OT - Interarms Dragoon .44M (Got it, Pictures added)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

OT - Interarms Dragoon .44M (Got it, Pictures added)

Post by salvo »

Stumbled across Blue Interarms Virginian Dragoon .44 mag. Probably 85% pretty sure it has a 7.5" Barrel.
Never seen one before. Tell me about them and what a good offer to make on one of these?
Last edited by salvo on Thu May 27, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Interarms Dragoon .44M Any Info?

Post by wecsoger »

Interarms imported them in the '70's. Seen 'em, never shot one.

Go to Google and put in "interarms dragoon" and I got over 28.000 hits.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The first ones were imported from Switzerland I believe. Later ones were made by Interarms in Florida.
They are built like a tank, at least the one I had was.

As for price I really don't know. I haven't seen one since I left AZ.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks, I forget about Google :oops:
What happened to yours Joe?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

http://singleactions.com/VADragoons.pdf

Lee Martin really helped me understand the US Arms Abilene's in detail as well...great fella!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

INTERARMS REVOLVERS: SA, VIRGINIAN SERIES
Virginian Revolvers were previously manufactured in Europe by various manufacturers (including Hämmerli of Switzerland).
They were also manufactured in Midland, VA from 1976-1984.
Older models with exceptional quality (including Hämmerli guns) are worth a premium over values listed.

VIRGINIAN DRAGOON STANDARD
- .41 Mag., .44 Mag., or .45 LC (mfg. 1982-84) cal., improved action patterned after Colt SAA design, 6 shot, 6, 7 1/2, 8 3/8, or 12 (Buntline) in. barrel, blue finish, smooth walnut grips, adj. rear sight, 51 oz. with 7 1/2 in. barrel.

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Good info guys.
I found Lee's Wright up after Googling, can't find any thing as far as DOM with the serial #.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I had one, a Virginian Dragoon, in .45 Colt. A big, honking gun imported by interarms, but made in Israel by the folks who make Uzi, and who used to make BFR revolvers.

A very fine lockwork in the colt style but king sized. A really well made gun except mine had very oversized throats. I suspect that was a .45 Colt issue you would not have with .44. There are NO parts for these guns, so factor that into the price.
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

salvo wrote:Thanks, I forget about Google :oops:
What happened to yours Joe?
adirondakjack wrote:I had one, a Virginian Dragoon, in .45 Colt. A big, honking gun imported by interarms, but made in Israel by the folks who make Uzi, and who used to make BFR revolvers.

A very fine lockwork in the colt style but king sized. A really well made gun except mine had very oversized throats. I suspect that was a .45 Colt issue you would not have with .44. There are NO parts for these guns, so factor that into the price.

Scott,

I was wrong, mine was made in VA. I traded it for my Win 94AE Trapper in 86. One of the best trades I've ever done.

What adirondakjack said about the .45 Colt throats is correct. My Dragoons throats were so huge no accuracy was possible, not even with factory loaded ammo. FYI, Winchester factory 255gr lead bullets are hollow based and run .456" diameter. If those wouldn't shoot accurate nothing would. I never slugged the throats I just traded it off. The only way to have made that gun shoot accurately would have been to install a 44 cylinder and rechamber / rethroat it properly.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I bought a like new in the box .44 magnum with 7-1/2" barrel last year for $300.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Interarms Dragoon .44M (Got it, Pictures added)

Post by salvo »

Well I bought the old girl. Thanks for all the help!
I totally misjudged the condition, I’ll have to jump it up from 85% to at least a solid 95%. Gave it a good check out at the gun shop, barrel perfect, cylinder gap .003, timing and barrel/cylinder alignment perfect, cylinder throats all right at .432” Cylinder lock up is tight both ways, I’m talking FA tight. Trigger is crisp and light and the four clicks while cocking is icing on the cake. The sights are actually very good, not sure about the white dot front sight, does not interfere with the great sight picture nun the less. I’ll bet less than a box of shells have been shot through it.
I am impressed with this hog leg to say the least, build and deep blue finish is top notch.
Hate the pachmayr grips though, which brings me to my first question, who makes grips for these, any Ruger grips swap over?
Why are there two little dimples toward the rear of the cylinder?
Serial #431XX any idea of it’s age?

Now for the best part, the gunshop had it tagged for $295.00, they know me pretty well their and after very little haggling they sold it to me for 275.00 out the door, tax, background check and a Uncle Mikes sidekick holster all included. Can’t wait to give you all a range report!

On with the pictures.

ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Olevern
Levergunner

Post by Olevern »

Nice looking handgun, look forward to hearing about how it performs.
Olevern
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

Nice pistola. The two dimples on the cylinder are for dummies who can't remember: "Load one, skip one, load four, pull the hammer back to full cock and lower it on the empty chamber."
One dimple on either side of the top strap with that chamber empty. Duhhhh, I just ignored them.

I have no idea other than Numrich where to look for grips.

One more thing: Don't dry fire it. Of all the guns I've owned that I dry fired the only one that ever broke the firing pin was my Dragoon.

Joe
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks Joe, I have not dry fired, going to put some fired rounds in and see what the trigger trips at as soon as I finish cleaning it and get it back together.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Looks great Scott.....congrats on that pistol. :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Fine looking hog leg!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks, I'm going to keep an eye out for others. To bad the
45's have cylinder throat problems. Feel like I'm missing out on something not having a 45 Colt.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

I found some wood grips for the Dragoon at Eagle Grips:
( http://www.eaglegrips.com/ )
Don't know anything about them, but if they look as nice as those in the picture I'd like 'em.

Joe
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nice! Looks like quite a find. I used to see those from time to time at CAS matches. The owners seemed happy with them.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I can heartily recommend doing business with Eagle Grips, as I've bought several different sets of grips from them in the past (mostly for S&W N-frames) and have always been more than satified with their products, pricing, and service.

They're good people to do business with.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I double posted this thread over at Single-Actions also. Boge Quinn posted some pictures of his Dragoon with Eagle black buffalo horn grips, NICE!
Lots of other pictures of the members Virginian Dragoons also. If your interested in these, might be worth the look?

http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... hread=3885
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

So, have you decided what type of grips you're going to put on it?

Since it's blued I'd for ivory micarta or American holly.

I saw the thread over on Single Actions earlier today. I'm still slobbering over Boge's grips.

Joe
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe I'm not sure yet. The Buffalo horn is reasonably priced, might not look as good on a blue gun?
I still have a good piece of the hardwood that I made the scales out of for my machete project, might give grips a try!
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

salvo wrote:Joe I'm not sure yet. The Buffalo horn is reasonably priced, might not look as good on a blue gun?
I still have a good piece of the hardwood that I made the scales out of for my machete project, might give grips a try!
"Generally" I prefer light colored grips on blued guns, and darker grips on nickle or stainless guns. Those grips Boge has would work great on anything, so would walnut. I'm just partial to American holly. Here's an idea of what a blue 7.5" SA looks like with aged (yellowed) American holly:
CLC yellowed AM Holley grips web a.JPG
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

We think alike Joe, those Holly grips look great. I also very much like ivory micarta, but have never sprung for them :wink:
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan