45-70 pistol varmint pistol :-) only six pounds

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

45-70 pistol varmint pistol :-) only six pounds

Post by preventec47 »

he says it feels like a 357 mag when shot ? ? ?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/video/player ... =12&vid=63
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: 45-70 pistol varmint pistol :-) only six pounds

Post by nemhed »

I had a Contender with a 45-70 barrel, it did not feel like a .357! :o
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

As many of y'a;; now, i'm no great fan of rifle caliber handguns. The only .45-70 handgun I've ever shot was a14" T/C Contender. IIRC I shot some standard factory 350 gr. JHP's. Recoil was stout but easily controlable.
i don't rmember the name of the revolver, but i remember when that .45-70 handcannon was introduced in the late 1980's. As the fellow said it was virtually hand made. looks as if they are getting set up to mass produce these revolvers. i don't want one, but I wish them well.

The spokesman, a very ill-prepred spokesan I might add,said the revolver weighted six pounds. My old Marlin Guide Gun weighted 6.75 pounds. Recoil in that rifle was pretty darned stout. With 350 or 405 grain factory loads it was not uncomfortble, but it is much heavier than a .357 Magnum. Now if the man had specified:
'Shooting this hand cannon with 350 grain standard velocity factory lods is no more painful than shooting Cor-Bon .357 magnum 180 gr. LFN cartridges in a 12-ounce S&W Model 360."
I'd probably believe him.

I'm sure the gentleman in the video is very knowledgeable about the revolver, but IMO the company would do well to either replace him with someone who is a more polished speaker, or make him rehearse his presentations rigorously. The man missed lots of opportunities to promote his product.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I have fired a couple of the 10" .45-70 BFR revolvers, and while it's an experience, it ain't that bad. Just get a good grip, there's a little bit of muzzle lift. I was easily able to rid the world of several pesky milk jugs at 100yds.

I'd take one if somebody was givin' it away. :wink:

I believe that BlaineG owns a 7.5" BFR.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWiedner wrote:I have fired a couple of the 10" .45-70 BFR revolvers, and while it's an experience, it ain't that bad. Just get a good grip, there's a little bit of muzzle lift. I was easily able to rid the world of several pesky milk jugs at 100yds.

I'd take one if somebody was givin' it away. :wink:

I believe that BlaineG owns a 7.5" BFR.

:)
I had a 10". 405s @ 1400fps or so are stout, but not uncomfortable. I wore a thin leather glove only because the trigger guard would bite the heck out of my finger. I traded it for a nice 1895 in 405. I will have to get another one pretty soon, but a 7.5", and maybe have that one cut down a little and Magna-Ported.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doc Hudson wrote:The spokesman, a very ill-prepred spokesan I might add,said the revolver weighted six pounds. My old Marlin Guide Gun weighted 6.75 pounds. Recoil in that rifle was pretty darned stout.
I've fired a 12-gauge pump that was just one inch over legal overall length and barrel length, that had a grip kind of like a single-blade axe handle that was only barely longer than the tang, and even with SLUGS it was actually not unpleasant, if you used a two-hand 'Weaver' hold and stance. The same gun with a shoulder stock kicked very unpleasantly. I think the arm absorbs much of the recoil, IF the guns are similar weights. Now the thought of a Contender or Encore with full-house .45-70 loads just plain scares me...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I have shot one of those with 300 grain smokless loads and it is indeed like a 357. Hold out your hand and shoot it with a 357!
Well maybe not that bad but not my cup of tea.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

He says the frame is made of "magnesium bronze" but I'm pretty sure he means "manganese bronze". Magnesium might imply to people that it is meant to be lightweight. Manganese Bronze is a lot of things but "light weight" is not in that list.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.

I just noticed the tag-line. I like it... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I believe what KCSO says about how it might feel to shoot such a handgun. I guess I don't get the point; if you like handcannons, more power to you. I have a 7X30 T/C Contender and it can be a bit of a snorter with heavy handloads. Or maybe I'm just a wimp.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Batman1939 wrote:I believe what KCSO says about how it might feel to shoot such a handgun. I guess I don't get the point; if you like handcannons, more power to you. I have a 7X30 T/C Contender and it can be a bit of a snorter with heavy handloads. Or maybe I'm just a wimp.
I've always found that the high pressure fast loads smart more than the heavy bullet low pressure loads. Trapdoor loads pack a huge wallup, but are whimpy for recoil out of a BFR.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

BlaineG.

how much does that Big Freaking Revolver weigh?

Does it weigh more or less than a Guide Gun?
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I tend to avoid the extremes in firearms. Really light and small rifles and really big and heavy handguns.

My Win 94's weigh about 6 1/2 pounds...

I'm not dissing this or any other big arsed revolvers, just saying they're not for me. Feel that way about the S&W X Frames too. Just too much of a good thing.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

BlaineG. You make an excellent point. Kinda like the difference between my .54 cal Renegade (with Black Powder) and my 7mm RemMag. I am aware of that difference, should have made the connection to the handgun comparison. At my age things don't always tie-in logically. Thanks!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Doc Hudson wrote:BlaineG.

how much does that Big Freaking Revolver weigh?

Does it weigh more or less than a Guide Gun?
My 45-70 10" was about a few RCHs under five pounds....Not a one hander for me at all.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Blaine G. I'm not familiar with your units of measurement (RCH), though I can think of some words that might apply. Is this abbreviation one that should not be used in its entirety in polite, mixed company? If RCH stands for some legitimate units, I'd like to hear it. Thanks.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

Batman,
I am pretty mixed up polite society... RCH is a standard measurment... but decorum precludes me from citing the standard.

Most of us are working class blue collar kind of Joe the Plumber kinda guys (stuck in the 1950's lol) ... but we are not prudes.

Years ago I found if I ignore "things" that offend me as minor points in passing, they go away quickly.

Back on track? Good.

45/70 pistols... at six pounds need a jack and jockey cart to haul around dont they?
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

I also have one of the BFR's in 45-70. Being a single-action and can "roll", it's not bad. If it was a double-action, it'd break your wrist. I can't hit quite as good with it as my .357 or .44 Rugers, but I'm working on it and it won't be long.

EDIT: I just weighed my big ten-inch (man, I like the sound of that) and it weighs 4 lb 11oz w/factory grips and unloaded.
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Hillbilly, I think you may have misconstrued my question; I was in no way offended. Just seeking honest clarification. Guess that miscommunication occurs too easily using this medium--as the moderators have pointed out on some other recent threads.
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hillbilly »

batman 1939... good... we are on the same page.

RCH's run around .003"... about the same as read head hair... just a bit curlier.

Out.
always press the "red" button--- it's worth the effort and the results can be fun
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

I have shot one of those BFR's in 45-70, enjoyed it but would not buy one.
Just figured out the RCH thing :lol: :lol:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
crystal river charli
Levergunner 1.0

Post by crystal river charli »

I do not know about the 45-70, but I would love to have one in 30-30.

Charlie
I'm getting old. In my old age I find I long for the guns of my youth.
Revolvers and 1911's were the handguns of my youth.
I know them and I trust them.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have shot a 15" Encore barrel in 45-70 and it kicked pretty good! About like a .454 Casull Super Redhawk. The only thing I have shot that kicked harder was a 30-06 Encore pistol barrel with 180gr Hornady Light Magnum ammo, freakin' OUCH!!!
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A Red Curly Hair.....gosh! Red hair is the finest, then Blond and brown, then black. I'm not entirely sure why that would be impolite. :|

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV