatherby used to use on some of the custom guns they made lol.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Ravenman wrote:brno602

Lord, that is a sexy rifle . I have had a .300 Weatherby for a number of years and am a big fan of roy's work and concepts, --- the .300 is enough for me though :lol:
Was contemplating rounding out my WBY collection a little with a .257, but going up too much above the .300 takes an insanely strong shoulder :D
----- Doug
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Streetstar wrote:
Was contemplating rounding out my WBY collection a little with a .257, but going up too much above the .300 takes an insanely strong shoulder :D
In the FWIW Department, the .257 WBY mag is the only Weatherby cartridge that piques my interest. That is one flat shooting, hard-hitting little number.

For the rest, IMO they use way too much powder, the cartridges are to long, and I don't much like Weatherby stocks. I won't even get into the added recoil for the calibers.

Unless I just go nuts and buy a .257, I'll stick to standard cartridges and leave the Weatherbys to folks who like them.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

brno602 wrote:I did it I finally shot the big one lol.
Went shooting this morn before it got too hot. I pulled up to the ranch at the same time as a other shooter did, we know each other as we bow and musket hunt on that ranch. Both of us thinking the same thing get out early site some new loads in.That's when he pulled out the big gun a 460 WBY that is his dads gun he used in the late 70's on a African hunt has not been fired since?
I wanted to see it shoot he fired it three times and said that's enough want to try it? I was sure not being recoil shy well I loaded the big 500fmj factory loads that looked 35 years old still had the Elaphant on the box,into the gun. First shot I killed a Clay trap bird target at 100yds second I missed third I missed. That rifle scared the h*** out of me I was shooting bad with my other guns too as I developed a flinch so did he lol. My Rifle for the day was my little 375H&H and his was the light kicking .338 win plus some little guns we had with us you know stuff like 06 and .280.
All I know I met my match I really could not take the recoil of that beast.
p.s the gun was light too about the same wieght as my .375!
Don't worry, it could have been lots worse.

Just this morning, I was reading Death in the Long Grass. Capstick told the story of how one of his client swatted a Cape Bufffalo with a .460 Weatherby and had to shoot it 9 more times before hitting the spine and finally putting the beast down.

Capstick spoke of watching the man's hair flying with each shot and that by the time the first magazine was empty, the shooter had a bloody nose. Before y'all start turning up your noses at the man's marksmanship, Capstick said thatnine of the ten shots had all been in the chest area, whichwas as he put it "totally devastated." But until the tenth shot hit the spine the buff was still on hi feet and headed for the long grass. Captick found it incredible that the buffalo had absorbed over 60,000 foot-pounds of energy ans still on it's feet.

Ain't you glad you could quit after 3 shots?

Image Image
UNITE!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I was at Borders yesterday -- usually the collection of firearms related books at these places makes me chuckle, but they had several of Capstick's books,

I am sitting at my desk now shaking my head at tough those big Buffalo's must be ---- 8 rounds in the chest with a .460 . Almost makes you feel bad about putting down such a magnificent animal

I will now have to pick up those books, thanks Doc :D
----- Doug
Crazy Horse
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Crazy Horse »

I love Weatherby MK V's. I have been deer hunting with a MK V 270 Wby Mag for the last two years. Dropped an 8 point and a 10 point in their tracks. I love it!