Way, way OT - another strange sighting

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Way, way OT - another strange sighting

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, I know I am hopelessly behind the times. I fully admit it. In fact, I'm proud of it.

So, I am at the airport today, starting the weekly ritual, and a guy in front of me goes to lift his sweatshirt off to get through security. When he does, his regular shirt raises up too, and he has a large tattoo on the small of his back.

I've seen these on plenty of women, but never on a man. Looked just like the ones women wear.

Tattoos aren't my thing, but I can see them on the arm, especially commemerating military service. But isn't sporting one on the small of the back rather effeminate?

Yep, I am hopelessly behind the times, and want to stay that way... :roll:
Hobie

Re: Way, way OT - another strange sighting

Post by Hobie »

And so many of the tattoos are purely affectation as they've don't really relate to the tattooed's life. The only tattoo I like involves military bands. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:The only tattoo I like involves military bands. :wink:
Dittos on that!

I think that means he is a little light in the loafers....

Have you seen some of the guys that fight in the UFC and MMA?
Its a good time to be in the Tattoo Business...
We just had bike week here and we normally see a ton of tats...
but it was so ccold this past week, everyone was bundled up in
their leather gear...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Not too big on tattoos myself, but to each his own. Having said that, there are some places I consider to be more "manly" to have one put than others. The small of the back, the ankle, and around the naval are three of the most feminine places I can think of.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Was in the Billings MT Cabelas, in line to pay for some stuff. In front of me was Joe Biker Dude and his bikerette. She was wearing a sleeveless leather vest. On her shoulder was inscribed " Ray's Bitch" !! :shock:

How the devil is she going to explain that to her granddaughter?
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

I just could never muster that level of commitment to art.

After all... my calendar has a picture for every month...........
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

shooter wrote:Not too big on tattoos myself, but to each his own. Having said that, there are some places I consider to be more "manly" to have one put than others. The small of the back, the ankle, and around the naval are three of the most feminine places I can think of.
Actually it used to be n old saiolor superstition that tattoos of a rooster on the ankles would prevent drowning.

For years i went back and forth on tattoos. If I was drunk enough to think it was a good idea, there'd be not tattoo parlor handy. if there was a tattoo parlor handy, I'd be too sober to think it was a good idea.

Finally about threee years ago I got one. In fact, Marcia and I got them at the same time. Hers was a Scorpio symble on her chest, mine a
Square and Compasss on my right forearm.

If I can get into my PhotoBucket account, i'll post a photo
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't understand the fascination with them. No tattoos on me, just scars to remind me of stupid things I have done.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

As I approach 59, I think I might get a foreboding-looking "Molon Labe" on one forearm and perhaps a biker tat of some sort, or another gun related theme on the other.....what the heck, eh? Good work is ok, but those sloppy gang/prison/cheap tats are a disgrace.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I only have one and that is for my fallen son. I do, however, have a tee shirt that says on the back, "Scars are tattoos with better stories". :wink:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

This should help answer your question.

Lower Back Tattoo..Play-uh not Player
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

Discreet tattoos are fine with me. Personal choice, I guess. Some are very meaningful to people, as written above. However, I do think that some young folks are making lifetime decisions that they may regret later, like those with their arms and necks covered in body art who hope to find a job in the professional world. But again, personal choice. Just don't whine later when its tough to find a job because of it. As long as everyone is accountable for their decisions, great. Also, some of the more elaborate designs I see are going to look a whole lot different when the person gets older. They'll know what I mean when the design they put on their neck or chest is behind their belt buckle one day. And, since when did the Japanese or Chinese alphabet characters get so popular?

A very wise woman I know once referred to lower back tatoos on females as "tramp stamps." I had a good time this morning coming up with a list of labels for what they might be referred to when they are on a man. I wish I could list them here, but they cross the line.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A very wise woman I know once referred to lower back tatoos on females as "tramp stamps."
Wise? I think not. Judgemental is the best I can do and stay within the rules :wink: I wonder how many Wives, Daughters, and Granddaughters you insulted just then? Most of them are guilty of nothing more that iffy judgement, and the inability to look ahead 30 or 40 years :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

I don't have any tats myself. But have seen many that were tastefully done and looked good. My son has a tat on his back, I asked why on your back ? You can't even see it to appreciate it yourself. No good answer other than "that's where I wanted it". My daughter has one on her back also, and NO she is not a tramp, works in the medical profession as radiological technician ( rad tech). Also have a friend with tats on her ankle of a black rose, in rememberance of mourning for her late husband, she is 62, also not a tramp. There are several people in our church who have tats, most of them from their younger, wilder days, and they are fine people. So I think sticking a label on every one as a "tramp stamp" is a bit judgemental, get to know the person first.
UNITE
Tumbleweeds II
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tumbleweeds II »

The only way to be sure a man is gay is to sleep with him. I saw a guy once who had the Corvette crossed flags across his shoulder blades, under a Harley Davidson symbol. It didn't look sissy at all, and in fact looked pretty American. Barry Goldwater even had some Indian tatoos, and I don't remember any talk about his masculinity.

As for the ink stains, I think they are covered under the First Amendment. I also think a young person looking for a trade could do worse than learn the tatoo removal business.
Formerly known as "Tumbleweeds"
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

And I keep asking myself if you are really REALLY sure it was a man in front of you...were you flying out of SanFrancisco? :lol:

Ed
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

There are obviously some very sheltered people who have no idea where lower back tattoos got their raunchy start. :shock:

Personally, I'm saddened every time I see one of those abominations on an otherwise wonderful young lady. :(

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Bogie35 wrote:There are obviously some very sheltered people who have no idea where lower back tattoos got their raunchy start. :shock:

Personally, I'm saddened every time I see one of those abominations on an otherwise wonderful young lady. :(

bogie
Geez B, why don't you just spit it out.

Personally, I think that getting a tatoo comes from a deep seated desire to be "punctured", and conventional wisdom says that there's 99% chance that a female with a tatoo has been. Yes, even your baby girl.

I can't say what the statistic is for males, but in my lexicon, tatoos and earrings on men say "Alternative Life-style".

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.