.348 Winchester Info - eMail From Barnes Tech Support

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RANisbet
Levergunner 2.0

.348 Winchester Info - eMail From Barnes Tech Support

Post by RANisbet »

Here is an excerpt of what I received:

Barnes-X .348 caliber bullets are made of pure copper (99.9%), not gilding metal. This is the same copper that is used in our new TSX and TTSX bullets. We find that the pure copper gives a better operating window when compared to gilding metal.

Hopefully in the future we can offer a TSX bullet for the 348 Winchester.

Bob Nisbet
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .348 Winchester Info - eMail From Barnes Tech Support

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

RANisbet wrote:Here is an excerpt of what I received:

Barnes-X .348 caliber bullets were made of pure copper (99.9%), not gilding metal. This is the same copper that is used in our new TSX and TTSX bullets. We find that the pure copper gives a better operating window when compared to gilding metal.

Hopefully in the future we can offer a TSX bullet for the 348 Winchester.

Bob Nisbet
I fixed it. Clearly, they are no longer made or we wouldn't all be searching GunBroker for them. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have been after them, too. Aside from the .348, I would like to see.338, .35, 375, and .40 caliber FP TSX bullets, but at present that is unlikely. Not enough demand. I reside and hunt in Condor Country, a problem that forces the use of all copper bullets on me. My various older Model 1886 Winchesters are useless without the "right" bullets. Sure, the .45 caliber guns are good, but the others sit idle. :(
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Am I missing something, did Barnes stop making the Classic or whatever they called cup and core, in Cals like .375,38/55 win and .348?
I have lot's of their old pure copper jacketed& lead soft point for the 375 H&H good bullet!Mushy but held together fine on Elk and Moose made a big ball.
I really liked the blue coated X bullet in 7mm will have to give the new TSX a try as I hear they are pretty good but too be honest the old Nosler Part has never let me down! I just liked the fact I could get bullets for odd ball stuff from Barnes they always did cost a arm and a leg though. Hmm for some reason I have a box of 250gr .348 just need a model 71 to go with them :cry:
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

originals are still made in .375, .377, .458 and .510 in a couple different weights. I also miss some of the old originals. I still have several boxes of the 250 grain RN in .308 and some 600 grain RN in .458 for really big game.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

buckeyeshooter wrote:originals are still made in .375, .377, .458 and .510 in a couple different weights. I also miss some of the old originals. I still have several boxes of the 250 grain RN in .308 and some 600 grain RN in .458 for really big game.
That's gota be some really big game! I am happy with a 405 Rem Coreloct lol
At least I know what they called them ''Origanals'' Now they will just charge double or three times for a X bullet okay I am bitter.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Its not quite the same thing, but Woodleigh will make small runs of their Hydrostatic solids in different weights as long as they are made when they are making a batch in the same diameter. Minimum run size is only 500 bullets, which makes it possible for a group buy if there is sufficient interest.

They do make a number of different diameters in the Hydrostatic range that would suit levergunners, but 348 isnt one of them. They do make them in 338, 35, 375, 411, 458 and 510 which covers most levergun cals.

Those that have used these new pills on game report straight line penetration on game is at least on a par with conventional solids, however expansion seems to be somewhere between solid and softnose performance, making them an interesting option for DG use.
jtaylor1960
Levergunner

Post by jtaylor1960 »

When I heard that Barnes was discontinuing the 348 X bullet I called Barnes and bought ten boxes.At the time they had only 100 boxes left.I wish I could have bought more.