Question re: Lyman 56 sights and Winchester 92/53s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Question re: Lyman 56 sights and Winchester 92/53s

Post by cubrock »

I have a Winchester 53 that someone drilled and tapped for a receiver sight. At a recent gun show, I came across a Lyman 56 (no suffix, just plain 56) that looked like it might work, so I bought it. Well, the screw spacing is slightly different.

So, my question is this. If I had the gun drilled and tapped for the 56 screw spacing, would it work? Or, is there another Lyman sight I should be looking for? Or, Redfield? I can't find a list of receiver sights made for the 92/53 and want to weigh my options before further modifying the gun.

Also, for which guns was the Lyman 56 intended, other than the Winchester Model 71?

Thanks in advance!
.........THE TWINS..........

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: Question re: Lyman 56 sights and Winchester 92/53s

Post by KirkD »

As far as I can see from the Model 53's in my database, the Lyman receiver sight was not a factory option, unlike the tang sight. I can't recall if I have your Model 53 in my database or not. If not, I would be grateful if you would PM me. I have about 1% of all production now (just over 150 guns in my database).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I would be more inclined to elongate one of the holes in the sight if it is just slightly different. If a skosh more than slightly then maybe drill a new hole in the sight.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

KirkD wrote:As far as I can see from the Model 53's in my database, the Lyman receiver sight was not a factory option, unlike the tang sight. I can't recall if I have your Model 53 in my database or not. If not, I would be grateful if you would PM me. I have about 1% of all production now (just over 150 guns in my database).

Kirk,

I thought I had sent you the info on it when I bought it. I'll have to look at the SN and get back with you. This is definitely not factory work. It is well enough done, but not good enough to be factory.

Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

According to the book "OLD GUNSIGHTS" by Nick Stroebel, the Lyman 56 application codes were:

56A- winchester 1892, 1894, 1886, Models 53, 55, 64, 65, 71, 1885, 87 Single Shot, Remingon Model 14 & 141.

56B- Winchester Model 1903, 63, 61, Marlin Models 1894, 36.

56BSA- BSA Model 12, Martini action rifles.

56C- Remington Models 14, 141, 25, Marlin Models 39, 39A, 1897, Savage Models 1903, 1914, 1929, Stevens Model 75.

56LA- Marlin 336.

56MB- Marlin Models 1893, 1894, 36.

56MC- Marlin Models 39, 39A, 1897.

56R12- Remingon Models 12, 121, 25, Savage Models 1903, 1914, 29, Stevens Model 75.

56S- Savage Model 99

56W- Marlin Model 1893.

56W71- Winchester Model 86 and 71.

Some applications require a different front sight also.

Hope this helps. SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Shasta,

That is immensely helpful! However, mine only says "Lyman 56" on it. Were the application coded sights later? Thank you! :)

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

cubrock wrote: Kirk,

I thought I had sent you the info on it when I bought it. I'll have to look at the SN and get back with you. This is definitely not factory work. It is well enough done, but not good enough to be factory.
Then I'm sure I have it. I don't keep track of names in order to keep all the data anonymous.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

cubrock- The book states that application codes are stamped on the exposed surface of the mounting block. There is no reference for just "56".

edit- Per the mentioned book, Winchester rifle receiver sights use either 0.525- or 0.600- inch hole centers with 6-48 screw size.
Marlin receiver sight hole spacing is either 0.600 or 0.775 inch on centers using a 6-48 screw size.

edit- cubrock, the letter suffix may not always be stamped next to the number. Check all areas of your sight for a letter code.

SHASTA

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Shasta,

That was it! I found "LA" on the sight arm. Now I need to decide if I keep looking for a Winchester sight or have a new hole drilled in my gun. :)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

cubrock wrote:Shasta....keep looking for a Winchester sight or have a new hole drilled in my gun. :)

No, no---take Marks advice--you can rework the sight or.......call Ken Bean of York, Pa and make a switcheroo :wink: ----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

I missed Marc's post. That bears looking into.

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

OK guys, we have a Winchester owner with a QUALITY Lyman 56 receiver sight designed for a Marlin. Surely, (don't call me Shirley) :lol: there is a Marlin guy out there with a quality all-steel receiver sight for a Winchester, willing to swap?

Hey cubrock, just trying to help! Good luck!

SHASTA

cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Shasta wrote:OK guys, we have a Winchester owner with a QUALITY Lyman 56 receiver sight designed for a Marlin. Surely, (don't call me Shirley) :lol: there is a Marlin guy out there with a quality all-steel receiver sight for a Winchester, willing to swap?

Hey cubrock, just trying to help! Good luck!

SHASTA

Yeah, that is probably the best solution. However, I don't mind keeping a Marlin sight around, either. :)

2520WHV
Levergunner

Post by 2520WHV »

Somewhere around 1955 a new Lyman receiver sight for lever guns became the Lyman 66.
I'm not sure screw holes were the same spacing as the earlier 57 sight. Perhaps your gun is drilled and tapped for the Lyman 66?
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Good point. I'll check into that.