Made Some Hawken Smoke

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Made Some Hawken Smoke

Post by Swampman »

T/C Hawken .50 with standard 1:48 factory barrel. I'd never shot this one before. .490 roundball, pillow tickin patch, Birddog6 patch lube, Windex wipe between shots, 60 grains of 3f Goex. First shot was almost exactly in the middle of the lower left bull. It was very hard to load until I switched to the Birddog 6 patch lube. I'd have shot at 50 but I can even see the targets.

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Made Some Hawken Smoke

Post by JReed »

Never mind.
Last edited by JReed on Sun May 02, 2010 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Fixed it for ya. Nice shooting my Renegade shoots about the same lots of fun.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sehr gut. Ich denke, dass Sie ein süßes Schießengewehr fanden!! (Figured that was appropriate as the "Hawken" is really just an adaptation of the German"Jagers!") :P :P
For help: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

makes big holes - good shootin - must have been a hoot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Careful now, once that black powder gets in the blood it never comes out. :wink:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have the Renegade.My Brother has the Hawkin. when He was in his early 30's and had eyes to see all.... He many times would cover that diamond at 120yds.with 5 shots.before many family members. 80gr FFG .490RB.We had great times.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good for you. I haven't shot my TC Hawken 54 in quite some time. Working on my BPC's for my Shiloh.
Old Law Dawg
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TX50Cal »

I have a 50 Renegade and the boy has a .45 Seneca. Here he is with his first target with the Seneca.
ps: his middle name is Hawken:)
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I like :D

All un-used muzzle loaders are welcome here and will be given a good home with the promise of plenty of fresh air on regular outings.

If you can figure a way around customs pm me for my address :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice plug, Nath. :D
Old Law Dawg
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Hey Nath, maybe if we bought two of them in we could convince them they were crutches. We could put little rubber pads on the muzzles.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Swampman wrote:T/C Hawken .50 with standard 1:48 factory barrel. I'd never shot this one before. .490 roundball, pillow tickin patch, Birddog6 patch lube, Windex wipe between shots, 60 grains of 3f Goex. First shot was almost exactly in the middle of the lower left bull. It was very hard to load until I switched to the Birddog 6 patch lube. I'd have shot at 50 but I can even see the targets.

I have been making smoke for the past 20 years with a hawken .54. I must say with a Bullet say a maxi or minni it is the hardest kicking gun I own! I tend to use 110gr of FFFG alot with a Lee REAL BULLET that is my rifles sweet spot and it's good for some mind boggling velocity too. Makes a 12 ga slug look like a toy! For the 440gr Minni I use 100gr of Goex FFFG
I have also shot Sabots, good shooting but they come apart on Big Deer Tried the 300gr XTP .44 on a big Muley buck Easy 250+lbs on the hoof,Hit it at 80yrds the bullet comes out in Splinters! I will stick to the big cast slugs or a hard cast, yep hard cast ww round ball the pistol bullet just will not take a honest 2000fps on a big Deer unless it is a hard cast home brew.All my Big bullets Black powder loads are mushy pure lead and Dam they work!
I love the Hawkens to me that say's Black powder no fancy sub,or 209 primer Just lose black powder and a good CCI Cap will fill the freezer. We have a Doe season here open To Black, Shotgun or Bow You can take two deer in Early to Mid Dec I always Take the Hawken you never come home empty handed. I Take one with the Hawken then Hope to score with the Bow. I should add with much sadness I have not taken a deer with my bow during the Foothills Season. They dance around and laugh at me at 75 to 100yrds away. Then I pull out the Hawken and take my second tag, stupid Deer!.
My arms get tired carring both but it is worth it if I need to fill the freezer. Long live a true black powder gun and my hat is off to those that use a Flint lock.
For us Sissy's that use a cap gun try the CCI Mag cap it works great better than my old RWS caps.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Swampman wrote:T/C Hawken .50 with standard 1:48 factory barrel. I'd never shot this one before. .490 roundball, pillow tickin patch, Birddog6 patch lube, Windex wipe between shots, 60 grains of 3f Goex. First shot was almost exactly in the middle of the lower left bull. It was very hard to load until I switched to the Birddog 6 patch lube. I'd have shot at 50 but I can even see the targets.

I might add I think the 1/48 twist is a comp, but it sure tends to twist the gun in Recoil with a heavy slug so much that it looks like I have gone 10 rds with Mike Tyson. I start to get a blue and green cheek, just the way my old gun fit's me, or hit's me I guess.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! 8)
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Great - I really like ml's!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Pardon my ignorance....what is Birdog6 patch lube? I might need to try some in my Hawken!
Maybe it can make me shoot like that!

The T/C stocks don't have much drop and they tend to be rough on the shooter cheek....especially from the bench.
I try to stay of the bench and use shooting sticks instead. It made my face sore just readin that .54 load mentioned above!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~