Bullet Casting Pics (long)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Bullet Casting Pics (long)

Post by Sixgun »

Dudes,
First, Ysable Kid---You know that real fine and neat casting table you just built? This is what its gonna look like. :D Can't be helped. :cry:

Anyway, if you boys like to shoot, this is what 'ya gotta do. Make bullets 'till the cows come home! I turned the furnace on at 5 last night and cleaned up by 9:15. I use two moulds at the same time and use a small fan to keep one mould cool while I'm filling the other. I keep a casting pot that holds 30 pounds of alloy melted next to me so I never run out of molten lead. I water quench everything because it hardens the bullets and its just plain easier as I don't have to worry about damaging bases while dropping the bullets from the mould.

Alloy used here was 50% Linotype/50% wheelweights. Comes out with a Saeco hardness of 9.5 which is a little harder than Lyman #2. The smaller bullets are 32 cal. at 190 grains for NRA silhouette shot out of a 1907 produced 1894 in 32 Spl. but also work well in 32-40's. The larger bullet is designed for the .405 Winchester but I size it down for my Hi-Wall in 40-82 and weighs in at 300 grains. Both are gas check designs.

The white sprue opener (in first pic, next to furnace) is made from a chunk of hard white industrial plastic. Best I have used in over 30 years.

In addition to the overhead flouresent light, you will see (first pic) another lamp aimed at the furnace for maximun visibility.

There are 1000 .32 cal. bullets (4 cavity mould) and 500 40-82's (2 cavity mould). Both moulds are made by NEI. These bullets shoot out of leverguns and the Hi-Wall like a scoped bolt gun.

Now, I wanna see you younguns get to casting! :D

Table at end of casting session.
Image,

small fan (wheel fan in front--its running)
Image,

water quenching (There are two buckets--one for each type bullet)

end result

close up of 40/300 & 32/190
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Right now I am slowly gathering a stock pile of lead. I need to start looking at some casting goodies so I can start putting it to use. Thanks for sharing that is cool.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Great post! I love pictures of casting setups.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Bullet Casting Pics (long)

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:...You know that real fine and neat casting table you just built? This is what its gonna look like. :D Can't be helped. :cry:
Is that ever a true statement:
And that's BEFORE a casting session! :shock:
I just finished putting a new air compressor on the work truck, and now have two days to cast for the summer and do a little shootin'. Hoping to wring out some PP boolits in the Sharps.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Funny, I can't wait for mine to look like it is being well-used! Especially if I get the same kind of results!!! :D
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It looks like a mad scientists laboratory! :P

I just did my loading room over... or at least I straightened up and made a big new bench. I made sure I took pictures of it nice and clean so when these type threads come up in the future, I can post nice clean organized photos that will drive everyone mad! (and not the horror show that it will no doubt become in short order.) :lol:
Slow is just slow.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ewww.... jeeeze Jack, what the heck is that in the jar? :shock:

Slow is just slow.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Sixgun
What does the Saeco 9.5 equal in BNH numbers?

Nice setup, I'm a newby caster myself, boy there's a lot to learn, but it's fun.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

handirifle wrote:Sixgun
What does the Saeco 9.5 equal in BNH numbers?

Nice setup, I'm a newby caster myself, boy there's a lot to learn, but it's fun.
Handirifle, There is no real correlation between bnh and Saeco. Saeco's scale goes from 1-10 for 99% of what we will ever handle. The bnh scale up to about 18-20 is about most of what we will ever handle. Saeco's scale of 8 is about equal to bnh of 15 or equal to Lyman #2 alloy, all of which is an excellent alloy for rifle shooting to 2K or a bit more. This all sounds confusing but if I can get it, anyone can.

In simple terms, wheelweights with about 2% tin added will do anyone for 98% of their shooting needs. The blackpowder crowd (BPCR) usually likes their stuff at 20-1 to around 30-1 (pure lead/tin) while the muzzleloading crowd uses pure lead.

My suggestion to all potential bullet casters is to first get a Lyman Cast Bullet Loading Manual. Study it real well. Its great for the beginner and the advanced. After you learn this book, get Veral Smiths manual. It will teach you anything you will ever need to know. Veral has items in there I have yet to comprehend and many that are easy for an Italian like me.

My e-mail is available to anyone who has questions on casting. I have learned a bit over the years and enjoy passing it on. I'm no Veral Smith but in my little world, I can get by with what I have learned.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cas wrote:Ewww.... jeeeze Jack, what the heck is that in the jar? :shock:

Glen, You never fail to amaze me with your computer skills. :D Next to Terry Murbach, you 'da man!!! Hey, off the subject, we gotta get to thinking about our fun weekend, maybe stretch it out an extra day or so. I'm gettin' a little itchy on this---Homefront? you there? Lets talk.------------------------Jack
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

I think I'm here.

Don't rush it fellas!

My head is in a state right now, and while I have every intention of working on the World Famous Eastern Levergunners Fun Shoot and Barbeque, I still need a little time. Just going to work is a challenge, and my wife and I are trying to accept and adjust to our new reality.
This was my idea, and I have every intention of seeing it through. Gimme time to jump some hurdles.

Charley
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Charley, You don't have to over-anylyze (or however you spell that word)All we have done in the past is bring our tents and our guns along with good attitudes. Food? easy to figure out. Food is available everywhere----------------Sixgun
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Ok, Jack.

I don't mind if you want to handle it, I have enough on my plate.

Edit:
My heart is in the right place, my head is not. Sometimes half the fun of doing something is preparing it, so please go ahead and plan this thing. I look forward to the announcement.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

"What" usually takes care of itself. The "Where" is the biggest issue.
Slow is just slow.