450 Marlin info needed

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

450 Marlin info needed

Post by dkmlever »

I am responsible for obtaining either with donations or purchases all the guns for my RMEF chapters banquet. (20-23 per year or so) I just bought a Browning BLR Lightweight camo finish in 450 Marlin. I am not that knowledgable about that cartridge. What can you tell me about it?
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

It's basically a belted case that duplicates hot .45-70 loads.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

1. What's the RMEF?

2. To me, the 450 seems like a good way to get what a .45-70 does without having a .45-70; I'm not exactly sure if there is a good reason to do that, other than a new toy :P ...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

.45-70 ammo can't be hot loaded from the factory because of all the old guns floating around that can't handle hot loads. The .450 Marlin ammo being a new cartridge can be hot loaded from the factory.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

This will not be popular...but the .450 Marlin is what the 45-70 would be, if invented today. You can handload or buy souped up 45-70 rounds for modern rifles that can match .450 marlin power...EXCEPT for one thing!! The .450 BLR can be loaded with 350-400gr "X" bullets (or any pointed bullet) making it a bear buster or moose buster(maybe cape buff too) EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!
(except the Ruger #1 or few bolts found in 45-70)
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I don't understand how any pointed bullets can be used in the .450. Except for the chamber, it's exactly the same rifle as the 1895 .45-70.

You sure don't hear much about the .450 in Africa, or even in articles on hunting the great bears.

edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

Swampman wrote:I don't understand how any pointed bullets can be used in the .450. Except for the chamber, it's exactly the same rifle as the 1895 .45-70.

You sure don't hear much about the .450 in Africa, or even in articles on hunting the great bears.
Here's why Ed chose the BLR , It has a box magazine and will allow for ANY .458 bullet to be loaded and used safely. Yes, I love my .444, but this .450 BLR, my friends is a different..."animal".!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

AJMD429 wrote:1. What's the RMEF?

2. To me, the 450 seems like a good way to get what a .45-70 does without having a .45-70; I'm not exactly sure if there is a good reason to do that, other than a new toy :P ...
RMEF....hmmmm.....i was thinking it was the same as REMF,
glad to know the difference!
cable