OT Need help, nasty cat urine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

OT Need help, nasty cat urine

Post by hondo1892 »

Ok I know some of you guys have cats here. We had a cat and it got sick and started urinating all over the house(mostly my man cave). She is gone now but we still have urine stink to remember her. This is my problem the urine soaked through the carpet to the OSB flooring. It has dried into the OSB. I have tried a Bissel product that is supposed to neutralize the urine. I have soaked the flooring and this is not doing the trick. Does anyone have any magic solutions or know of any products that work. I don't have the time now to cut the flooring out and replace it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Need help, nasty cat urine

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I don't know about this, but after you get it fixed, no more cats... get a dog. :P
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hondo,

We have been using a product called Natural Pet Odor Eliminator.
Made by Citrus Magic. It's worked pretty good so far. Just spray it on and let it dry. It's a vegetable enzyme complex according to the label.
www.citrusmagic.com

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Is there any other than NASTY cat urine? I was going to burn down my mother's house but found I could simply throw away all the fabrics and destroyed metal objects. Good luck friend, you should have kept the door closed, the cat out of the house and your gun loaded...

BTW, if anyone cares I will never, even under threat of dismemberment while living, have a cat in my house.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Hobie wrote:Is there any other than NASTY cat urine? I was going to burn down my mother's house but found I could simply throw away all the fabrics and destroyed metal objects. Good luck friend, you should have kept the door closed, the cat out of the house and your gun loaded...

BTW, if anyone cares I will never, even under threat of dismemberment while living, have a cat in my house.
---
+1 Nothing quite as bad as cat leavings, liquid or otherwise. Feral cats in my neighborhood like to use my backyard as a toilet. Awful. I enjoy others' cats occasionally--elsewhere. We had a pair of half-bobcat twins years ago--stayed mostly (and always "went") outdoors and were great.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Do a web search for a product called Odorxit. I helped my neighbor clean the unused converted garage apartment that had a similar cat stench problem form a previous tenant. After tearing out the carpeting and padding, the Odorxit was sprayed on the floors and walls. Then she had the OSB floors, and the bottom 3 feet of the walls sealed with white shellac primer/sealer. Did the trick.
Good luck,
Mark :mrgreen:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

markinalpine wrote:Do a web search for a product called Odorxit. I helped my neighbor clean the unused converted garage apartment that had a similar cat stench problem form a previous tenant. After tearing out the carpeting and padding, the Odorxit was sprayed on the floors and walls. Then she had the OSB floors, and the bottom 3 feet of the walls sealed with white shellac primer/sealer. Did the trick.
Good luck,
Mark :mrgreen:

This is probably as good as you are going to get without tearing out the OSB and putting in new. I fought this many times when I worked in real estate, it is a real PITA. Even if you do replace the flooring, you are still going to have to seal the walls etc VERY WELL, dont scrimp or it will come drifting back. The dang stench permeates the curtains and fabric on the furniture, throw them all out. Scrub heck out of EVERYTHING from the ceilings down. Good luck.
pete-driver
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pete-driver »

If you have a Dive shop in your area they have a product called "sink the stink". They use it to get the odor of urine out of wet suits. I used this in my basement and it worked well.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Common Hydrogen Peroxide has been a help with wiping things off but don't know what the effects would be on obs board ( Cannot imagine it being good ).Have the same problem with the Garage may need to spend some bucks so the wife's little darlings a place to hang out outside.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Iron Cit...Oops, sorry, thought this was World's Worst Beer thread. Seriously we just tiled a bathroom floor and the OSB board had a smell from where it had been wet once but was solid. 90% rubbing alcohol took care of it right now.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Your not going to like this ,but if that cat was actually urinating on it like say on a carpet and (not just sparyed once on a wall)
And you have wood/plywood floors underneath(the ONLY true fix----------rip out the carpet/rip up the plywood decking or floor boarding where any tiny amount of urine that could have soaked in(only takes a small amount of urine to ruin a floor section)If its the wall(sheetrock replacement time)
Even wood sealer over resanded wood"dont work" (tried it)

Dont make the mistake of trying to just replace the carpet with new.If so you will be sitting there on the next hot/humid day and say "did a cat get in here again a pee somewhere. :o

Been there done that!(never another indoor one)
Wife came in next day after total floor/carpet replacement and said to me-----------Honey,where's the cat???
I told her,he had a heart attack!(and is buried)---(Deep)
Couldn't have left him outside because he was declawed and somthing would have killed him being defenseless.
Couldn't give him away to someone even if they could put up with that smell :roll: because he would bite about everyone.
Only liked us.
Good thing he had a heart attack :?:
Wife and Kid every once in a while still say---------Dad,did he really have a heart attack! :wink: {yep}

Just dont want you spending a couple grand on a new carpet and only to find out later it still stinks!
What will happen is the new carpet fibers will absorb some of the cat urine into it so you are back where you started. If there is anything that truely completely rids cat urine I want in on their stock! Haven't seen anything yet.
Also people that have cats become somewhat desensitized and what seems fine to them someone else comes in---------OMG :roll:
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

If we are only talking about an area the size of an average man-cave, just cut out the carpet and the pad. You can now give the OSB a good soak with nuetralizer, then throw down a cheep rug or remnant until you get time for a full restoration.

Or hire a medicine-man/shaman from your local Rez, have him come and do a cleansing ceremony. There is no eviler spirit than cat urine IMO.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Hobie I can't agree more about no cats. The cat is gone and I have told the wife and daughter no more cats in the house. Thanks for all the answers. I will probably have to replace a corner of flooring which will be a pain getting close to the wall with a saw. I wish it was just on the drywall. So far I have only found the stink in the one corner I need to empty and get my nose done on all the floor.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A couple houses ago our tom started spraying in the living room. We had just moved into the house, and didn't realize that the previous owners had had a cat in the past. We didn't have any future yet in the room, so by the time we discovered it, the urine had soaked through to the OSB. I feel for you. We decided not to rip it up, bleached the heck out of the spot several times, then "sealed" it with a gloss oil-based paint. Put down about 6 coats. Between the cleaning and blocking, this did the trick. Needless to say, the carpet and pad were toast...
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Post by twobit »

Little known mathematical formulas:

Cat = Target
House - Cat = Happiness
Square root of Cat = Cat burried near roots = Tree grows well

Enough said,
Michael
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Our house was never as in as bad a shape and smelly as when we had dogs, not to mention all the other dogs attracted to the yard, talk about itchy trigger fingers then, if only I could have gotten away with it.
levers
Levergunner 2.0

Post by levers »

I think Y K hit it on the head. Use a bleach solution to kill the odor. In areas where the bleach will ruin a carpet or fabric, you have to work up from a low concentration. A 5% bleach & water mix should do at least some good....and may completely fix "light areas"......in saturated spots and areas where the bleach won't do cosmetic harm, use a much high concentrate. Repeat as necessary.....until you decide to tear it all out!!

I think the enzyme style cleaners work well on small spot treatments but bleach is the big bore solution for bad spots. Pretty tough problem to solve.

Even a 5% bleach solution can damage some fabrics so you have to be careful and test it in a small hidden spot before turning it lose.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I told her,he had a heart attack!(and is buried)---(Deep)]

[Square root of Cat + Cat burried near roots = Tree grows well]

AHA ! ! TWO more things, to add to the book of "101 Things To Do With A Dead Cat". :mrgreen:

lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Try "NOK OUT" multi-purpose odor eliminator. One of its listed used is for cat urine. It is made by a small company (Amazing Concepts LLC) in Beaverton Michigan, just north of my abode. It works. Deodorizes floors, walls, ceilings, carpets, fabrics, etc.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Pine Sol does a great job. Soak it in full strength.

Your lucky--Last month some cat jumped in my Jeep Wrangler (no doors) and soaked up the drivers seat. In the morning, I was in a hurry to go to work and sat in it. The guys at work started laughing at me. I started to boil.

Got home and powerwashed the inside of the Jeep--(no carpet) using a mess of Pine Sol---seemed to work OK. -------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD