OT: Ever get your vehicle serviced at Jiffy Lube?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Montanan
Levergunner 1.0

OT: Ever get your vehicle serviced at Jiffy Lube?

Post by Montanan »

You may want to sit down and view this if you had ever used them....

http://mfile.akamai.com/12924/wmv/vod.i ... 3.200k.asx
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Another reason for us all to support our local, independent, businessmen! If you live in an area where the big chain stores have put the mom & pop groceries, gas stations & five & dimes out of business, you know exactly what I'm talkin' about! :evil:

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The company I work for requires us to use Jiffy Lube to service our company vehicles, but I wouldn't take a Tonka truck to them myself!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a bunch of crooks. They should be prosecuted.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I have worked in this industry as a service manager, (not Jiffy Lube,) and this kind of junk is rampant through the industry. I have seen it and heard abouth the scams in person!!! A local guy will treat you `100% better. That is where I take my vehicles to. Even the dealers are much better than this!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I take my vehicles to the only one I have learned to trust. ---myself . Except for state inspections, wheel alignments or the rare once -every- two-years gremlin, I just pull that baby in the garage and get out the tools.

Put a clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder in my old daily driver '89 yj last month. It was no picnic, but the job was done right.
Last edited by Sixgun on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Another reason for us all to support our local, independent, businessmen! If you live in an area where the big chain stores have put the mom & pop groceries, gas stations & five & dimes out of business, you know exactly what I'm talkin' about!"
--CenterShot

Yup, I sure do. The local independent auto repair shop is one of the biggest crooks around.

Myself & others I know have been billed for work not done. It took 3 service appointments for them to service the automatic transmission on my 1995 GMC. After "discussing" the matter w/ the manager, he very reluctantly agreed to a complete refund, esp. after I showed him the paperwork indicating that the 3rd servicing included work that was supposedly done the 1st time.

They also charged one female customer $125.00 to change a fuse!

In another case, my neighbor heard a noise in the front end shortly after his truck was there for service. Took it back to the local guy who charged him about $100.00 to look @ it, estimate the work, etc. He was told that he needed a whole new front end, but they "could work a deal on the price" since it was an expensive job. My neighbor, smelling a BS story, got a second opinion from a nearby Chevy dealer. To make along story short, my neighbor got a call from the Chevy dealer about 45 minutes after he dropped the truck off. Seems as if the one of the front axle grease caps was loose & vibrating & the other had fallen off, causing the noise. The Chevy dealer re-installed the caps & not a problem or any noise since. It was until my neighbor threatened to call the Sate inspectors, that the local independent gave him a complete refund.

Dishonesty is everywhere & cuts across all types of businesses.....
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Now why isn't that against the law? The only penalty is give back what you stole? And we wonder what's wrong with this world...

I guess it just costs too much tax money to hold people accountable for their misbehavior. :wink:

Sincerely,
bogie
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

I went to one many years ago and they pulled a similar stunt- with my brand new Jeep that had 5,000 miles.
They charged me 1.95 for a new oil drain plug and then could not produce the one they had "replaced".
Afterwards, I looked at it and saw it was obviously not new. It still had a little undercoating and dirt on it just like the rest of my jeep underside.
They got the extra 2 bucks, but lost my future business and recommendation.
otteray
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I used to be a mechanic in my civilian life. With all the horror stories I have seen and heard I will never take a vehicle there. But then again I try and do all my own work if I can. If you want it done right do it your self :wink: .
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I actually like my Local Jiffy Lube.....Old Manny has been boss there for years and he is my customer, too.....It's WallyWorld that I'll never take anything back for a oil change again.......They are crooks!!!!!!!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I always thought Jiffy Lube was pretty intelligent for digging a hole in the ground rather than lifting up the cars.

I have noticed that they are very aggressive in replacing obscure fluids, power steering, differential, etc., and the replacement is not cheap, usually $30.00. But I believe the work was always done.

At any chain you will get some managers with no scruples. What about the Taco Bell that ran out of meat and sent someone to the grocery store to pick up a case of dog food? Anyway, sometimes an ambitious manager will push the limits.

I've had worse luck with independents. How about the first time I changed the sparkplugs on my grandmother's car. The sixth plug was harder than hell to get out, due to the air conditioner bracket. I finally got that off, removed the spark plug, and found it was extremely dirty, and a different brand from the other 5.

Out here in CA I had a heck of a time finding an honest mechanic. Two guys each replaced my timing belt within a month, which wasn't the problem to begin with. They just couldn't diagnose the problem, and didn't care to try. I finally I did find an honest and knowledgeable mechanic and that's the biggest reason I don't want to move out of the state right now.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Like Jeremy, I've been a mechanic in the past so I like to think I'm fairly savvy.

I don't let anyone do work for me that I can do for myself which is almost everything. I don't care for the quick-lube places because most of their "techs" (using the term loosely) are clueless in my experience. I actually had to climb down into the pit to show them where the grease fittings were on my driveline! :roll:

They make more money on other services than the lube. That's why they push them so hard.
bfm
Levergunner

Post by bfm »

A couple decades ago I worked at a gas station that was three blocks down from a jiffy lube. At least once a month we had someone pull in and say the oil light was on even though they just had an oil change at jiffy lube. We learned to immediately have them pull over to a corner so they would not make too big an oil slick in front of the pumps as there was normally no drain plug and the oil was spilling out.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

BlaineG wrote:I actually like my Local Jiffy Lube.....Old Manny has been boss there for years and he is my customer, too.....It's WallyWorld that I'll never take anything back for a oil change again.......They are crooks!!!!!!!!
+1 on WallyWorld

One time they were supposed to perform the free tire rotation on my Buick. They didn't. Another time they balanced one of those same tires, failing to notice that the belts were coming apart and it was about to blow. They're cheaper, but they're also slower and incompetent. I think their auto service department is also made in China!

Sincerely,
bogie
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

After they charged me $45.00 for changing my oil, I never went back. They have a bunch of "hidden cost."
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Sixgun wrote:I take my vehicles to the only one I have learned to trust. ---myself . Except for state inspections, wheel alignments or the rare once -every- two-years gremlin, I just pull that baby in the garage and get out the tools.

Put a clutch, pressure plate and slave cylinder in my old daily driver '89 yj last month. It was no picnic, but the job was done right.
Me too. Like my dear ol' Daddy used to say, "If you want it done right, do it yourself."

Been doing maintenance and repairs myself for over 40 years now. Repairs (at least diagnosis) are more complicated with todays computerized cars, but they do seem to require fewer repairs than the cars of my youth.
45-70-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 45-70- »

Wow, that really stinks. I do everything that I can myself. Just did a brake job yesterday on my wife's 06 Freestyle. That wasnt fun but with the help of the internet I did it.

If we all share that video we can get a little back from Jiffy Lube for all those they stiffed. I cant imagine their business growing with a video like that circling the internet.
I am a salty, old, retired Chief Petty Officer who is not impressed by much.

"We're surrounded, that simplifies our situation." Chesty Puller

Member of Marlin Firearms forum '02-'04
Member of Marlin Talk forum '04-?
Member of original Leverguns forum '04-'07
Member of new Leverguns forum '07-?
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

oil changes

Post by brucew44guns »

I was witness one time to a lube guy at a station, he forgot to put the drain plug back in. He poured in 5 qts. of oil, all of it going on the floor. It was noticed before he started the engine. So they raised the car back up, and used a dust pan to scoop up most of the oil off the floor, pouring it into a drain pan, then re-pouring that dirt littered mix of oil into the guys engine. 5 qts of oil, no doubt at that time less than a buck a quart, was more than those people could own up to and do the customer an honest job. I have never paid for an oil change in 48 years of owning a car. I hope Jiffy lube goes broke now.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

By the time I buy a filter & oil plus drive somewhere to dispose of the oil, I'd rather pay the $14.95 to have it done. I usually sit in the break area and watch through the window while they work. They check & service all the fluids, and sometimes rotate the tires for the same money. At Walmart they vacum out the car too.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Scammed

Post by budliteguy »

Dont ever fall for the Transmission flush, it may get out the old fluid but it does not flush out the filter like they say. its a rip off. I have been a mechanic for 25 years and I always have treated the customer like I was working on my own car. But you do have alot of crooks out there wanting to make a quick buck, dealerships and chain stores are the worst. It is better to find a small family owned shop, ask around and most of the time if the customer is treated right he will be back. You have to look at who was running them Jiffy lubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and the district manager. Abdul or what ever his name was. Tells you what this country has come too.