Do you prefer straight or pistol-grip stocks on your levers?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
prebans
Levergunner

Do you prefer straight or pistol-grip stocks on your levers?

Post by prebans »

Could you help me pick out my new Marlin 45-70 rifle?

Here's the scoop. I prefer the looks of the straight stock but the pistol grip stock feels better to me. That said, I haven't gotten to fire either style of stock. Two people have told me that the straight stock has less felt recoil compared to the pistol grip stock.

That doesn't seem to make sense, but both folks said they tried both in the same sitting. Each said that they took less of a pounding from the straight stock.

FWIW, the rifles in question were an 1895SS (pistol grip stock, 22" barrel, 40.5" overall length, 7.5 lbs, 4-shot tube) and a Marlin 1895GS (straight stock, 18.5" barrel, 37" overall length, 7 pounds, 4-shot tube). Both were fired with the same plain-jane factory loads. Frankly, given the general rule that (all else being equal) a heavier rifle has less recoil than a lighter rifle, you think it'd be the other way around.

Or am I missing something here?

Confused,

Mike
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Do you prefer straight or pistol-grip stocks on your levers?

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

You are missing nothing, but you are ignoring the fact that only you can decide what you like. You like the looks of one, but the feel of the other but haven't fired either.

What you need to do is shoot both yourself. Never mind what I or Paco, or JimT, or Hobie, or anybody else likes, the important thing is what do you like and what do you shoot the best with.

Personally I like the looks and feel of:
> straight stocked lever guns
> pistol grip stocked bolt action rifles and shot guns.
As far as Marlin lever guns go, I have fired both straight stocked and pistol gripped versions and it's not the recoil that bothers me. It's the shape of the stock where it contacts my cheek. The pistol grip stock beats the snot out of my face, the straight gripped ones do not. That is an individual situation that may or may not affect you or others.

What can I say?

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Recoil if very subjective. I can't say I've ever felt a difference between straight or pistol grip styles. I prefer straight because, for me, they come to my shoulder quicker and I get a better natual sight alignment. I've a GS with a straight, and a 444 with a pistolgrip, and while the cartridges are far from equal, neither is unpleasant.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I can't speak from experience, but I've heard just the opposite, that the pistol grip stocks handle recoil better. I like the looks of both, but probably prefer the aesthetics of the straight stock over the pistol grip. I received an 1895GS for Christmas. It has a straight grip and I really like it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

J Miller wrote:Mike,

You are missing nothing, but you are ignoring the fact that only you can decide what you like. You like the looks of one, but the feel of the other but haven't fired either.

(snip)
Joe, I'm not ignoring that at all! :wink: I prefer the looks of the straight stock and the feel of the pistol grip stock. However, I know enough to know that I don't know squat about lever action rifles. That's why I came here to ask if there was something with stock style that I wasnt aware of or didn't understand.

Looks like I really should fire both. I wish I knew where to locate one - much less both - types of stocks on a 45-70 Marlin up here in WI. Lots of 30-30 and the like, but 45-70 just isn't so common in these parts.

Sincerely,

Mike
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

J Miller wrote:Mike,

What you need to do is shoot both yourself. Never mind what I or Paco, or JimT, or Hobie, or anybody else likes, the important thing is what do you like and what do you shoot the best with.

Personally I like the looks and feel of:
> straight stocked lever guns
> pistol grip stocked bolt action rifles and shot guns.
As far as Marlin lever guns go, I have fired both straight stocked and pistol gripped versions and it's not the recoil that bothers me. It's the shape of the stock where it contacts my cheek. The pistol grip stock beats the snot out of my face, the straight gripped ones do not. That is an individual situation that may or may not affect you or others.

What can I say?

Joe
Persactly!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Since I am not sending you any money to buy this Marlin....guess like the others my opinion on what type of stock holds no value either!
:lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like both, but it depends on the gun which one I prefer...

Straight-grip Stocks are for 'carbine' leverguns like the 1894 Marlins.

Curved-grip Stocks are for 'rifle' leverguns like the 336 Marlins.

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D I have both, however I prefer straight grip. Shoot both styles before you buy.....that's all I can help you with. My .02¢.......Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I don't really think it's the straight or curved stock, that affects recoil, it's other things like drop in the stock, cheekpiece weld, recoil pad or other things relating to the shape of the butt plate, gun weight, etc.

And it's a subjective thing, because I consider a straight griped pre-64 30/30 to kick less then a pistol grip Marlin 336, but a friend of mine will argue the other way.

Most of my guns are straight grip, but I have owned many pistol grip guns also. I think I like straight grips better, in general, but that's just me.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'm like Joe, it's a good thing I like the looks of the straight stocked guns better. They don't smack me as hard on the face. To me, most pistol gripped leverguns seem to amplify the recoil.

My shorter wife is the opposite and prefers the pistol grip stocks. You'd think that would be the other way around but there it is. As the others have said, try both, if you can before laying money out.

Edit: Read your other post better. Even a couple 30-30s will tell you which you like better.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I love the look of a straight stock. Now that said I prefer to shoot pistol grips. They are more ergonomically correct leading to less fatigue and better control of the weapon. Just me though.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

Well, this tells me what I need to know. It's 100% a matter of personal preference.

Time to find a pistol grip and a straight stock Marlin 45-70 to try..!

Thank you, all!

Mike
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

prebans wrote:Well, this tells me what I need to know. It's 100% a matter of personal preference.

Time to find a pistol grip and a straight stock Marlin 45-70 to try..!

Thank you, all!

Mike

Ah Mike

You almost drew the correct lever gun solution, which is to GET BOTH. I can't believe these guys let this go on so long without nailing down the dogma. :lol:

I prefer straight grips, something about the ties to the past, and something about the way I carry in the field, and the way I grip the thing and the way I use it.

It's kind of comparing a gloc grip to a 1911 or xd grip. Just a different personal preference.

Two leverguns are better than one, and the market for them isn't going away, you won't be stuck if you strike a good deal to start.

Also, pictures are appreciated once you've aquired the new honey.

Best,

Grizz
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

For me I like a straight stock for a rifle that will need to come up into action quick. If I'm going to have time to settle down and make a deliberate set, the curved grip style is more comfortable. That's just my $.02 worth.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Straight.
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

You have to decide, of course. But since you asked.....

I like the LOOKS of a straight grip far better. Also, since a lever gun is a slim rifle and "fast to the shoulder", I look at its dynamics like a fine shotgun. Theoretically, the experts in that field talk about having both hands in the same plane, working together. They may be right or full of it (I am too lousy a shot to know), but a couple of hundred years of building game guns must have worked something out about proper balance and dynamics.

So, if a rifle or shotgun has a thick bulbous forend, I go with a pistol grip. For a trim forend, like on my Marlin Cowboy, I happily go with the straight grip, making prettier lines to boot.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Lastmohecken wrote:I don't really think it's the straight or curved stock, that affects recoil, it's other things like drop in the stock, cheekpiece weld, recoil pad or other things relating to the shape of the butt plate, gun weight, etc.
JReed wrote: (pistol grips)They are more ergonomically correct leading to less fatigue and better control of the weapon.
I agree with both these statements. On a fast-handling gun, like a lever action or a shotgun, I prefer a straight stock, for more precision on a bolt gun used for hunting I want a pistol grip cut stock for the additional control and the grip positions my hand better to operate the bolt rapidly. On a bolt action target/varmit rifle I like a thumbhole stock for maximum control and I'm not as concerned about speed.

Looks on a wall and performance in your hands are two entirely different things. If I could only buy one I'd try to shoot both styles before I made up my mind. Or you could always buy one and trade it for the other :D , just another joy in messing with guns.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I prefer a pistol grip. Now if the 94 Win. I have was a pistol grip ahhhhh, what love.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:For me I like a straight stock for a rifle that will need to come up into action quick. If I'm going to have time to settle down and make a deliberate set, the curved grip style is more comfortable. That's just my $.02 worth.

That kinda goes along with my 'straight for carbine' and 'curved for rifle' philosophy. I wouldn't whip up that XLR for a jump shot, and would generally carry it to my destination slung over the shoulder, whereas the 1894 stays in my hand during a walk, and is ready for a quick shot.
I've never owned a curved-grip 'carbine' type levergun (...I guess that means I need one... :roll: ), but it would be interesting to see if I liked it; it just seems that straight stock carries afield better one-handed. Probably all in my head, anyway. :wink:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Here's another vote for the "straight stocked carbine, pistol gripped rifle school of thought". I love the looks of a straight grip, but I really feel a pistol grip is more comfortable for shooting. I also really appreciate the pistol grip on my 1895 Marlin in 45-70 for it's better feel of control under the heavy recoil in comparison to the much lighter recoil of my 1894 Marlins (with straight stocks) in 357 and 44 Mag. All this is JMHO, your results may vary. Get which ever (or both) you prefer. Even thought I have a 45-70 rifle, my heart still skips a beat when I look at a Guide Gun.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

It just dawned on me, this is another Mary Ann or Ginger sorta thing. Mary Ann is sorta like a straight stock. Nice lines, and comfy. While a pistol grip is like Ginger. Curvy, and overtly sexy. Funny thing is I'm a straight stock, Mary Ann kinda guy. Wonder if the there is any kind of similar correlation for others?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I vote for the 1895SS 22". I have a 4x Leupold on mine and it feels more like a shotgun kick to me even up to a 350 gr bullet at about 1875 fps. The pistol grip has less felt recoil for me I think because I am more naturally relaxed when shooting that style. I can see that others may be the opposite. I think you have to try both and judge for yourself. I have shot all the types of Marlin except the old cheek piece model. Now the Guide Gun with the ports kicked the least but it is also louder. I haven't tried the non ported model come to think of it. I like the weight and heft of the 1895SS and unlike some others I also like the fat forend which I think gives more comfortable control with recoil, again, personal. Without the scope on it changing the balance it is more punchy in recoil.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Straight or pistol grip doesn't matter to me. As long as I can handle the rifle/shotgun and hit what I'm shooting at I'm ok with either.
ED
Yer never too old
glazer1972
Levergunner

Post by glazer1972 »

Straight.
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

jeepnik wrote:It just dawned on me, this is another Mary Ann or Ginger sorta thing. Mary Ann is sorta like a straight stock. Nice lines, and comfy. While a pistol grip is like Ginger. Curvy, and overtly sexy. Funny thing is I'm a straight stock, Mary Ann kinda guy. Wonder if the there is any kind of similar correlation for others?
Oh, man. This and my liking the feel of the curved stock may explain my relative (lack of) luck and poor choices with women. :lol:

Mike
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

I have somewhat large hands and prefer the pistol grip
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Personal preference, prefer straight on my levers. They just seem to come to the shoulder that bit smarter with the sights in the right place, no jiggling around. Suggest you try both, got any mates with both that will let you have a shot and get the feel.
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning
Anatomy probably has more to do with it than anything.
My right wrist just does not bend like it used to so a pistol grip feels better at a bench.
BUT for just one shot every now & then it just does not matter to my body. I LIKE the extra light wieght and feel of my 92 models straight stocks. I seldom shoot them off a bench. BUT my 86 45-70 hex barrel has a pistol grip and I like the feel of it. With that hunk of steel a couple extra ounces of wood matter little.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I prefer the straight Prince of Wales stock on anything that I wish to shoot quickly,
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

straight grip saddle ring butt. the wood is too fat on marlins.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Straight!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

prebans wrote:Could you help me pick out my new Marlin 45-70 rifle?
Here's the scoop. I prefer the looks of the straight stock but the pistol grip stock feels better to me. That said, I haven't gotten to fire either style of stock. Two people have told me that the straight stock has less felt recoil compared to the pistol grip stock.
That doesn't seem to make sense, but both folks said they tried both in the same sitting. Each said that they took less of a pounding from the straight stock.
FWIW, the rifles in question were an 1895SS (pistol grip stock, 22" barrel, 40.5" overall length, 7.5 lbs, 4-shot tube) and a Marlin 1895GS (straight stock, 18.5" barrel, 37" overall length, 7 pounds, 4-shot tube). Both were fired with the same plain-jane factory loads. Frankly, given the general rule that (all else being equal) a heavier rifle has less recoil than a lighter rifle, you think it'd be the other way around.
Or am I missing something here?
Confused,
Mike
I don't know the answer, nor would I presume to help you pick out your new rifle (I'd buy an 1886 anyway). But, there are also two more factors in recoil. Drop at Comb and Drop at Heel. The angle of the buttplate and the height of the top of the buttstock in relation to the bore can affect felt recoil. Additionally, there are difference in how you hold the particular rifle. And if I recall my factors properly, if the stock is lower, it increases muzzle rise, reducing felt recoil.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Griff, from my experience that depends on the two rifles and I have specific cases that are contradictory of one rule for me. This felt recoil is a funny thing and very individual.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Gary
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gary »

IMHO, you should pick which style you like based on how it feels to you.

Last year, I was in a shop looking for another lever. One cannot have too many levers but, I digress. I compared a beautiful Marlin 336 pistol grip to an older used Model 94 Winchester. I was able to shoulder the Winchester and acquire the sights much faster than the Marlin.

So, I vote straight.