Dixie "Tri-ball" 12 gauge shells

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Dixie "Tri-ball" 12 gauge shells

Post by Stan in SC »

One of my customers came by the shop today to continue a discussion we had started several weeks ago concerning a company in Florida called "Dixie Slugs".They make a hard cast slug and in addition they market a load called "Tri-ball" which consists of three .600 hard cast round balls loaded in tandem in a three inch 12 gauge shell.He was kind enough to bring me a 5 pack of them to test.He advised that the recoil was quite noticeable.
I went to the company website via Google and it was quite interesting.In their forum section there was a photo of a deer hit in the neck with the tri-ball load.I notice in the published ballistics they do not show results past 60 yards and in truth that would be absolute maximum range I would try these.
I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with these or other brand multi large ball loads?I am going to "The Box of Truth" right now to see if there are any results of this nature.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Dixie "Tri-ball" 12 gauge shells

Post by Nath »

Stan, me and a pal made our own many years ago now. They were crude but very impressive.

2 2/3" case and herco powder. With thin wadding and IIRC .54 balls x three with black tea as a packer!

I remember a railway sleeper at a paced 50 paces and all three balls being with in four inch of each other (may of been less), this is all from memory and so,,,,

I do mean to revisit and try again some time. One of them in the side of a deer would be a winner for sure.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

I found nothing in The Box of Truth about multi ball loads.I'll give these some test on my next range trip.Supposedly,from what I am told,the load was developed primarily for hog hunting.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The point that stuck in my mind all them years ago was that I would prefere a developed load of this over buck shot for hunting purposes.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

James from Dixie posts on Shooters forum often.

Don
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

My brother lives in a "shotgun only" hunting area.....the tri-ball hit like Thor's Hammer!!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts