Reloading help - reduced loads for 45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Reloading help - reduced loads for 45-70

Post by shooter »

Going to the range on Sat. My cousin wants to shoot the 45-70, but I know he doesn't shoot full house loads from it. Are there any good reduced loads he can shoot? We may have some 325 or 350gr cast bullets, and I know there are some 405 gr. that I haven't loaded yet.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Reloading help - reduced loads for 45-70

Post by Blaine »

Get thee to your reloading manual and look under TrapDoor Loads for 45-70.....There are dozens of them out there. I happen to like about 33-35 grains of H4198 w/405 for around 1300-1400 fps. 43gr of same w/405 is a pretty good/accurate hunting load that really does not kick all that bad, and is about 1700fps.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Most of my 45-70's will shoot 1 hole groups out to around 75-100 yards with 11 to 14grs of Unique and any 300 to 405gr cast or jacketed bullets.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Sounds like you need some trailboss. Check out the IMR website. You will find a lot of easy shooting loads.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

34.5 grains IMR4198 under a 405 lead or a remington jacket bullet. Accurate and comfortable to shoot.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I second the Trail Boss motion. :D
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Here's some on Greg Mushial's website.
http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I was thinking about Trail Boss, but none of my manuals have any info for it. I also like the Unique on the site provided by Chas. I talked to one of my shooting buddies and he really likes the Unique load in his. Right now I'm going with Unique because that's what I have on hand. May try the Trail Boss later.

I thought about some of the trapdoor loads, but I don't know what he can handle yet, so I wanted to start lower and work up. He may be able to handle some of my loads. He wants to shoot a couple to see how he likes them, so you never know. We'll see. Thanks for all the info.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

30 grains of H4198 is more'nuff behind a 405 grain cast...that'll do around 1250 fps or so.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Go to Hodgdon.com and get their load data for the 45-70 trapdoor rifles. If you use cast lead, it shows Trailboss to be at least 200fps slower than anything else. The trailboss was a good suggestion.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Time Hunter wrote:30 grains of H4198 is more'nuff behind a 405 grain cast...that'll do around 1250 fps or so.
The older my shoulder gets, the more I'm moving back to that number :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Good old Unique, you can safely drop down to as little as 6 grains but 10 is a good mild plinking load.
cassog
Levergunner

Post by cassog »

I asked the same question a few weeks back (check out my earlier post) wanted a fairly light, but accurate load for indoor range work - someone suggested 13g of Unique. So I went with that behind a cast 330g swc.
Results in my Pedersoli Sharps cavalry carbine were very good - mild to shoot and very, very accurate. (see photo attached)

Someone else also suggersted 14g Trail Boss. I have some rounds loaded up and am headed to the range tonight to try 'em out.
Will let you know how that load compares with the Unique one.

Take care.

IMG_0878a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by cassog on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
Thees l'il thing? Ees for rabbits!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Alliant lists the following loads for a 24" barrel rifle as cowboy loads.
11 gr of Unique behind a 405 gr cast for 1000 fps, or if you have 300gr bullets you can use 10 gr Unique for 1054 fps up to 15 gr for 1424 fps.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

13 gr Unique.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cassog
Levergunner

Post by cassog »

Hi All,
Just back from the indoor range. As promised, here is how it wenty using 14g Trail Boss.
Very mild load, pleasant to shoot. Not as accurate (in my gun anyway) as the 13g Unique loading, so I'll guess I'll stick to unique.
If you want a mild, fairly accurate load to get someone accustomed to the big round though, the Trail Boss would do admirably.

Take care.
Thees l'il thing? Ees for rabbits!