Rebarreling a lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gudlif
Levergunner

Rebarreling a lever gun

Post by gudlif »

Gentlemen and ladies,

Several years ago I looked at a Rossi/Puma model 92 45 Colt clone. Looked for one a long time and found it out of state so grabbed it with no second thought. Got a lemon. The chamber looks like it was cut with a spade bit in a hand power drill. In order to make this gun a shooter it needs a new barrel properly chambered.

Does anyone have experience with approximate costs for chambering, bluing, and installing a new barrel on a lever gun?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Gudlif
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Rebarreling a lever gun

Post by mescalero1 »

I can hook you up.
They are retired, but will do one if I ask them to.
Hope to get back within the next month, will inquire.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Simplest would be to find a good barrel made for your gun, rather than a blank that needs to be chambered and set up.

I had a gunsmith do a barrel swap on a Winchester 94, from 30-30 to a new factory barrel in 38-55. He charged me $15. I've swapped them myself, using friends tools, it isnt hard to do if the barrel is made for the gun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

And there is always Steve Young of Steve's Gunz although shipping would be involved.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Hobie wrote:And there is always Steve Young of Steve's Gunz although shipping would be involved.
Or, you could call Rossi and see if they will sell you one and then have a local smith install it.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gudlif
Levergunner

Post by gudlif »

Thanks for the responses.

My question concerned the economics of a new barrel. I am attempting to determine the approximate relative cost of a new barrel or buying the Marlin 45 Colt gun.

I am not a CAS shooter and have no interest in that game. The Rossi barrels have a 30" twist so are no good for stabilizing heavy 454 bullets. So if I go the route of a new barrel it will be a 16" twist and a minimum chamber.

That is why I asked if anyone has experience with having a new barrel made for a carbine.

Gudlif