ot- Anyone have one of the new Cricket pistols?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

ot- Anyone have one of the new Cricket pistols?

Post by 2ndovc »

I saw a couple of these neat Keystone pistols at a gun show last weekend and thought one would be the cat's behind for siting on the back deck with a box of .22 shorts whackin' black birds and any other pests.

I seem to remeber a few of you have Cricket rifles for your kids and wondered how well they were put together.

Wouldn't mind having one if I could get these bills under control :oops:

jb 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: ot- Anyone have one of the new Cricket pistols?

Post by Rusty »

I think you'd do better with a Benjamin air pistol in .177. Not as much noise in your back yard.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like the cricket. I have one for the boys and they love it. Function wise it is a smooth single shot. My only problem is it can be hard at times to load with adult sized fingers when in a hurry. But it is very accurate and the main + it is made in the U.S.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

They actually made 2 experimental xp-100's in 22lr actually they advertised their availability, I tried hard to get one of them when the project was shelved but no luck. I'm not sure who ended up with them.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Rusty wrote:I think you'd do better with a Benjamin air pistol in .177. Not as much noise in your back yard.
I've had quite enough of air pistols and blown out seals. Thank you very much. :D
Plus there's nothing like the smell of gun smoke in the morning!

I'm on the edge of town where the occasional gun shot is no big deal but i don't like to disturb the neighbors if I don't have to.

Jeremy,

Thanks for the info. I thought I remembered your boys having one at the Indy shoot.

jb 8)

Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I really like the Crickett I got my daughter... it is well made and accurate... the only problem we've had is sticky extraction when using hotter loads like the CCI Velocitor, etc. Shouldn't be any kind of problem with shorts.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I don't have one (yet :lol: ) but I have looked them over at a couple of shows and shops. For the price I was seeing (under $200 IIRC), they don't look bad. I did some google searching and I think there was a group buy at Specialty Pistols or some such that had some built with match chambers.

I don't recall them being d&t, only the fiber optic sights but I may very well be mis-remembering. I think one would be a dandy match with my Savage 501F. :mrgreen:

And if you figure out the secret to getting bills under control, would you PM me? Please? :lol: :lol: :shock: :x :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like the Crickett rifles. They are simple and well made. As 86er can verify, they are good for teaching youngsters to shoot. Accuracy is very good. The stock is sort of cheap, but on a .22lr, what do you really need for a cheap gun? I had a problem with the chamber being sticky at first, but I took a Hoppes Tornado brush and put it onto the first section of cleaning rod, chucked it into a drill, added a little bit of Smith's honing oil from my Arkansas Oilstone kit, and ran the brush in the chamber for a couple of minutes. I think it burnished the chamber and made it smoother. From then on, I didn't have any extraction problems. I kept an eye on the brass for the next couple hundred rounds, but there was never any sign of split or bulging cases, so I don't see any problem.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

piller wrote:I like the Crickett rifles. They are simple and well made. As 86er can verify, they are good for teaching youngsters to shoot. Accuracy is very good. The stock is sort of cheap, but on a .22lr, what do you really need for a cheap gun? I had a problem with the chamber being sticky at first, but I took a Hoppes Tornado brush and put it onto the first section of cleaning rod, chucked it into a drill, added a little bit of Smith's honing oil from my Arkansas Oilstone kit, and ran the brush in the chamber for a couple of minutes. I think it burnished the chamber and made it smoother. From then on, I didn't have any extraction problems. I kept an eye on the brass for the next couple hundred rounds, but there was never any sign of split or bulging cases, so I don't see any problem.
Thanks Brian!!

jb 8)

vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Jason,

I had a Crickett rifle for my girls. It was great for them with the peep sight. They were dead-eye's with it. I did have a problem with the extractor falling out. Crickett sent a box via UPS, fixed it, and sent it back. So, pretty good customer service.

I eventually sold it and bought them a clip-fed Marlin bolt action .22 so I could scope it and let them shoot p-dawgs at longer ranges.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
JohnM
Levergunner

Post by JohnM »

For very quiet pest elimination from a rimfire rifle try the Super Colibri's. They have a bit more pfftt than the regular Colibri. And unlike the regular Colibri, the little slugs don't seem to have a tendancy to get stuck in y'r bbl, either. The report is considerably less than either spring or compression airguns.

Power is nowhere near a regular .22 short, but they do quite well up thru squirrels and pigeons. Feral and nuisance cats, as we all know, are tougher critters. So you need to be able to make a clean CNS brainpan shot in order to turn off their juice pronto. Flopping,squalling cats tend to attract attention in a town. To avoid those neighborly embarrassments Havahart traps work, and then you can practice those brainpan shots in a more dignified privacy.

Anyway, like those Colibri supers or whatever they're named,for basement offhand practice and pruning the local fauna.
JohnM
Levergunner

Post by JohnM »

For very quiet pest elimination from a rimfire rifle try the Super Colibri's. They have a bit more pfftt than the regular Colibri. And unlike the regular Colibri, the little slugs don't seem to have a tendancy to get stuck in y'r bbl, either. The report is considerably less than either spring or compression airguns.

Power is nowhere near a regular .22 short, but they do quite well up thru squirrels and pigeons. Feral and nuisance cats, as we all know, are tougher critters. So you need to be able to make a clean CNS brainpan shot in order to turn off their juice pronto. Flopping,squalling cats tend to attract attention in a town. To avoid those neighborly embarrassments Havahart traps work, and then you can practice those brainpan shots in a more dignified privacy.

Anyway, like those Colibri supers or whatever they're named,for basement offhand practice and pruning the local fauna.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The Crickets are nice guns... BUT... I really dislike the "safety" mechanisim.

As (JReed?) can attest, a slight bump along with a forgotten key can ruin a day's shooting.

I bought the Henry MiniBolt for my Nephews. All of the benefits of the Cricket with none of the disadvantages...

Plus, it makes a dandy in-town varment gun in it's own rights with .22 Super Colibris.. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Ironsights wrote:The Crickets are nice guns... BUT... I really dislike the "safety" mechanisim.

As (JReed?) can attest, a slight bump along with a forgotten key can ruin a day's shooting.
:
True enough. Leaving that key at home is a guaranteed way to have a bad day. Do they have the same lock on the pistols?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis