45-70 shotshells

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike8623
Levergunner

45-70 shotshells

Post by Mike8623 »

I've been thinking about a 45-70 shotshell, probably a lot you have also or have even done it but here are my thoughts.

Was thinking of using a 45-70 case loaded with a proper amount of powder and then using a .410 plastic wad (shot cup) so that the shot will not ruin my rifling and then some type of small wad or cover over the top of the case........what do folks think......anyone done this before, will the .410 plastic shot cup fit into the 45-70 case, what type of cap for the top of the case.....ideas or experience out there......I know .410s have been used before in 45-70's but you have to dig them out with a knife..........what do you guys think?
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: 45-70 shotshells

Post by Terry Murbach »

I THINK YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A REALLY GOOD 410 SHOTGUN. MAYBE A WINCHESTER 42....OR A REMINGTON 870...OF A BERETTA SXS 410....AN AYA FROM SPAIN...OOOOOOH YEAH !!!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Since you're just going to put a wad on top or perhaps a rose crimp, why not use the 45-90 brass to get a bit more space in there.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Mike8623
Levergunner

Post by Mike8623 »

Rimfire.....seems like I read that you were kinda headed this way on a barrel assembly (smooth bore).......I liked the crimp idea you had with regards to feeding into a 86 magazine....that is what I was looking at. I have a couple of 86's in 45-70. I carry one of them everyday in Montana, mostly because of the bears. I come across a lot of grouse and during hunting season I thought it would be nice to get a couple for dinner every once in awhile without having to take the shotgun with me. I'm in the process of completing a 50-110 and was also thinking
along the same lines with a 36 bore wad. Why shouldn't it be possible to build up a shotshell that will function and work without tearing up the bore......it just takes some thought, innovation, experimentation and will.

Come on guys how about a little more info on what you have done a forum is a place to share ideas and experiences.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[so that the shot will not ruin my rifling

FWIW

Why would pure lead shot "ruin" rifling, when shooting lead bullets doesn't ?
Leading = leading, no matter what's used as a projectile.

Rifling imparts a spin to any shot charge, resulting in "donut-shaped" patterns - making them impractical beyond a very short distance.

I'm with Terry. :mrgreen:

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I never did believe in complicating matters. I've shot lots of 45-70's and 45-90's with about 10 grains of Unique---cardboard wad---#6, or #8, or #11 to about 1/4" of the case mouth. The another wad, topped off with Elmers glue. Then a good roll crimp. I shot a lot of rats and pigeons with those 86's. Nothing to brag about in the "feeding department" I single loaded 'em.

Hurt the rifling? naaaaa You not shooting a thousand of 'em---maybe a dozen or two, then clean as usual.

Patterns? Not much--gotta get close. hey! Its a rifle with no choke.----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Mike8623 wrote:Rimfire.....seems like I read that you were kinda headed this way on a barrel assembly (smooth bore).......I liked the crimp idea you had with regards to feeding into a 86 magazine....that is what I was looking at. I have a couple of 86's in 45-70. I carry one of them everyday in Montana, mostly because of the bears. I come across a lot of grouse and during hunting season I thought it would be nice to get a couple for dinner every once in awhile without having to take the shotgun with me. I'm in the process of completing a 50-110 and was also thinking
along the same lines with a 36 bore wad. Why shouldn't it be possible to build up a shotshell that will function and work without tearing up the bore......it just takes some thought, innovation, experimentation and will...
I am going to send my gun in to have a 50-110 smooth bore barrel added. I was hoping to get a rose crimp die made by CH-4D. They probably have one for .45 cals as well. I was hoping to have some .50 Basic or 50-110 left a little long. Then put a rose crimp on the top to give it a rounded shape as though a bullet were loaded. Then it could be fed through the gate and likely would feed as any normal round without having to be single loaded.

I think some of the shot cups for the 32 Gauge shotshell will fit within a 50-110 case. I'm not positive about that and need to get some to try but I had heard that they do fit. Ballistic Products used to have them.

Now I just need to squeeze the money out of the wife to let me get it done. :roll:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I've loaded shot loads in 45-70. I used I believe 6 1/2 grs Unique, thne felt "Wonder wad", then filled the case with #9 shot, and topped it off with a 45 cal gas check seated backwards, then crimped. The patterns are about as good as 410 shells shot in the 45-70, meaning not all that great past abut 15-20 feet (not yards). They quickly develop a hole in the center of the pattern with a rifled barrel. I've never heard of a barrel being hurt by shot. I don't know how it could.

What I find much more useful for grouse is 6 1/2 grs Unique, a tiny bit if dacron fluff to hold the powder by the primer, and a .457" round ball or collar button bullet. Makes a dandy grouse and small game killer, and doesnt make much noise. It gives more useful range than the shot loads also. Work with the load a little and you should be able to get 40 yards out of them without much trouble. That's 6 times the distance the shot loads are useful. In loading such loads for 30-30, I lube the balls with Lee liquid Alox. I havent used up the few naked ones I have for 45-70, so havent done any with the lee lube. Been shooting a few collar button loads also. They shoot quite well. If you don't want to mess with the dacron fluff, try Red dot powder, about the same amount. The dacron makes the loads much more consistant when using Unique in small charges.

The collar button loads probably feed, and the round balls probably do. I say probably, but I don't know, I always load them singly into the 86 chamber, leaving the magazine loaded with full power loads.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Terry Murbach wrote:I THINK YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A REALLY GOOD 410 SHOTGUN. MAYBE A WINCHESTER 42....OR A REMINGTON 870...OF A BERETTA SXS 410....AN AYA FROM SPAIN...OOOOOOH YEAH !!!!
+1 Terry! Especially that AyA. A little round action side-by would surely be the ticket!

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Bogie35 wrote:
Terry Murbach wrote:I THINK YOU ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A REALLY GOOD 410 SHOTGUN. MAYBE A WINCHESTER 42....OR A REMINGTON 870...OF A BERETTA SXS 410....AN AYA FROM SPAIN...OOOOOOH YEAH !!!!
+1 Terry! Especially that AyA. A little round action side-by would surely be the ticket!
If I ever meet some of you folks in real life I'm going to shake hands with you really hard and hope some of that extra money you guys must be packing shakes free and if it is just a hundred dollar bill or two maybe it wont be worth your time to pick it up. :wink:
Those guns are nice, but WOW! :o
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mklwhite wrote:
Bogie35 wrote:
If I ever meet some of you folks in real life I'm going to shake hands with you really hard and hope some of that extra money you guys must be packing shakes free and if it is just a hundred dollar bill or two maybe it wont be worth your time to pick it up. :wink:
Those guns are nice, but WOW! :o
It is all about your priorities! Shooting first, eating and clothing are next to last. Of course there are only good dogs and workable transportation in between. Most of us who are married do allow these rather reasonable priorities to be modified at least somewhat...

:lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson