Reloading the 40-72 cartridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Reloading the 40-72 cartridge

Post by KirkD »

A friend of mine picked up an original Winchester 1895 flatside rifle in 40-72. The big question is what to do about reloading dies. Does anyone make them? Any other info on bullets/moulds would be appreciated.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Reloading the 40-72 cartridge

Post by Gun Smith »

C H Die company makes them. About a 100 bucks, if I remember.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

My Redding 405 dies work just fine. There is only .003 difference at the case mouth...other than that and the rim thickness, the cartridges are identical. Snooky's book has original Winchester drawings of both.

Let me know his loads and success with same if you would please. I'm trying to accumulate as much data as I can. My chamber allows .410 bullets...if his bore slugs large and the chamber allows try any 405 built cast bullet.

Quite a score to find a nice flatsides in that caliber...how come you didn't grab it first :?:

Ed
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Kansas Ed wrote: Quite a score to find a nice flatsides in that caliber...how come you didn't grab it first :?:
My pocketbook is too flat, so all I can do is to admire the photo. He got a nice one. I think if I had to choose between a 38-72 and a 40-72, I might go for the 38-72 ..... something to do with liking 38-55's.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
lozen
Levergunner

Post by lozen »

I just got an 1895 1n .40-72 with a tapered octagon barrel and excellent bore. I'm searching for info to get it shooting. It might be hard on a poor boy. RCBS makes dies and Buffalo Arms has them for $164. I haven't slugged the bore yet, but from everything I've read, I was expecting it to slug closer to .406. I've got .405 dies [for .412 dia bullets], but I'm hoping it slugs .406 as I'll have acess to quite a few molds to play with.