OT --- USPS Rant, It’s Brown From Now On.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT --- USPS Rant, It’s Brown From Now On.

Post by cshold »

I ordered 2 more boxes of 12 ga. Brass shotshells from Buffalo Arms Co. Ponderay ID.
on Feb. 28th.

Detailed Shipping Results:

Electronic Shipping Info Received, March 01, 2010
Processed through Sort Facility, March 02, 2010, 9:36 am, FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003
Processed through Sort Facility, March 11, 2010, 2:09 pm, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19919
Processed through Sort Facility, March 12, 2010, 3:41 pm, HARRISBURG, PA 17107
Hey USPS my mailbox is still waiting. :roll:

Is it just me being impatient and this being a normal delivery time :?:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT --- USPS Rant, It’s Brown From Now On.

Post by jeepnik »

casastahle wrote:I ordered 2 more boxes of 12 ga. Brass shotshells from Buffalo Arms Co. Ponderay ID.
on Feb. 28th.

Detailed Shipping Results:

Electronic Shipping Info Received, March 01, 2010
Processed through Sort Facility, March 02, 2010, 9:36 am, FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003
Processed through Sort Facility, March 11, 2010, 2:09 pm, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19919
Processed through Sort Facility, March 12, 2010, 3:41 pm, HARRISBURG, PA 17107
Hey USPS my mailbox is still waiting. :roll:

Is it just me being impatient and this being a normal delivery time :?:
USPS service had decline since they became a non-governmental entity. Go figure, owned and operated by the AUS government, but not a goverment entity. Politicians, sheesh. It will get worse, they are discussing doing away with Saturday delivery. Heck, I can remember when Red, our postman made two turns around my neighborhood a day. While he was making his first, they would deliver mail for the second to a large green storage box in front of my house.

With lousy service, and it getting worse, it's amazing the fools running it can't figure out why folks are using less and less.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

AND THEY PAY THE SUPERVISORS A BONUS EVERY YEAR!!!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I think the USPS tracking system is just window dressing without the proper backend to make it reliable/possible. They have to be able to say that they have it to remain competitive with UPS and FedEx ... but that doesn't mean it actually has to work. I can't count the number of times that I've had something on its way to me with a USPS tracking number and there was nothing of use in the information until AFTER the item was delivered. Then the next day, all of the tracking information would appear. The USPS is not capable / does not have the equipment or technology to ACTUALLY implement real-time tracking of packages that pass through their system. If it were run by our military, I would bet on it running and tracking properly. Outside of that, it will never happen.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The USPS is not only ill served by its tracking system which is really only a delayed delivery confirmation, but shorthanded compared to the past. Their money goes into fancy executive offices not into the business. Hours are shortened, people lost through attrition and not replaced, etc. This is sadly the standard for parcel post or 1st class.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

USPS delivery confirmation is a facade and a crock. I had an important package of mine delivered to the wrong house---four miles away!!
Luckily a friend lived there and he personally brought the package to me. Look online and sure enough, USPS showed it "delivered."

When I complained (and the shipper complained too, 4000 miles away) we were both met with similar blank stares. :| :| :|

I will not use USPS for anything other than Netflix. I use UPS for packages and the internet for bills.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I use USPS Priority Mail, for everything, and have never had an issue. Usually Pieces Scattered is the one I avoid.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I sent a certified check (to pay for a rifle) Via USPS Priority
Mail. Return receipt Tracking,the works. It cost $8.00 and
took 13 days to get to Illinois from Washington state.

USPS tracking did not show anything for 14 days from the time I sent it. The post master acted like it could have taken longer.
I guess the Mule was sick. :x
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:I sent a certified check (to pay for a rifle) Via USPS Priority
Mail. Return receipt Tracking,the works. It cost $8.00 and
took 13 days to get to Illinois from Washington state.

USPS tracking did not show anything for 14 days from the time I sent it. The post master acted like it could have taken longer.
I guess the Mule was sick. :x

No, I think you had one of the faster pony riders. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I ordered mine on monday of this week and they came USPS priority today (4 days from Mo.) Loaded up three boxes of #9 - 3 drams of ffg, 1 1/8 oz of 9, in my new brass 12 gauge shells that arrived today. I"m looking forward to getting these patterened out of my two (1877 and 1880s) hammer shotguns and my paradox. may be an all BP hunting year this year
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

rjohns94 wrote:I ordered mine on monday of this week and they came USPS priority today (4 days from Mo.) Loaded up three boxes of #9 - 3 drams of ffg, 1 1/8 oz of 9, in my new brass 12 gauge shells that arrived today. I"m looking forward to getting these patterened out of my two (1877 and 1880s) hammer shotguns and my paradox. may be an all BP hunting year this year
Definitely looking forward to making lots of BP smoke with yeah Mike. :D
Will see just how sturdy that pattern frame is. :wink:
With the clock change maybe we can hit the range one evening this
coming week and still have some daylight.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I ordered a book from somewhere in Oklahoma on Friday, they mailed it on Saturday, I got it on Tuesday in Colorado. This is typical of my experience with USPS. I send quite a bit of mail to rural areas in Colorado from my rural area in Colorado. It leaves my P.O. in the evening and is normally delivered the next day. This is regular ol' first class mail. I don't have any complaints.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I use a lot of USPS, and also avoid the brown whenever possible. Never an issue with USPS, but I never get their delivery confirmation since all it is is the carrier scanning it when he drops it off. If he drops it off a bridge he still scans it.

Considering the price is much less for small packages, I think it's a bargain. It's not for larger parcels, but it still works. I'm a little prejudiced since I can pick up packages at my leisure when they're sent to my P.O. Box. If I'm not home when UPS comes, they send the package straight back to the shipper. And they make no effort to get in our building. They couldn't care less out. For me it's USPS.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FWIW, your package may have run afoul of an overzealous anti-gun type who believes your brass is ORMD. Be wary of postal cops...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

jdad wrote:I use USPS Priority Mail, for everything, and have never had an issue. Usually Pieces Scattered is the one I avoid.
+1 at least you do get the item with the postal service, can't say the same for UPS!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Arrived today.
I'm now a happy camper and it's a
great day to load brass. :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome. i am too
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Actually I haven't heard of a good method of sending packages! Not long ago a fellow forumite sent a rifle UPS. Gun arrived damaged. I bought a fishing rod from Cabelas that arrived in two pieces (I bought a one piece rod), via UPS. I orderd some 50 lb. lead in small (1 lb) chunks; pkg arrived with 37 lb of lead and a hole in the box, thanks USPS. Fed Ex brought me a package with a 1" dent in the corner (package was less than 1 lb.) but luckily the scope was triple packaged. So, I don't think there is a truely safe carrier available.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I run a small business. I receive and sent a lot of packages. You can have damage with any carrier, because people are involved. My preferences, based on timely delivery, condition of package and tracking are: UPS, FedEx & USPS. Another little hint. Get to know your delivery person. A cool drink in the summer, a cup of coffee in the winter, and a bathroom break every now and then don't cost you a darned thing. But, the delivery folks are people, and will go the extra mile for someone who treats them well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

It's all good now. :D
Cold wind and rain outside.
A glass of red wine, loading shotshells in a warm dry shop.
Life is good. :wink:
Last edited by cshold on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Completed. :)
Last edited by cshold on Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Lemme know how those work (rifle primers, right?). I've been mulling 16ga brass...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Well, it's good you got your stuff. I won't make any excuses for USPS, but I once had Brown leave a muzzleloader kit lying in the flower bed next to my front door. I was gone for the holidays at the time. The box laid covered in snow for a week and a half till I came home and found it. :evil: Luckily there was no damage to the contents. :o
prebans
Levergunner

Post by prebans »

Guys, I'm a FFL and a Class III dealer. You want problems with delivery services..?

1. FEDEX: Four cases (7.62x39) of ammunition went missing. The last tracking scan was at the origin. This was during the obama scare, so you can bet that I paid a LOT more money than normal for that ammo.

2. FEDEX: Sound suppressor (silencer) went missing. Had to call BATFE, which is always fun. Report filed. Suppressor turned up in Oregon (it was shipped from Idaho, so I'm really confused). Funny how FedEx overnighted it at no additional cost...

3. UPS: Submachine gun went missing. It started from a dealer in the midwest and the next scan was in MONTANA headed toward CANADA. (The destination was Arizona.) :shock: It got turned around QUICKLY and eventually made its way to me about two weeks later. This was a personal "dream gun," so I was MAD.

4. FEDEX: Sent a USAS-12 (think of a M16 in 12 gauge) barrel from WI to MO. It was sent sig required. The driver SIGNED FOR THE PACKAGE HIMSELF because he was being LAZY and left it at the wrong house across town. Thankfully the homeowners were honest and called FEDEX to pick up the barrel.

5. USPS: Was receiving a GSG-5PK that had a shoulder stock and was registered as a short barrel rifle (NFA/Class III) for a customer. It was sent sig required. The driver SIGNED FOR THE PACKAGE HIMSELF because he was being LAZY and left it on my stoop. My stoop is in full view of I-94 going direct to Chicago AND in full view of a public bus stop that goes from here (good area of town) to the ghetto. I was gone from 6am until 1am THE NEXT DAY. Thankfully it was still there.

6. UPS: Left a semiauto AK47 leaning up on my back stoop. (See above for a description of why this is bad.) The sender "forgot" to insure and sig require the package, plus he never told UPS that he was shipping a firearm. Oops- federal law violation there. Any how, it was gone when I came back. Called BATFE. BATFE called the local police, the Illinois police (standard practice because our stolen guns go south to IL), Chicago police (again, standard practice) and Washington police (the origin point). They also notified the BATFE stolen gun HQ at national in WV. Local BATFE offices here, in Illinois, and in Washington state were called. Thankfully the rifle was found. My NEIGHBOR saw it, saw kids at the bus stop eyeing it, secured it in his garage, and then went off to work two double shifts. He forgot to notify me and crashed into bed when he got home. (Steel worker who was working mandatory overtime - I don't hold it against him at all.) The sender's failure to follow standard procedure AND federal law caused four police agencies and four federal agencies across four states clear across the country (from WA to WV) to stuff in their shorts. There's an impolite term (I'll leave it to your imagination) to describe this. Any how, the sender - A FFL! - got a very stern discussion over this disaster.

There are more that I'm forgetting or that I'm purposefully blocking from my brain right now.

Mike
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Old Ironsights wrote:Lemme know how those work (rifle primers, right?). I've been mulling 16ga brass...
Large pistole primers.