Taffin on Perfect Packin Pistol

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Taffin on Perfect Packin Pistol

Post by rjohns94 »

We recently ran a thread on this topic and i was reading over on sixguns some of John's articles. Could not help but come here and share. He is a wise man :wink:, much like so many here:
http://www.sixguns.com/range/perfect_packin_pistol.htm

(I am loving my ruger OM 3 screw with custom work in .45 colt)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Taffin on Perfect Packin Pistol

Post by J Miller »

Sheesh, as purty as he makes that pistol sound he shoulda posted some 600x800 glossies for us to slobber over.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I always figgered JT was hopin' to get real close to findin' his "Perfect Packin' Pistol," while having it always just elude him... Actually finding "it" would destroy his quest, and he's gettin' a little old to be takin' on a completely new line of inquiry...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Buck Elliott wrote:I always figgered JT was hopin' to get real close to findin' his "Perfect Packin' Pistol," while having it always just elude him... Actually finding "it" would destroy his quest, and he's gettin' a little old to be takin' on a completely new line of inquiry...
Buck, I'll bet you're right about Taffin.

Not being inclined to spend lots of money on custom six guns my perfect packing pistol is an Old Model 4 5/8" Ruger BH in .45 Colt.
The only change needed for me is to retro fit it with an original XR3 grip frame.
I had one many years ago, till some scum sucking dog stole it.
The short barreled OM .45s are so hard to find now I haven't seen one for sale since ..... I don't know when.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu May 13, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

Mr. Taffin got me hooked on the PPP quest several years ago. I have several, but the beauty isn't in the destination, it's in the journey.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

I have a 3-screw Ruger blackhawk,4 5/8" in .357 that I love but I cant hit the side of
a car with it.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Sheesh, as purty as he makes that pistol sound he shoulda posted some 600x800 glossies for us to slobber over
Big talk for someone on dialup! :lol:
The Lord Bless You

Terry
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I've had my PPP for decades. A 4 3/4" .44 Ruger Flattop.

Now that I've gotten old(er) and realized I don't ALWAYS need that power, the new 44 Special Flattop that Ruger came out with is starting to take over the top spot :shock: :mrgreen:

7 1/2 grains of Unique with a 255gr SWC for 950fps seems to get 99% of my jobs done.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well here it is - lovely and packable and sweet as can be.

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

And ain't she a pistol...!?!
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,
I love the pic of Lady J, but what's she got to do with Taffin on Perfect Packin Pistols?

Joe
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

A new feller could get himself in a lot of dutch right now. :lol: Very nice photo of a very nice lady.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

For me at least, finding the perfect packin pistol should be less hard than finding the perfect packin holster. IMO, if you can't find the perfect pistol with all the options today you ain't trying very hard. SA's, DA's Semi's etc etc. For me in my location my Birdhead .32M Single Six may indeed be the perfect packin pistol. But I've yet to find a good packin holster for it. Part of my problem is a lack of funds to try different rigs. I also have an issue making up my mind if I want shoulder, crossdraw, high ride on the hip, etc etc. All these choices, so little time (and money).

LK
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

L_Kilkenny wrote:For me at least, finding the perfect packin pistol should be less hard than finding the perfect packin holster. IMO, if you can't find the perfect pistol with all the options today you ain't trying very hard. SA's, DA's Semi's etc etc. For me in my location my Birdhead .32M Single Six may indeed be the perfect packin pistol. But I've yet to find a good packin holster for it. Part of my problem is a lack of funds to try different rigs. I also have an issue making up my mind if I want shoulder, crossdraw, high ride on the hip, etc etc. All these choices, so little time (and money).

LK
Ain't that the awful truth?!

Joe
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I fell onto my PPP almost 30 years ago. Other than having it gone over completly by a good smith (heck the darned thing is older than me, and having same smith install a new front sight. It only needed a good replacment grip, which Pachmayr took care of nicely, I haven't needed to change a thing.

S&W Model 1917, 1937 Brazilian contract.

Carried in a crossdraw, it is the most frequently carried handgun when out and about. Does duty as an occasional concealed peice, as well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

jeepnik wrote:I fell onto my PPP almost 30 years ago. Other than having it gone over completly by a good smith (heck the darned thing is older than me, and having same smith install a new front sight. It only needed a good replacment grip, which Pachmayr took care of nicely, I haven't needed to change a thing.

Carried in a crossdraw, it is the most frequently carried handgun when out and about. Does duty as an occasional concealed peice, as well.
Jeepnick,
Nice old S&W, what's the caliber?

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Joe - ain't she packin' a pistol? :D Now some would consider it perfect.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

OS, she is, .....but I had to look twice to find it!! :oops:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:Joe - ain't she packin' a pistol? :D Now some would consider it perfect.
Yep, and I do too.

Joe
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

J Miller wrote:
jeepnik wrote:I fell onto my PPP almost 30 years ago. Other than having it gone over completly by a good smith (heck the darned thing is older than me, and having same smith install a new front sight. It only needed a good replacment grip, which Pachmayr took care of nicely, I haven't needed to change a thing.

Jeepnick,
Nice old S&W, what's the caliber?

Joe
Like all Model 1917's it's .45 acp. The desert where I usually roam doesn't have much in the way of big critters, coyotes and the very very rare puma. Mostly have to deal with two legged critters, and you can't beat six 230 gr jhp's for that purpose.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I like my 2 1/2 " Charter Arms 44 Spl Bulldog. It carries well with no holster using the Hip Grip and it is pretty light and compact. I've shot hogs, goats and deer with it and it is accurate and powerful enough out to 25 or 30 yds. I'm sure it would work well against two legged vermin too. I'm using my Colt CC 45ACP more and more as a PPP too since it is very comfortable and out of the way with the ClipDraw and no holster.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member