OT? - So is your flag flying this JMB birthday?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.

Are you flying your flag today?

yes, for MLK only
11%
Yes, for JMB only
43%
Yes, for both
25%
No, I don't own a flag yet.
21%

Total votes: 28
Idahoser

OT? - So is your flag flying this JMB birthday?

Post by Idahoser »

:D
Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Yep - sure is !!!

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Is that flag waving or is it frozen like that :shock: :D . Brrrrr that looks cold!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I feel bad now,I didn't realize John Moses Browning's B-day was today. Here in Arkansas we celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday today too. :D

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iJuo ... QD8UACJ5O0[/url]
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

handirifle wrote:Is that flag waving or is it frozen like that :shock: :D . Brrrrr that looks cold!
It is COLD but the flags are not frozen. My dogs seem to love it !! :wink:

I'm not so fond of it personally !

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

My flag flies 365 days a year :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Ours has been up since September 11th, 2001, rain or shine. Kinda wet now since it's raining and cold. Cold is anything below 50ºF. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

My flag is up 24-7. Yes, it's lit up at night.

Happy Robert E. Lee's birthday to all!! :wink:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

24-7 Flag....... Shoot me, but I hold the Nation higher than any one man, so in order to not slight anyone, I keep 'er up all the time 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Yes in my part of Arkansaw it is Robert E. Lee's birthday too. I have been flying a flag 365 days a year since my son joined the Marine Corp when he graduated from high school in 1985.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

SmokeEater2 wrote:I feel bad now,I didn't realize John Moses Browning's B-day was today. Here in Arkansas we celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday today too. :D
That is why I'm off today! :D
Where are you at SmokeEater, West, Central or Eastern Northern Arkansas?
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I don't like to play favorites. I am a died in the wool flag waver. My flag flies 24/7-365 for the good old USA. Long my she proudly wave.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Boreman wrote:I don't like to play favorites. I am a died in the wool flag waver. My flag flies 24/7-365 for the good old USA. Long my she proudly wave.
Yep - I do too.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I fly my flag 365 and I bring it in at night. Except now....froze to the gutter....winter...what can I say.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

24-7 on the flag (with light) BTW, who is MLK?
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

mklwhite wrote:
SmokeEater2 wrote:I feel bad now,I didn't realize John Moses Browning's B-day was today. Here in Arkansas we celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday today too. :D

I'm in the North Central part. Mountain Home,And you?
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Sixgun wrote:24-7 on the flag (with light) BTW, who is MLK?
Good question.

When I was still practicing surgery, we had an anesthesiologist who would delight in regularly bringing in the newspapers with the big headlines "DR KING BACK IN JAIL" back in the days he was so active in his protests.

She always thought it was funny and - so did I.

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

SmokeEater2 wrote:
mklwhite wrote:
I'm in the North Central part. Mountain Home,And you?
I'm in (well just north of) Harrison. Heck, we're neighbors! :D
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I'm in (well just north of) Harrison. Heck, we're neighbors! :D[/quote]

Small world I guess. I used to be in the Army Reserve Unit in Harrison.
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

365 days a year here, too.

Rain or Shine, night or day -lit at night.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For the whole effect, go to http://www.frfrogspad.com/jmb.htm, but here is the best part.

The Gospel According To John (Moses Browning)

As translated from the original ancient manuscripts by Fr. Frog.
© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

1 In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."

2 "And shouldst thou muck with it, and hang all manner of foul implements upon it, and profane its internal parts, thou shalt surely have malfunctions, and in the midst of battle thou shalt surely come to harm."

3 And as the ages passed men in their ignorance and arrogance didst forget the word of the Lord and began to profane the 1911. The tribe of the gamesman did place recoil spring guides and extended slide releases upon the 1911 and their metal smiths didst tighten the tolerances and alter parts to their liking, their clearness of mind being clouded by lust.

4 Their artisans did hang all manner of foul implements upon the 1911 and did so alter it that it became impractical to purchase. For lo, the artisans didst charge a great tax upon the purchasers of the 1911 so that the lowly field worker could not afford one. And the profaning of the internal parts didst render it unworkable when the dust of the land fell upon it.

5 And lo, they didst install adjustable sights, which are an abomination unto the Lord. For they doth break and lose their zero when thou dost need true aim. And those who have done so will be slain in great numbers by their enemies in the great battle. a

6 And it came to pass that the Lord didst see the abomination wrought by man and didst cause, as he had warned, fearful malfunctions to come upon the abominations and upon the artisans who thought they could do no wrong.

7 Seeing the malfunctions and the confusion of men, the lord of the underworld did see an opportunity to further ensnare man and didst bring forth pistols made of plastic, whose form was such that they looked and felt like a brick, yet the eyes of man being clouded, they were consumed by the plastic pistol and did buy vast quantities of them.

8 And being a deceitful spirit the lord of the underworld did make these plastic pistols unamenable to the artisans of earth and they were unable to muck much with the design, and lo these pistols did appear to function.

9 And the evil one also brought forth pistols in which the trigger didst both cock and fire them and which require a "dingus" to make them appear safe.

10 But man being stupid did not understand these new pistols and didst proceed to shoot themselves with the plastic pistol and with the trigger cocking pistols for lo their manual of arms required great intelligence which man had long since forsaken. Yet man continue to gloat over these new pistols blaming evil forces for the negligent discharges which they themselves had committed.

11 And when man had been totally ensnared with the plastic pistol, the lord of the underworld didst cause a plague of the terrible Ka-Boom to descend upon man and the plastic pistols delivered their retribution upon men. And there was a great wailing and gnashing of teeth in the land.

12 Then seeing that the eyes of man were slowly being opened and that man was truly sorrowful for his sinful misdeeds, the Lord did send his messengers in the form of artisans who did hear and obey the teachings of the prophet and who didst restore the profaned 1911s to their proper configuration, and lo, to the amazement of men they didst begin to work as the prophet had intended.

13 And the men of the land didst drive out the charlatans and profaners from the land, and there was joy and peace in the land, except for the evil sprits which tried occasionally to prey on the men and women of the land and who were sent to the place of eternal damnation b by the followers of John.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a Several old manuscripts add the following text. "And they [also rendered as "these men"] didst chamber it for cartridges who's calibers startith with numbers less than the Holy Number 4. And lo the Lord did cause great grief amongst these men when their enemies who were struck in battle with these lesser numbers didst not fall but did continue to cause great harm."

b or Hell

For the faithful, the "feast day" of St. John Moses Browning is January 23.

© copyright 2002 by John C. Schaefer

John Moses Browning was perhaps the finest firearms designer, ever. His designs continue to work and to serve almost 100 years after they were created. There is an ongoing controversy about the reliability and safety of current 1911s vs. other "modern" pistols and I think this about sums the situation up.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Here in Arkansas we celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday today too.
First of all, I was born in west Texas, and I lived for 3 1/2 years in Little Rock, AR.

Now, I want to know just what it is that people celebrate when they celebrate the birthday of a man who led an armed rebellion against the United States of America? What's next? Arkansas will be celebrating Timothy McVeigh's birthday? How about Osama Bin Laden's birthday? What's the functional difference between what Robert E. Lee did and what Timothy McVeigh did? Oh, I know, Robert E. Lee was fighting for a "cause"... Robert E. Lee was fighting for what he saw as the defense of his homeland against the "government"... Yeah, so was Timothy McVeigh. And, you better beleive that Osama Bin Laden believes in his "cause," too. What is it that makes people think that this country should have been forcibly torn apart, and just why do those people enjoy the celebration of a man who tried to break our nation apart? This is ONE nation, under GOD. We should never have had to endure such a painful and pointless assault on the NATION that 25,000 brave patriots died during the Revolutionary War to see built. Those who led the armed rebellion were trying to destroy our nation. They are not heroes. They are treasonous criminals. Every one of MY heroes loved this nation with every last fiber in their hearts. Men like General Andrew Jackson, born in South Carolina, raised in Tennessee, served his state and our Nation with bravery and distinction. As President, he sent Federal troops to his native South Carolina to suppress the nullification crisis. He is my hero. During the Revolutionary War, he was imprisoned by the British as a young teenager for supporting the Continental Army. He refused an order of a British officer to shine the officer’s shoes, and Andrew Jackson carried the scar from the blow by the officer’s saber on his forehead for the rest of his life. And, it was a life dedicated to defending the United States of America. His brother Robert Jackson died of smallpox while the boys were being held in that prison. Those boys LOVED this country. The idea of bringing armed rebellion against the United States would have been unthinkable to Andrew Jackson. HE is my hero. Another hero of mine is General Sam Houston. Raised in Tennessee and then moved to the Texas territory. He bravely fought for and won the independence of my native state of Texas from Mexico. So many times that war was almost lost. So many times he bravely led his men back to the road to victory. And later when, by the grace of God, Texas joined the United States of America, it was Sam Houston who served multiple terms as Governor of the State of Texas. He was a living hero to the people of Texas and he will forever be one my heroes. When the people of Texas mistakenly were led into the morally bankrupt swamp of secession, the great warrior Sam Houston was recruited by the rebellious forces, but he would not fight for them. He would not bring up arms against the nation that he LOVED with all his heart. He refused to his dying day to recognize Texas’s secession. The actions of the ungrateful in Texas broke his heart and that is a documented fact. He never was the same again. He is my hero. Another hero is General Douglas MacArthur, born in Little Rock, AR. His mother's family was part of Virginia high society, but they were Americans first and forever. His father, another of my heroes, won a Congressional Medal of Honor leading the men in his unit to victory over the rebellious criminals at the Battle of Missionary Ridge. Douglas MacArthur and his father, they are my heroes.

Robert E. Lee is just a criminal murderous thug who perpetrated armed rebellion against the people of the United States. No, there is nothing to celebrate in Robert E. Lee’s honor because any man who raises a sword against the United States has no honor and deserves nothing but the pain and sorrow and the wholesale destruction that his imprudent acts of selfishness brought to the peoples and the lands throughout the rebellious states. It took the South over 100 years to even modestly recover from that war that Robert E. Lee fought, and I can tell you from living there that the south has not even come close to getting over it yet. Is that sadness, that destruction, that pain something that people really think ought to be celebrated??? I love the United States of America, and I am grateful that God shed His grace on us and He continues to watch over us and protect us as He did when Robert E. Lee brought the sword against us nearly 150 years ago.
Last edited by ursavus.elemensis on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

flag flying

Post by joachim slim »

i dont celebrate MLK. i would celebrate Bobby Kennedy day.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:My flag flies 365 days a year :D
+1 - and has for the last 20 years! :D
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Smokeater2/mklwhite I know your area well. My dad was born in Gassville (right between you two) and lived in Mt. Home for many years. Still have a lot of family down there but haven't been out for more than a dozen years.

As for the flag, no, I didn't fly mine this weekend. Didn't see what the big thing was with MLK and forgot all about JMB. I tend to keep the flag for important dates since I often forget to bring it in at night. I should just find a way to illuminate it and not worry, I guess.
Well done is better than well said.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

ursavus.elemensis ~

I must admit I am sure you are making such statements to inflame and provoke. Well, sir, mission accomplished. To make such comparisons between R.E.L. and such murderous scum is beneath contempt. He fought for a homeland INVADED by northern aggression, both political and military. I, like many members of this board, had family who fought in that war. To make such a statements that would include many a good man both honest and true, "sir", makes you a scoundrel.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

ursavus.elemensis...

I consider all your heroes true heroes, and I don't celebrate Robert E. Lee's valor. However, I hope you are not one of those northerners who jump on the wagon of self-righteousness, claiming to have fought the war to "free the slaves from the evil Southerners". I have studied the war. The North was led to believe that it was about slavery. The South was led to believe that it was about states' rights. The truth is that it was about money. The wealthy northerners saw an endless work force available in the South since the average white Southerner was dirt poor. They wanted to buy land to build factories in the South, but the wealthy Southerners were very comfortable with their lifestyle (regardless of whether it was right or wrong). So, the North endorsed tariffs to strangle the cotton and tobacco industry. When that didn't work, they set up blockades. The truth is that the average northerner and the average Southerner were simply pawns in a rich man's game.

BTW, I know that not all northerners are like that......just the vocal ones. I also know that "those northerners" typically went to schools that had fewer than 10 total black students. Also, those northerners live in neighborhoods that have, at most, 1 or 2 black families. You know what that spells? It spells "SEGREGATION". Only it's the more underhanded economic type. It's not nearly as common here in the South as it is in the North, yet "those northerners" are always lecturing us on proper race relations. In other words, they pretend to be good at something they've never even tried.

Sincerely,
bogie
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

BTW, I did celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. IMHO, he was one of the greatest Americans ever to live.

A lot of folks have a negative opinion of him because they unfairly liken him to many of the African Americans that have come along since then. It's similar to how some people have contempt for Jesus because they liken Him to his flawed followers. It's pretty unfair.

bogie
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Last edited by Idahoser on Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Idahoser wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:...Martin Luther King, Jr. ...A lot of folks have a negative opinion of him
Really? I didn't get that impression. I thought maybe a lot of folks didn't necessarily think he was all that, but (except for racists who would not respect anybody of color) I hadn't picked up anything actually 'negative' about him. Me, from what little I know, being publick educated, I have a positive view of him and his views... and a very negative view of those who claim to be of his kind today. I think he'd be very disappointed, perhaps outraged at what is done in his name these days. Here they run a parade for him, and I know "we shall overcome" would not now be something he would encourage.

But what the h@!! do I know, I'm a white male. Scourge of the planet.
I think he's rolling over in his grave too. It's sad.

bogie
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:
SmokeEater2 wrote:Here in Arkansas we celebrate Robert E. Lee's birthday today too.
First of all, I was born in west Texas, and I lived for 3 1/2 years in Little Rock, AR.

Now, I want to know just what it is that people celebrate when they celebrate the birthday of a man who led an armed rebellion against the United States of America? What's next? Arkansas will be celebrating Timothy McVeigh's birthday? How about Osama Bin Laden's birthday? What's the functional difference between what Robert E. Lee did and what Timothy McVeigh did? Oh, I know, Robert E. Lee was fighting for a "cause"... Robert E. Lee was fighting for what he saw as the defense of his homeland against the "government"... Yeah, so was Timothy McVeigh. And, you better beleive that Osama Bin Laden believes in his "cause," too. What is it that makes people think that this country should have been forcibly torn apart, and just why do those people enjoy the celebration of a man who tried to break our nation apart? This is ONE nation, under GOD. We should never have had to endure such a painful and pointless assault on the NATION that 25,000 brave patriots died during the Revolutionary War to see built. Those who led the armed rebellion were trying to destroy our nation. They are not heroes. They are treasonous criminals. Every one of MY heroes loved this nation with every last fiber in their hearts. Men like General Andrew Jackson, born in South Carolina, raised in Tennessee, served his state and our Nation with bravery and distinction. As President, he sent Federal troops to his native South Carolina to suppress the nullification crisis. He is my hero. During the Revolutionary War, he was imprisoned by the British as a young teenager for supporting the Continental Army. He refused an order of a British officer to shine the officer’s shoes, and Andrew Jackson carried the scar from the blow by the officer’s saber on his forehead for the rest of his life. And, it was a life dedicated to defending the United States of America. His brother Robert Jackson died of smallpox while the boys were being held in that prison. Those boys LOVED this country. The idea of bringing armed rebellion against the United States would have been unthinkable to Andrew Jackson. HE is my hero. Another hero of mine is General Sam Houston. Raised in Tennessee and then moved to the Texas territory. He bravely fought for and won the independence of my native state of Texas from Mexico. So many times that war was almost lost. So many times he bravely led his men back to the road to victory. And later when, by the grace of God, Texas joined the United States of America, it was Sam Houston who served multiple terms as Governor of the State of Texas. He was a living hero to the people of Texas and he will forever be one my heroes. When the people of Texas mistakenly were led into the morally bankrupt swamp of secession, the great warrior Sam Houston was recruited by the rebellious forces, but he would not fight for them. He would not bring up arms against the nation that he LOVED with all his heart. He refused to his dying day to recognize Texas’s secession. The actions of the ungrateful in Texas broke his heart and that is a documented fact. He never was the same again. He is my hero. Another hero is General Douglas MacArthur, born in Little Rock, AR. His mother's family was part of Virginia high society, but they were Americans first and forever. His father, another of my heroes, won a Congressional Medal of Honor leading the men in his unit to victory over the rebellious criminals at the Battle of Missionary Ridge. Douglas MacArthur and his father, they are my heroes.

Robert E. Lee is just a criminal murderous thug who perpetrated armed rebellion against the people of the United States. No, there is nothing to celebrate in Robert E. Lee’s honor because any man who raises a sword against the United States has no honor and deserves nothing but the pain and sorrow and the wholesale destruction that his imprudent acts of selfishness brought to the peoples and the lands throughout the rebellious states. It took the South over 100 years to even modestly recover from that war that Robert E. Lee fought, and I can tell you from living there that the south has not even come close to getting over it yet. Is that sadness, that destruction, that pain something that people really think ought to be celebrated??? I love the United States of America, and I am grateful that God shed His grace on us and He continues to watch over us and protect us as He did when Robert E. Lee brought the sword against us nearly 150 years ago.
Thanks for the laugh. :lol:

Robert E. Lee did what he thought was right, before, during and after the Civil War. Andrew Jackson did, usually, what suited him and sometimes he was right in spite of himself but he also betrayed allies and some might argue, failed to do his duty as POTUS in enforcing the Supreme Court judgement FOR the Cherokees.

FWIW, members of my family, fought, died, were crippled, etc fighting for these United States. They were abolitionists through and through. Not a one of them HATED Robert E. Lee.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

No it did not.

Nor did I have any luck yesterday convincing them to give me the day off in commemoration of the Battle of Isandlwana. :cry:
Slow is just slow.
OD*
Member Emeritus

Post by OD* »

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iJuo ... QD8UACJ5O0[/url]
The 23rd is JMB birthday.

And his grandson states it was the 23rd in John M. Browning, American Gunmaker .
Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
End the cycle of hatred, don't give them a tomorrow.