How to be Rescued in Wilderness

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

How to be Rescued in Wilderness

Post by t.r. »

What to do when lost. The actors in The Edge did not perform these actions:

--- Do not attempt to find your way out---

- locate and remain near drinking water
- fashion a semi-comfortable sleeping nest
- gather large amount of firewood + fresh or damp leaves to form smoke
- make 3 fires spaced approx 50 feet apart; ridge line is BEST
- alternate between hot fire and smoke during day
- small fires at night are fine
- 3 "towers" of smoke can be viewed for many miles by a search plane

My Dad taught me to always bring three ways of making a fire and spread these items among my clothes and backpack. Don't lose everything at once if an unplanned event occurs! Two BIC lighters and a book of matches, small roll of wax paper, the options are nearly endless.

Always carry a sturdy fixed blade knife such as offered by KaBar, Chipaway, Buck, and others. Small sharpener as well.

Form the letters SOS in a meadow or open area using whatever is available. Letters should be 100 feet in length. Stamping with your feet in snow is effective if a dark material is used as well. DOD satellites pick up on this message fairly quickly. No kidding.

You can live 2 weeks or more without food but your body needs water everyday. More water is req'd at higher elevations due to lack of humidity.

Please share this info with your friends.

T.R.
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: How to be Rescued in Wilderness

Post by Doc Hudson »

I heard that in California during the dry season all a lost person needs to do is clear a 25 foot circle of all flamable material, stand om the center and strike a match. Before the match goes out, someone will be along to give you a ticket.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

or light a cigar - a certain ticket outdoors.

sorry tr, couldn't resist adding to Doc.
Great advice.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

#1: BRING YOUR BRAIN! Don't put it in storage at home before you leave...

#2: KEEP THAT BRAIN IN GOOD WORKING ORDER! Feed and water it regularly. Dehydration does terrible things to a mind.

#3: DON'T PANIC! You are probably better off than you might think.

#4: BUILD FIRES! Yes, plural -- FIRES -- that can be SEEN by rescuers.

#5: LET THE RESCUERS COME TO YOU! You are already lost. Don't get "loster..."

#6: BE PREPARED! Prepared to survive, physically & mentally.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Doc, if that were true, California would have rid itself of ALL the illegal pot growers on the State and National Forests in the PRK.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Doc Hudson wrote:I heard that in California during the dry season all a lost person needs to do is clear a 25 foot circle of all flamable material, stand om the center and strike a match. Before the match goes out, someone will be along to give you a ticket.
Pretty darned close to accurate. I think if you started a signal fire during the dry season, they castrate you and cut off your hands. :twisted:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

at least they'd rescue you. :mrgreen:
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I carry a small pack in my Jeep and on my back whenever I drive/hike outside of town. Have rain gear, water, food, fire, knife, compass, map, and other necessities that I may need if stranded/lost. Up in these parts it's a good idea to have these kinds of things because you can get socked in by weather, or stranded in some remote area and nobody may come by for a while. During the winter I carry warm clothes and either a warm blanket or sleeping bag in my vehicle for "Just in Case".

It's always good to be prepared. (yes I was a Boy Scout in my younger years :D )
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I thought you just bought one of those yuppy satellite phones and dialed 911.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

David wrote:I thought you just bought one of those yuppy satellite phones and dialed 911.
Or Dial-a-Prayer...

"Sorry Sir, all our lines are busy now. Would you care to hold..?" :lol:
Regards

Buck

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Buck Elliott wrote:Doc, if that were true, California would have rid itself of ALL the illegal pot growers on the State and National Forests in the PRK.
No, they are a protected species...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

funny, I'd be trying to hide the fire and camoflauge the sleeping spot if I could get that far away from the government. :lol:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

People getting lost in a forest always amazes me. I mean, completely lost - not knowing which way to go.

If you know where you are at all and can figure out which way is North, etc. then you should be able to simply maintain a heading and walk out to a road or other known area.

Anytime that I've gotten turned around, I did that and it worked. Now, I've never gotten turned around in a true, vast wilderness area, but then I've never gone into such without the tools neede to navigate properly - compass and map. And yes, I know how to use them. Boy Scouts is a wonderful orgainzation :D

Sure, you will need to survive during your trip out, but that's survival, not "completely lost".

I suppose that if the weather is bad - cold or extremely hot, you could be lost but unable to traverse to a known area... and then, yes, you would need rescuing.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I always take along a road flare or two if packing--for getting a fire started especially if wet wood/leaves, a few more if driving. For the latter, nothing like setting a spare on fire (after deflating and preferably dismounting it from rim!) to get some good black smoke going. Nothing misses that. Some young ladies in Arizona wouldn't be missing parts of legs and feet from a now-famous winter/snow incident 15 years back (something like 14 days lost in the snow with their Blazer!). Other things they didn't have/do (other than sense) were blankets, sleeping bags and clothes (only minimal ski garb), water (melted snow but...) and food. One small packet of crackers their dad had left under a seat was all...(Another thing they didn't have were parents with any sense, allowing/sending off on Colorado ski trip so ill-prepared). One thing they did have was some angels and luck on their side, surviving as long as they did strictly on snow.

Even in Arizona, I always carry some mix of the above. Winter goes (or should) without saying, but the summer, it can get downright chilly at night in the high country too,...and as the one gent said, dehydration'll do you in ever time--year 'round.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

IIRC it was in the last year or so that a hunter did claim he was lost and DID set a fire to attract help and it did cause a major fire. He was charged with arson or maybe even charged in the death of some of the fire fighters.

Dr. Ron Hood over at survival.com uses the rule of 3's...

You can survive 3 minutes without air
You can survive 3 hours without shelter
You can survive 3 days without water
You can survive 3 weeks without food.

You need to keep things in the proper perspective.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"You can survive 3 minutes without air
You can survive 3 weeks without food"
And how long without the Leverguns Forum???

:wink: :lol: :D

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old No7 wrote:
"You can survive 3 minutes without air
You can survive 3 weeks without food"
And how long without the Leverguns Forum???

:wink: :lol: :D

Old No7
Ummm, not long judging how fast I fire off an email to Hobie if I can't get it to come up. :o :o

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

If I was lost there, I think that I would work to NOT be found! That view is stunning.
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

For the drinking water, there are a couple of things to think about. Most of us city folk would get sick drinking the water right out of a stream or lake. Almost any store which sells camping equipment sells the little bottles of tablets to purify the water. Get a couple of bottles and take them along. The bottles weigh next to nothing and might make it easier to avoid dehydration from diarrhea. Not a pleasant thought.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

All of t.r.'s advice and everyone elses advice for that matter is based on the assumption that someone would like you enough or miss you enough to come looking for you!!! :o :)
ED
Yer never too old
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Think of the people you might owe money to... :shock:
Regards

Buck

Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

It was suggested to me to carry along a deck of ordinary playing cards.. sit down at a stump and start a game of solitare... someone will surely be along to tell you your next card to play......hth Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Back in 1972, my Dad and I were elk hunting at higher elevations of Big Horn Mts. of Wyoming. A big storm struck and dumped about 30 inches of snow in a fairly short tme. We made it back to the pick-up but could not drive out. We gathered a large amount of firewood; Dad was calm and seemed unconcerned.

We took turns keeping the 3 fires burning. Two days after the storm ended, we were rescued by a Forest Service Patrol on snow mobiles. Fire Tower many miles away saw our distress signal. We were still at least 5 miles from nearest cleared blacktop road.

REST of the STORY

Dad paid a guy to plow and mash down the snow with a big track machine so his Ford pick-up could be driven out. We bolted in a freshly charged battery and the Ford fired right up!

Dad toppled a mid-sized bull next weekend just north of Shell. His lever action 300 Savage barked twice and it was over. I didn't get a shot at a bull that year but filled my cow tag with .308 Savage nearly identical to Dad's rifle.
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!