OT - Got the 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

OT - Got the 1911

Post by 86er »

I have a relative that always carried a Colt .45 when I was a kid. I distinctly remember the butt sticking out of his pants and the "COLT 45" written on the bottom of it. In my recent search to get a 1911 of my own I called to ask him what he had and to get his thoughts on it. Well as it turned out, it was carried for 25 years during a career as a CIA Agent. The story was told to me that in 1970 he went to Hartford to the Colt plant to have a gun made. His friend there put together a gun for him and it was personally sold to him at the factory the next day. He demanded the "new" slide that was marked Colt's Combat Commander, but he wanted it on an alloy frame. Another specification was that the gun be "all black, including the barrel". I was told he was near the Colt factory again in 1975 and stopped in to visit with his friend. They looked at his gun and discussed the hard use and many rounds it had seen. His buddy at Colt, (Dave) really recommended a steel frame to replace the alloy frame. He agreed to have his slide and all original parts fitted to a new steel frame. In that configuration it was carried for another 20 years. He said the gun has 5000 -6000 round through it. He fired hardball for practice and carried SuperVel exclusively. Towards the end of our conversation, he said "why, do you want that gun"? He doesn't have any guns now and lives in the Carribean so I had no idea it still existed. Well, nearly 20 years ago he disassembled the gun and coated it with Vasoline, wrapped it in wax paper and then plastic and put it in an ammo box. It was buried in his friends backyard (in case he ever wanted it again)! I had someone get it and send it to me. What I found was a nearly mint pistol but the grips were totally ruined. Somehow the vasoline ate the grips (that were wrapped separately). He told me there were 3 Colt magazines in the box but there was only one blued magazine with no markings on it. (I think he can't remember about the mags but probably figured they were good one's and gave them to his friend). I degreased the gun, put it together and went out to buy mags and grips. I found 2 Wilson Combat mags and a set of checkered Colt grips in the "Junk Bucket" of a local gun shop. Total for all of them was $40. I fired a box of hardball ammo and a box of Golden Sabre's. Works like a charm. I e-mailed Colt about this and told them I "inhereted" serial # so and so and what could they tell me. The return e-mail is very interesting. In part and substance it reads:

In April, 1970 and undisclosed client appeared at our Hartford facility. The pistol supplied in a direct sale had original serial # 70SCXXX. This was a pistol assembled by our gunsmith shop from components picked from the floor by our client. The gun was a Combat Commander in 45 ACP caliber fitted with smooth rosewood grips. The client specified the pistol to be "completely black". On February 21, 1975 the same client presented himself at our plant. The pistol was examined and the client was reconvenienced with a new steel frame bearing serial # 70BSXXX to keep the numbers of the original serial number.

I've ordered some thin, uncheckered rosewood grips as it originally had, and a ClipDraw to go with them. After a two decade vacation, this gun is back to work
Last edited by 86er on Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Got the 1911

Post by dr walker »

That's a great story. Looks like a fine gun that should serve you well.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very kewl Joe. Nice to have it come from the family. Blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That's my idea of a firearm. All business.

Congratulations, Joe. May it serve you well.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :mrgreen: Cool !! Best of luck !!

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Joe,
One of the members of our collector group is Lowell Pauli. He is the Historian, for the Colt Collectors Association. He has attempted to collect every pistol model variant produced. I'm sure he would be thrilled to hear your story and see pictures.

I'll PM you his phone number and email.

David
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

That's fantastic plus it comes with family history.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Wow!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Very nice.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

piller wrote:Very nice.
me too.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

That's a nice gun, with quite a story behind it. I have a Springfield that is almost identical in configuration, except for a ambi-safety, (I am lefthanded), and I have Wilson checkered grips on mine. It is my favorite carry gun.

Mine has the lighter alloy frame, like his originally did. The old Colt Lightweight alloy frames were known to develope cracks, after about 5000 rounds, and the alloy feed ramps sometimes got beaten up over time, by the ends of the bullets hitting the ramp, in the cycling process. I wonder if he eventually had problems with the allow frame, which caused the second visit to Colt, and the second frame being all steel.

At any rate, I bet he missed the lighter weight of the alloy frame, after he had it changed out to steel. By the way, I see his has the original low profile GI sights, so does mine. All of my other 1911's have higher profile sights, but for CCW carry, I much prefer the old GI sights like your gun has because a Lightweight commander really carrys pretty good, without a holster, by just sticking it in your wastband, where most modern day 1911's with higher profile front sights can eaisly hang up on a shirt tail, those GI's won't hang on anything. I usually use a holster, but sometimes it is so handy to just stuff it in the my waistband, when traveling, and getting out for a short stop, etc.

Those Wison magazines are top quality, but if you want a flush fitting magazine for CCW, Chip McCorimicks have worked very well for me, and they are good quality also.
NRA Life Member, Patron
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

That is way cool. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Since Vasoline is a petrolium (oil) by product, it would have soaked the Rosewood in that time.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Joe, very happy and excited for you. Sounds like a very nice 1911!!!!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That is a great story and a great gun with a great history.

SuperFine!

I use Kimber 8 rnd flush mags in my 1911 and so far they work perfectly.

Grizz
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Saving a fine gun to shoot another day! Awesome Joe - congratulations!!!
Halfbreed
Levergunner

Post by Halfbreed »

Family history makes that gun priceless... at least to you and your prodigy, keep it in the family. I have a WWII Arisaka rifle and a Jap Cavalry Saber inherited from my Dad who acquired these shortly after their surrender in September 1945, they are both priceless to me though probably not worth much collector wise due to Dad having the Arisaka Mum ground completely smooth, the action polished, and reblued beautifully back in the late 50s.
What a treasure, and being used the way it should be, congratulations Joe. :wink:
For all the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope. Romans 15:4
All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness. 2Timothy 3:16
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Aussie Chris »

That is a cool story....bet you won't be selling that one in a hurry :mrgreen:

Would Colt still do that these days you think? I would love to 'make my own' 1911a1 :twisted:
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Very nice - I especially like the Colt email/letter details, as it shows how they took care of a customer.

I too, prefer a 1911 over all other auto-pistol configs - and the Commander variation most of all. (Although I switch to & use a flat MSH)

It looks like it's ready for YOUR back pocket ! ;) :mrgreen:

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

A gun with a history very nice, enjoy using it!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very Nice Joe! :mrgreen: Nice story also!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

And the warhorse goes on. That's really neat, Joe. I'd have to change out the grip safety for a beavertail as the web of my hand tends to ride over the standard and I get hammer bit, even with the bobbed hammer. With the standard hammer I'm bleeding after the first shot.
Old Law Dawg
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

That thing would be handy if you run into one of those four horned devil goats.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great story and shooter!
To me, the best guns are the one with family history!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great story and makes the colt priceless, even the letter corroborating the story for non believers.
This is my version of the priceless colt, may have been some of the same places as yours. I got it from a Master Sergeant that was on my team a few years before he retired and put the grips on it in 2002 when the DOD stopped letting us carry our own toys overseas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

Great story... and you got the VERY best autoloading pistol in history. I have an 80Series Combat Commander that was an insurance replacement for my 70Series that was stolen in 1982.

The departmental gunsmith ramped it to feed my 200 grain HPs, 185gr RN & SWCs... I carried it as my off-duty and UC gun for years. The CC, especially with the steel frame is the perfect blend of balance and power. The aluminum frame is, indeed, lighter, but has been known to develop problems in hard, continuous use. Colt did your relative, & now you, a huge favor in rebuilding it.

Gosh, I even have the brand, new wood grips that came on it... I've had Pachmyrs on it since day one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Wow, don't get any better than that. What a gun, what a story!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great gun Joe, hope you enjoy it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Paladin, if I didn't know better I'd almost say you have my Officer's Model. I looked through my photos and I don't have a pic. I'll try and rectify that soon.
Old Law Dawg
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

86er, man am I envious! Love the CCC's! What a really nice piece, and the family connection makes it even more special. I feel confident it will become one of your most favored handguns. Congratulations and enjoy.

I've had a few Combat Commanders over the years and always felt they were the most practical 1911 carry example for someone of my stature and body type. Suppose I'll have to go on a hunt for one now that I've seen your fine Commander. Like lastmohecken, the only change will be for an ambidextrious safety (original factory Colt type) as I'm also a lefty. Seeing it has brought back many fond memories of earlier times in my life. Thanks for that.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.