Internet problems resurface - can't stay logged in...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Internet problems resurface - can't stay logged in...

Post by AJMD429 »

For awhile it was fine, so I didn't do anything other than learn to copy before hitting "Submit", and re-log-on and re-submit quickly if needed.

Now it's gradually gotten bad again (no software or hardware changes I'm aware of), and is intermittent, to the point that sometimes I'll stay logged on for half an hour, but other times it takes ten or more "re-submits" to get a simple post done.

When I called our ISP (Blue Sky Satellite), they said it had to be a "website" issue, despite the fact that it NEVER happens on the two non-Blue-Sky-Satellite systems I log on with, and despite the fact that the same Blue Sky Satellite system also seems to be the only one that won't let me remain logged on to Ammoguide or my Yahoo Mail between sessions.

They say it could also be the computer or the operating system, but it happens on our Windows XP, and Windows 7, computers, laptop and desktop, wireless and Ethernet - all of them - at home, and nowhere else.

They say it could be anti-viral software or firewall settings, yet the computers use different anti-viral programs, and it happens even when I set them to 'minimum' security (I haven't tried with them totally off - last time I tried that little experiment accidentally I got a nice dose of virus).

So............I remember some folks here had some suggestions and ideas, and I'll try to search the forum this weekend (even 'search' is harder if you can't stay logged on), but is there perhaps a phpBB (our forum software) person to ask this of (since the website IS part of it, and perhaps the forum software guys know something I could ask or tell the Blue Sky tech people to help them help me), or maybe one of you guys knows what I could do next.

It's getting to where only at work can I use the forum. (Maybe I'll get electronic charting, so I could appear to be typing in the electronic medical record while I'm not paying attention to the patient, but really be on Leverguns... :? :wink: )

It is interesting that the top line that says "Log ON" or "Log OFF", the bottom corner that says what I'm "allowed" or "Not allowed" to do, and the prompts for "edit" "quote" and so on don't always agree - as if in mid-page-load I was logged off. Since I can only log-on, paste, and hit 'submit' so fast (maybe ten seconds), I've tried other tricks for speed, such as opening a separate window to start the 'log on' process and while it's cooking, do my paste and submit on the other window. In other words, I sometimes just open an extra "Log ON" page and enter my info, then immediately upon hitting the Enter key, I switch to the other page, and quickly hit "reply" so I can get a 'compose message' screen while logged on. THEN I type the message, and try to submit it (rarely it will go), but remembering to 'COPY' it before the attempt. When I get the 'you must be logged in' page and prompts, I log in so I can get back to the 'compose' screen again. I paste the message back there again, but before trying to 'submit' it, I go back to the other window/page I have open, and go through the 'log on' process there. Just after hitting 'Enter' on THAT page, I switch to the 'compose' page, and hit 'submit' during or after the brief pause in which the other 'log on' page will be displaying the 'you are now logged on' message prior to going to a normal forum page. If I don't time it just right, I'm already logged out and the message won't post.

Thanks for any help or ideas! (remember my 'computer IQ' is probably in the single digits). I'm leaving work now (8:30 PM on a Friday - yuck) so any replies or further questions I may want to post may be sparse unless I'm lucky and can stay logged on a bit sometime during the weekend.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Internet problems resurface - can't stay logged in...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ha!

Just tried two other things:

a) the Laptop that logs off here every few seconds works fine on another (non-Blue-Sky-satellite) wireless network.

b) the Desktop that logs off here every few seconds works fine on dial-up (although it took several hundred years to load a page... :roll: ) here, although it wasn't using the Ethernet-network but just direct USB-to-externam-modem connection.

It seems like to my non-computer-brain that the problem therefore wouldn't be any setting on those computers, would it...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ooh it worked this time on Blue Sky... :o

AND let me re-edit it? Surely not. I wonder if I re-set something when I plugged in that USB modem? I'll bet the honeymoon won't last.

Oh yeah - I hate computers sometimes... :?

Make that mosttimes...

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I doubt it will help but you could try other browser.

Chrome wil donload prett fast, but my persona prefrence is for Firefox.

FWIW have a friend who uses Wild Blue and tey never admit to anything.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Well, sorry to hear this. Again.

I worked at length with Wind, he has same ISP, WildBlue, and same symptoms. We tried couple different things, Firefox, screwing around with proxy settings, no joy.

There is something in the implementation/configuration of this particular board software that does not like something that WildBlue does. From web research, I have a suspicion that WildBlue may be messing about with how it presents its (your) IP address to the board. The board software sees this and goes, 'phfffft!' and logs you off.

It's a two part problem. I'll bet money you can find some other forums using the same version of the PhpBB software that will work for you. And for a lot of us non-WildBlue users, including moi, we stay logged in for months at a time.

Now to prove this, really hardcore network analysis needs to happen at the location where the board is hosted, so I don't think that's gonna happen.

This is just like a poster I've seen at work. "I don't have a solution but I certainly admire your problem." And I'd offer sympathy, but you know how much that counts for. (sad grin)

Please keep us posted.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I was having similar issuies with Sprint card. It would, without warning, turn itself off. My issue was heat. The USB card would absorb heat from the motherboard and shutdown.

I did two things; wiped the software off the HD, and now use a remote USB hub. Security settings @ medium & cookies allowed.

It really doesn't sound as if your issue is a software or site problem, but a connectivity one. Someone made mention that folks like Blue Sky & HughesNet don't really have the capacity and so they "roll" connections from idle ones to busy ones. When I'm @ the edge of cell zones, Sprint acts much the same... like today, rolling across the Western half of Nebraska... I "<alt>C" my post before I submit it, so if my "call" was dropped, I can paste it back when I get re-connected.

BTW, you boys down south... get ready; all the rivers up here, from the Ohio to the Platte River appear to be running @ near capacity.

Secondly... getting reports of snow on I-80 in WY. This right??? Supposed to be in SLC tomorrow, and ain't got nothin' BUT WY in the way!!!

Sorry 'bout the thread drift... but that was sorta the way my mind drifted! :oops: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Have you done anything with your cookie settings?

I don't allow any cookies other than the ones I absolutely have to to operate in sites I use, and manually allow new ones or occasioanl ones. The logging off sounds like cookie problems I've had in the past. Just a thought.

I dump cookies several times a day, and clean up space on my disc regularly also. Uneeded clutter gets cleaned up.

Thought of something else. With weird problems online, it may be time to change passwords. It's good to do now and then anyway.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I wish for the sake of the guys with WildBlue it was as something simple as dumping cookies. But I'll bet a tall cold one in his particular situation that isn't the 'fix.'

AJMD429 pretty much as says so when he takes the same gear (laptop and desktop) and they work fine on a different network or dial-up modem.

When I was researching this problem for Wind Whitehill, he gave me a list of other forums he was a regular on and did not have the logging off problem. There were a couple that also ran the phpBB software and one appeared to have the same version of the software here.

So we're at an impasse here with WildBlue pointing fingers at Leverguns and Leverguns pointing fingers at WildBlue.

I'm still thinking it's something that WildBlue is doing to minimize bandwidth and they may even be changing IP address numbers in midstream. But I'm sure that unless Wind, AJMD429, et al ponies up and buys a business account with a fixed IP on WildBlue, we'll probably never figure it out.

Were I a bettin' man, this probably would be a quick fix if we just knew the correct one software person to talk to. Or this could be a hardcoded security setting in the phpBB software that can't be changed. I dunno.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

I am on wild blue and it happens to me all the time. There are several boards that do it on my home access with wild blue. When I am at other places, no problem. I have called them but they don't listen. I hate wild blue, but when you are out in the sticks it still beats dialup.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote: Oh yeah - I hate computers sometimes... :?

Make that mosttimes...
+1 :evil:

My laptop has been driving me batty lately. Randomly shutting down explorer, usually when I am in the middle of something. Last week I was traveling and couldn't get to the internet or my e-mails for 3 days! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

AJMD One workaround that you might try is composing youre message in notepad before clicking on the reply/quote/new message button then quickly cutting and pasting the message into the browser. I suspect that they are changing your ip address on you while you are composing the message and that is causing this.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for all the suggestions so far (...keep 'em coming...!"); satellite was 'out' anyway due to foul weather past couple nights, and my home-from-work to bedtime time window has been very narrow as well. Hope to work on it some this weekend.