OT- Possible new handgun purchase.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Possible new handgun purchase.

Post by 336A »

Today I was thinking about what my next handgun purchase will be. I was thinking about a .357 magnum but I really don't care for all of that dang muzzle blast. Yet I want something that will really lay the hammer down if need be but with readily available components. Then it dawned on me that the answer to my quest is the great ol' .44 S&W SPL. I already have dies as I load for my Marlin 1894 .44 Mag, and I have some Unique and W231 on hand as well.

I got to looking around to see who still makes .44 SPL revolvers. I crossed S&W off of the list right away as they are way to rich for my blood. So out of curiosity I checked Ruger's web site, I couldn't believe what I saw they are listing the NM Black Hawk in .44 SPL. I thought that these guns were only a special order deal through Lipseys' and weren't a standard production item. Does anyone here know if these .44 SPL BH are in fact going to be a standard production item?
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Possible new handgun purchase.

Post by JB »

Yes, distributors other than Lipseys are showing the Blackhawk in 44 special now.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

+1 to what JB said.

And don't forget about the Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 Spec. - the 4" version is called the "Target" model.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

'nother tack is to load 44 spcl velocities in 44 mag brass.

don't know what the benefit of buying the 44 spcl is unless the cylinder and frame are shorter. you can buy 44 mag and shoot spcl loads in it. and since you have the 44 mag rifle all of your ammo would fire in both guns.

my 44 mag carries 44 spcl in town.....

Grizz
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

336A wrote:Today I was thinking about what my next handgun purchase will be.
Don't you love it how no sooner have you just shot your first box of ammo out of your most recent aquisition, you start dreaming about the next one... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Not to burst your bubble but I've had both the magnum and the special and I've found it way easier to find magnums in both loaded rounds and brass. My local Wally World seems to have .44 Mag in stock when they're out of everything else.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Grizz and others, the advantage to .44 special over the mag is very real to me. I do have a s&w model 29-2 with the rare 5" barrel in .44 mag. Also these six .44 specials. Four are smiths and two colt single actions. With the one exception of a .44 mag S&W mountain gun that is hard to find, the specials are much more portable and handy because they weigh less due to the lighter pencil barrel and shorter clyinder. Besides, you can load a special up to about 1,200 fps with a 240 grain bullett. Thats about 95% of what most people buy a mag for and really use it as needed about 5% of the time. Belive me, you can tell the differance packing them! The .44 special ruger should be just fine. I had a .357 ruger chambered to .44 special almost 40 years ago. The lipsey would be the same thing. The .44 special is a sweetheart. The 29s and super blackhawk are kind of cluby in compareison.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Heres that ruger I had made up to .44 special. Same as the lipseys.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

And here is one of my .44 mag S&W 29-2 with the 5" barrel. It is a fine gun, yet noticably heavier even with the 5" barrel moreso than the smith 24-3 4" with faux ivory service grips. For packing a .44 special, my top choice is the 24-3 followed by the 4 3/4" colt saa, and probley the lipseys ruger would really be the best for the money.

336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Booger Bill wrote:Grizz and others, the advantage to .44 special over the mag is very real to me. I do have a s&w model 29-2 with the rare 5" barrel in .44 mag. Also these six .44 specials. Four are smiths and two colt single actions. With the one exception of a .44 mag S&W mountain gun that is hard to find, the specials are much more portable and handy because they weigh less due to the lighter pencil barrel and shorter clyinder. Besides, you can load a special up to about 1,200 fps with a 240 grain bullett. Thats about 95% of what most people buy a mag for and really use it as needed about 5% of the time. Belive me, you can tell the differance packing them! The .44 special ruger should be just fine. I had a .357 ruger chambered to .44 special almost 40 years ago. The lipsey would be the same thing. The .44 special is a sweetheart. The 29s and super blackhawk are kind of cluby in compareison.

Thanks Booger Bill your post confirmed my suspicions, and you said it better than I could. Aside from that I will never need the power the Magnum round offers. The Special will be able to handle anything that I will need a handgun to do and then some.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Ruger's new 44spl flat top single action is a great choice because its made on the smaller and lighter 357mag frame size. Couple of friends at the range got them and think they are the ticket.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/951648347/Gu ... pl_New.htm

http://www.lipseys.com/itemfinder.aspx? ... %20Special
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Booger Bill, and others,

There is one difference between your custom 44 Spcl BH and those Ruger are making now. The current ones are Flattops.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I can see how the size difference matters. The redhawk is a club compared to those others.
medicdave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by medicdave »

Another option is one of the Smith 21's that came out a few years ago if you don't mine the fixed sights. Real world prices are $600 and under if you look around. Have to deal with the lawyer lock though....
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

So much about firearms is subjective and opinion, presented as fact. So here is my subjective opinion and that is all it is. I have had a dozen or more 44 Special handguns over the years and have never found them to be special in any way. I have sold them all down river save a good 1931 vintage 2nd. Model Hand Ejector Smith.

The 44 Magnum on the other hand is a very useful and accurate round up and down the power level and in every way that is important to me far superior than a straight 44 Special.

The above is just the experience and opinion of grey headed old fat man who messes around with hanguns.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Now ya got two old fat gray headed guys opinions to confuse you!

stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

FWIW, here's my opinion:

If you want the round for general plinkin', the occasional varmint,
a house gun, a truck gun, and packin' for self-defense, I think the 44
Special would do all you'd ever need. I can shoot the 44 Special
pleasantly all afternoon, too. It's underrated these days, but IMHO
it's a fine cartridge for most of what needs doin' with a handgun.

Lee lists 240 gr. bullets at between 900 and 1,000 FPS, so I do not
think you'd be undergunned in a self-defense scenario - unless you
were going up against a grizzly.

Unless you're going to use it on big game, it sounds like the 44
Special would suit ya fine.

-Stretch
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Truth be told, I'm not a real fan of Rugers. I've had a couple and they are built like tanks but they also are heavy and bulky to me, especially their 44mag versions (both Blackhawk and Redhawk). That said, their new 44spl flat top is the exception. Its is built on the smaller, lighter 357mag frame.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I handled a couple of Ruger Black Hawks the other day and much to my dismay I didn't like the way they felt in my hand. For what ever reason I just couldn't get a warm and fuzzy about the feel of them in my hand, this sucks as I really like the svelt looks of a nice SA revolver.

So I will keep my eyes peeled for a nice S&W. Which sucks too because I know I will end up paying more for one.
Last edited by 336A on Sun May 02, 2010 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Get the Ruger flat top and don't look back.

I love mine.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!